We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus February 2012  (Read 36101 times)

ronm

Re: Crocus February 2012
« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2012, 01:52:38 PM »
I gave a talk this morning to a local gardening group and during the presentation I mentioned virus in Crocuses and later on viruses in Irises. I thought nothing about it until at the end of the talk I  was asked if the same virus attacked both Crocus and Iris, and I didn't know  :-[ :-[ :-[. Its something I've gone along with and never thought to ask. Can one genus infect the other?

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2012, 02:15:40 PM »
I gave a talk this morning to a local gardening group and during the presentation I mentioned virus in Crocuses and later on viruses in Irises. I thought nothing about it until at the end of the talk I  was asked if the same virus attacked both Crocus and Iris, and I didn't know  :-[ :-[ :-[. Its something I've gone along with and never thought to ask. Can one genus infect the other?

Ron, there are a lot of different viruses which can attack plants. And quite a few of them attack multiple genuses!

Take a look here: http://www.agls.uidaho.edu/ebi/vdie/sppindex.htm. It shows some known virusses with the respective susceptible host species.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

ronm

« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2012, 02:37:49 PM »
Cheers Wim.

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2012, 03:08:26 PM »
I gave a talk this morning to a local gardening group and during the presentation I mentioned virus in Crocuses and later on viruses in Irises. I thought nothing about it until at the end of the talk I  was asked if the same virus attacked both Crocus and Iris, and I didn't know  :-[ :-[ :-[. Its something I've gone along with and never thought to ask. Can one genus infect the other?
Some virus are selective, some attach very wide spectrum of plants. Such are for example Tobacco Rattle virus. It attacks all kinds of bulbs and other perrennials and weeds, too.Sometimes just weeds are source of infection of bulbs.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

ronm

« Reply #139 on: February 15, 2012, 03:34:29 PM »
Thank you Janis.

ronm

« Reply #140 on: February 15, 2012, 04:37:07 PM »
Just seen the nice photos of C.rujanensis, posted by Jon Evans on the AGS site, presented to the JRGC by the Director, RGB Kew. Nice timing.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 04:39:37 PM by ronm »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #141 on: February 15, 2012, 05:14:09 PM »
Just seen the nice photos of C.rujanensis, posted by Jon Evans on the AGS site, presented to the JRGC by the Director, RGB Kew. Nice timing.

Can you give a link, Ron?
Went to try to find it... followed a link from a search which lead nowhere.... :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ronm

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2012, 05:20:29 PM »
Thanks Ron.... I was looking in the Joint Rock Section .

Puzzled that elsewhere in the Forum it was reported that the Jopint Rock had no plants put up yesterday... but that must only have referred to galanthus. 
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Gerry Webster

« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2012, 05:23:48 PM »
Crocus vernus

A gift from Gert Jan van der Kolk who selected this form.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #145 on: February 15, 2012, 05:38:52 PM »
Wow :o 8) 8) 8) very nice!
Best wishes
Armin

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #146 on: February 15, 2012, 06:08:13 PM »
Gerry

I think that is a very nice form of ssp heufellianus or as some would say Crocus heufellianus
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Gerry Webster

« Reply #147 on: February 15, 2012, 06:21:34 PM »
Tony - I'm following Brian Mathew who regards C.vernus subsp. vernus as a single, very  variable entity.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #148 on: February 15, 2012, 07:36:35 PM »
Tony - I'm following Brian Mathew who regards C.vernus subsp. vernus as a single, very  variable entity.

So he does, how sensible
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

ronm

« Reply #149 on: February 15, 2012, 08:06:43 PM »
Gerry, the links you put me onto regarding C.pelistericus, from AGS bulletins proved most informative. Thank you.  ;)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal