We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrops in February 2012  (Read 107797 times)

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
Re: Snowdrops in February 2012
« Reply #270 on: February 08, 2012, 06:46:32 PM »
they are lovely but if it's anything like the one we have here they spread very fast & get into everything.

Richard  - I admit I am a tad apprehensive as Scilla hispanica and S. siberica are absolute thugs here.  You can pull all the foliage off as it emerges and they still spread.  Chionodoxa luciliae is just as bad but difficult to dislike.

johnw - -1 to 0c, clear skies.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 06:53:26 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #271 on: February 08, 2012, 06:58:10 PM »
Paddy - how beautiful and healthy your snowdrops look - they are very happy in your Irish garden thats for sure.  Absolutely stunning.  'Woodtown' is lovely.
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #272 on: February 08, 2012, 07:07:38 PM »
'Nothing Special' looks nothing special - am I missing something, or is it someone's little joke on the gullibility of galanthophiles?
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #273 on: February 08, 2012, 07:10:15 PM »
'Nothing Special' looks nothing special - am I missing something, or is it someone's little joke on the gullibility of galanthophiles?
Anne my friend has quite a large clump of it and looks lovely,it's a large flower and from what i can tell grows like stink.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #274 on: February 08, 2012, 07:13:48 PM »
Then they could have given it a better name, I think. ::)
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #275 on: February 08, 2012, 07:30:55 PM »
I agree but i think the story is the person who's garden it was found in was asked what is that snowdrop there called and the reply was why its nothing special so it was named nothing special.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #276 on: February 08, 2012, 09:07:45 PM »
I agree but i think the story is the person who's garden it was found in was asked what is that snowdrop there called and the reply was why its nothing special so it was named nothing special.

Which all goes to show how (pause for reflection).....No I won't say it. ::)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Ding Dong

« Reply #277 on: February 08, 2012, 10:37:37 PM »

If I was expecting a snowdrop scatigaz, I'd plant it in a pot of well draining gritty compost & keep it frost free until better weather. Last year I kept all my new acquisitions in pots protected from frost on the shady side of my bungalow & then planted them out in July when they were dormant bulbs. They had formed lovely firm bulbs as the protected environment helped them retain their foliage much longer than being out in the garden.

As soon as I unpack snowdrops I dip them in diluted Canna Rhizotonic root stimulator & Growth Technology 'SuperDrive'. I also water them in with the same solution. These are both expensive but a little goes a very long way & if I'm planting a £50 snowdrop I like to think I'm giving it a little kick up the behind........ From experience I've found it seems works.

Mike - I ordered the Canna Rhizotonic root stimulator on ebay but never realised you were talking about two products.  Do you mix the Growth Technology 'SuperDrive' with the Canna Rhizotonic to make an all in one potion?  I intend to try this on my Avon bulbs when they arrive bareroot (I pray they do not arrive too soon as we still have lots of snow on the ground and freezing temps at night).

I know several people are interested in these products as we chatted about it at Myddleton House on Saturday.  I am always interested in trying anything new and it makes sense that a healthy bulb will be more resistant to disease and other problems (except NF and Swift Moth of course).

So I use 4mls Canna Rhiz to one litre of water?

I may leave my 'precious' purchases ie. Cider with Rosie in a lattice pot this year in my net polytunnel or in the woodlands between the trees with netting thrown over them.  The Narcissus Fly is not getting this one  ???

thanks 
Jennie
Don't worry Jenny, we have sent out some orders this week, but are keeping an eye on the weather, and hopefully won't post out to anyone whilst they are still having freezing temperatures or snow - we will try our best  :)   
Owner of the world's angriest geese - with scars to prove it! Works for Avon Bulbs

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #278 on: February 08, 2012, 10:44:43 PM »
Ding Dong??? Now I wonder who that could be?  ;D No prizes for guessing!!
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #279 on: February 08, 2012, 11:10:26 PM »

Mike - I ordered the Canna Rhizotonic root stimulator on ebay but never realised you were talking about two products.  Do you mix the Growth Technology 'SuperDrive' with the Canna Rhizotonic to make an all in one potion?  I intend to try this on my Avon bulbs when they arrive bareroot (I pray they do not arrive too soon as we still have lots of snow on the ground and freezing temps at night).

I know several people are interested in these products as we chatted about it at Myddleton House on Saturday.  I am always interested in trying anything new and it makes sense that a healthy bulb will be more resistant to disease and other problems (except NF and Swift Moth of course).

So I use 4mls Canna Rhiz to one litre of water?

I may leave my 'precious' purchases ie. Cider with Rosie in a lattice pot this year in my net polytunnel or in the woodlands between the trees with netting thrown over them.  The Narcissus Fly is not getting this one  ???

thanks 
Jennie
Don't worry Jenny, we have sent out some orders this week, but are keeping an eye on the weather, and hopefully won't post out to anyone whilst they are still having freezing temperatures or snow - we will try our best  :)   

Welcome Ding Dong.......not the best weather for you at the minute, eh? Thanks for coming in to reassure folks!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ding Dong

« Reply #280 on: February 08, 2012, 11:18:59 PM »
Sorry to disappoint you Martin and Maggie - not Alan, just Maxine from the AB office  :)  The weather here is not too bad, just very cold, but snow forecast in the next few days.  Just hope it doesn't spoil the Gala for everyone!
Owner of the world's angriest geese - with scars to prove it! Works for Avon Bulbs

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #281 on: February 08, 2012, 11:38:09 PM »
Sorry to disappoint you Martin and Maggie - not Alan, just Maxine from the AB office  :)  The weather here is not too bad, just very cold, but snow forecast in the next few days.  Just hope it doesn't spoil the Gala for everyone!

Hi Maxine. That's what I meant - someone from Avon Bulbs, not necessarily expecting Alan or Chris. Heavy snow is expected here and down the M5 corridor Thursday night and Friday. If it's bad I may not make it to the gala. Then  again I'm coming down with something horrible and flu-like so might not have made it anyway.  :-\
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Mavers

« Reply #282 on: February 09, 2012, 08:33:03 AM »
Well Hello DINNNG DONNNG!! 8)

Sorry Jennie, yes I mix the two together 4ml of 'Rhizotonic' & 1ml of 'Superdrive' per litre of clean water. I draw up the product in a syringe & then squeeze out the amount required as I think it is important be very accurate with dosing.
Mike
Somerset, UK

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #283 on: February 09, 2012, 08:35:02 AM »
Hi Maxine,

Please note that the weather here in Waterford, south-east Ireland, is perfectly balmy; no frost, no ice, no snow. Snowdrops would be very welcome.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #284 on: February 09, 2012, 10:38:48 AM »
Sorry to disappoint you Martin and Maggie - not Alan, just Maxine from the AB office  :)  The weather here is not too bad, just very cold, but snow forecast in the next few days.  Just hope it doesn't spoil the Gala for everyone!

No disappointment at all, Maxine..... I knew you you are!
Not at all sure who I am, of course... you'd have to ask Matron......        ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal