We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrops in February 2012  (Read 107685 times)

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
Re: Snowdrops in February 2012
« Reply #630 on: February 25, 2012, 04:10:32 PM »
Wow! Wow! Wow! Gasp! Wow! Corr! Lovely!

I've definitely chosen the worst time to be away!

Mark, please don't tell me how quickly they are going over.  I'm not back for another week and fear I will have missed so much.  ??? :'(
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Pauli

« Reply #631 on: February 25, 2012, 04:59:43 PM »
Hello,

I was very surprised today when I looked at my G- woronowii plants. Most of them are dead, after a very warm December and January, February greeted us with -19C - the nearly flowering plants of that species could not stand it. Nearby plants of elwesii and plicatus survived without damage as did several named clones. Also the leaves of reginae-olgae showed no damage.
Our native nivalis was not that advanced and also survived without problems!
Herbert,
in Linz, Austria

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #632 on: February 25, 2012, 06:20:45 PM »
A little unusual flower from the inverse poculiforme group
NOBODY IS PERFECT - only a nivalis, but best for the continent
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #633 on: February 25, 2012, 06:25:23 PM »
Hello,

I was very surprised today when I looked at my G- woronowii plants. Most of them are dead, after a very warm December and January, February greeted us with -19C - the nearly flowering plants of that species could not stand it. Nearby plants of elwesii and plicatus survived without damage as did several named clones. Also the leaves of reginae-olgae showed no damage.
Our native nivalis was not that advanced and also survived without problems!

Really hard for the plants when there are such swings in temperatures. Pretty tough for the gardeners, too. :(
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #634 on: February 25, 2012, 08:42:23 PM »
John I dont know about England but it was 12c here today. More tulips are showing colour. Only 2 months early.
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #635 on: February 25, 2012, 10:15:36 PM »
A very pleasant day here, half an hour collecting seaweed and an hour's walk this morning on the strand and all in my shirtsleeves. Very warm. Cut grass in the afternoon.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #636 on: February 25, 2012, 10:21:54 PM »
You cut the grass? ??? :o    Merciful heavens.... that's a shock at this time of year. Makes me SO glad I lifted all of our grass long ago   ::) :D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

JimF

« Reply #637 on: February 25, 2012, 10:43:57 PM »
G. elwesii "R's Casaba". Aware of the previous discussion of the "Casabas" this is passed around here as 'Casaba'. I've not seen a photo or description of 'Casaba Boydii', I think it was. This looks like a small 'S. Arnott' truth be told. Very nice whatever it is.

Casaba NOT, alas!

I posted the above on Feb 18th. Yesterday I went to the original garden of origin with the owner. After careful checking the other clumps nearby we determined it was 'Straffan', not any "Casaba", moved about three feet from the parent clump by either moles or the stoloniferous ability of many of her drops.

I dug a wandering 'Pusey Green Tips' clump and found some bulbs with two inch long stolons, at least. (see photo), as some were cut during digging. She now has 4 documented varieties of drops that have moved via stolons. Curiouser and curiouser.

Jim

JimF

« Reply #638 on: February 25, 2012, 10:53:50 PM »
G. elwesii "L Cbs" IMG_5163.jpg could be G. bortkewitchianus http://www.snowdropinfo.com/galanthus%20bortkewitchianus.html
Mark Smyth

Thanks for the suggestion, Mark. However, after consulting the monograph and "Snowdrops" it doesn't appear to be that species. Everything indicates elwesii. It was found among flats of G. elwesii in a nursery all of which appeared to be dug wild or semi-domesticated. They were purchased wholesale from Holland as dormant bulbs according to the grower here.

If wild, it's possible it could have G. bortkewitchianus in its ancestry, but without a DNA test, I can't say.

Sorry for the delay in replying. Took longer to get to wifi this time.

Jim

JimF

« Reply #639 on: February 25, 2012, 10:59:40 PM »
Also, yellows seem to fade to olive as they age. I have noticed this with G. 'Primrose Warburg' in particular.Paddy

Paddy - Many years - if not most - Primrose Warburg and Wendy's Gold come out olive here.  PerhAps I have added too much dolomitic lime or bonemeal in the past.

johnw

Each week I bring in my blooming galanthus to the nursery, put them in a sunny south window for customers to see. We have fluorescent lights inside. By day 3 I've noticed some of the medium green marked flowers lighten towards yellow, while the yellows darken towards green. Perhaps like many yellow variegated leaved shrubs bright light and warmth is needed to intensify the color, while shade and cool temps. push them towards the greener side.

All my G. Edward Whittall Group plants are now back on the patio and are lovely yellows, save the ovaries which didn't change! While poor 'Wendy's Gold' just looks bilious!

Jim

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #640 on: February 25, 2012, 11:53:33 PM »
When you said stolons it was something I have never heard of before. Your photo shows bulbs trying to take themselves deeper. This is very often seen in congested groups.

Looking at your photo again they are very deep so maybe they are coming up.

One of Ian's bulb log shows this - but which one?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 11:55:09 PM by mark smyth »
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #641 on: February 26, 2012, 12:20:18 AM »
You cut the grass? ??? :o    Merciful heavens.... that's a shock at this time of year. Makes me SO glad I lifted all of our grass long ago   ::) :D

Third time since Christmas, Maggi.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

JimF

« Reply #642 on: February 26, 2012, 12:30:53 AM »
When you said stolons it was something I have never heard of before. Your photo shows bulbs trying to take themselves deeper. This is very often seen in congested groups.

Looking at your photo again they are very deep so maybe they are coming up.

One of Ian's bulb log shows this - but which one?

Here's the link to John Grimshaw's blog article on the phenomena.

http://johngrimshawsgardendiary.blogspot.com/2011/10/self-adjusting-snowdrops.html

Yes, those in my photo were deep, but the angle of the bulb end on top plant is what intrigues me. The odd thing about Barbara Flynn's "running" drops (it was in her garden I photographed the 'Pusey Green Tips' and where others move laterally) is that this lateral movement happens to some very non-congested clumps and cannot all be attributed to mole activity. 'Lady Elphinstone', for instance, has never clumped, but has moved into Barbara's well trod path where moles hadn't dug. They were hard to dig out. Nor were they very deep either. The bottoms of those bulbs were L shaped, pointing towards the original planting.  Many of her bulbs show laterally directed bulb parts. Stoloniferous is the wrong word, I agree. John's "Self-adjusting snowdrops" is somewhat better. So apparently galanthus can adjust up or down or side to side, at least in Barbara's garden.

I agree it's some reaction by the bulb to depth and congestion. Perhaps with 'PGT' they were too deep, and with 'LE' the soil was too compact. Our soils are very young glacial soils, in most cases with a top soil that's acidic in nature, made up of eons of coniferous humus - for what that's worth.

Whatever the reasons for this action, I find it fascinating. Nature still many tricks up her sleeves.

Hope you can find Ian's post for us, Mark.

Jim

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #643 on: February 26, 2012, 06:21:17 AM »
I agree with Mark (his second opinion), if a snowdrop is planted too deep it will form a 'stolon' some way up the stem.  I imagine next season this becomes the new bulb whilst the old bulb dies away, exhausted from the effort.  But bulbs can only move up by this means (unless the original bulb is upside down or sideways so the lower part of the stem projects sideways).  I read John Grimshaw's blog and I don't think my opinion on this differs from his.   
Almost in Scotland.

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #644 on: February 26, 2012, 06:54:43 AM »
Hello JimF
I agree with Mark and Alan too.
I always found only "false" stolon vertical (in to the depth) and never horizontal.
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal