We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Removing climber  (Read 6164 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Removing climber
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2012, 12:12:40 PM »

Hello Siri, welcome to the forum.  8)

If the hydrangea you moved was able to make a recovery from the move with around 15 to 20 litres worth of roots then I may feel brave enough to go help Angela move hers..... I thought it might be necessary to dig much more... and I'm getting too old for that! ;) ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Siri K

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2012, 12:42:02 PM »
Thanks for the welcome, Maggi!  :)

I didn't expect the Hydrangea to survive, but it did. The move was about 6-8 years ago, so I don't think I have any pictures - some PCs and crashes since that time.. But the climber is safe and sound.

Edit: I might add that my retired mom is eager at tending her plants - so the Hydrangea probably had perfect moisture at all times.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2012, 12:49:24 PM by Siri K »
Oslo, Norway

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2012, 01:29:14 PM »
Good point Siri, the after care of any plant that is moved is key to its survival. I believe that attention to aftercare is more important than timing for successful transplanting.
Luckily, Angela is devoted to her plants so she will be caring for them like babies!

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2012, 02:13:32 PM »
Angi,  I moved one when I first came to this house because it was south facing and looking sorry for itself.  Now its on the north side of the house its romped away.  But mine was not as big as yours when I did that.  I do think you'll end up losing the top growth though, and probably will take a few years to get back to the way you like it.  Good luck!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

angie

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2012, 06:39:06 PM »
Siri nice to have you on the forum and nice to hear that your Hydrangea survived. Still haven't attempted to remove the Hydrangea. I cut them back last year knowing that they would have to be removed. I tried digging one out but struggled as the roots were just like a mat.
I did on the other hand manage to remove some plants in the garden.

Chris these hydrangea will be getting moved to the back of the house which is north so thats good to hear that your plant is happy.

Here are some pictures, it looks such a mess. I hate having to move these plants.

First one is the large Acer's that had to be removed.
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Lina Hesseling

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2012, 06:52:10 PM »
This is a big project! I hope your Acer will survive and like his new place. Isn't it a great tree? We have a large one too and I specially like it in spring, when the new leaves emerge.

Lina.
Lina Hesseling, Winschoten, The Netherlands.

Graham Catlow

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2012, 07:07:16 PM »
Oh Angie! You probably don't want to hear this but I really liked that part of your garden. Although I'm sure your extension and redevelopment will match the quality of the rest of your garden as it matures over the next couple of years.

If only I lived closer I could have given you a hand to get those hydrangeas out ;)
Bo'ness. Scotland

angie

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2012, 07:46:08 PM »
Graham I liked that part of the garden as well. This is why we have never did the extension until now. I kept thinking I didn't want to dig out the Acer's. We would have lost our planning if we didn't start this year, it seemed such a waste of money if we didn't go ahead. I really don't know how things will work out with what is left but Derek promised to get the garden sorted out before we do the inside of the extension.
Pity you didn't live closer you could have designed the new layout. I thought about having a paved area and just using my granite troughs. One thing is there is now a little bit less to weed  ;D  I liked the way you arranged your troughs and would like do something similar.

Lina I hope the Acer's survive. The large Acer that I replanted across the path was my mums, it was large when we took it over four years ago. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it survives. We took a huge rootball with it. Just to lift it across the path it took four men. Derek and I are now at the age that things like this would kill us. Now to everyone that are still under 50 get everything the way you want as the minute you reach fifty its down hill all the way, eyes are first to go but that's not to bad as you don't see the dust and the wrinkles anymore  ;D

Angie  :)
Angie T.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2012, 07:54:31 PM »
Just to lift it across the path it took four men.

What a bit of luck... you don't need me to dig then..... ::) ;)

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2012, 08:06:13 PM »
Angie, in September 2010, in a gale,  a large Norway Spruce came crashing down across the roof of our house.  Apart from the damage caused, power and phone lines snapped, rafters smashed  etc, the thing that really upset me was that, attached to the tree was my pride and joy, 5-6 metres of Hydrangea petiolaris.  It was unintentionally wrenched!  The guys who came to cut up the tree were threatened with all sorts of things if they damaged  the hydrangea.  Surveying the damage they clearly thought I was crazy to worry about a bit of greenery.  David and I got out that evening and chipped it off the trunk and tied it back.  A few days later three of us managed to extricate the roots - some broken and all without soil.  We carried it to a 'temporary' home  where it has come through with flying colours.  Even had 2 flowers last year.

I am sure they are fairly hardy and as you were able to plan the removal it will survive. 

Good luck,

Susan
Dunedin, New Zealand

angie

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2012, 09:22:47 PM »
Just to lift it across the path it took four men.

What a bit of luck... you don't need me to dig then..... ::) ;)

Not this time Maggi   ;D ;D ;)

Susan, glad to hear that your Hydrangea survived. Must have been so much damage with the spruce coming down. We had two huge Scots pine trees 10ft from the house. When we had gale force winds I always worried that they would fall onto the house. We finally got permission from the land owner to fell the trees. I was relieved to see them go.

Angie T.

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2012, 07:24:40 PM »
Angie,  when we moved up here in '95 we dug up and moved two quite good sized acers.  they are relatively shallow rooted and took to the conditions here like a duck to water, so I have great hope that yours will succeed.  Fingers crossed....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

angie

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2012, 09:21:24 PM »
Angie,  when we moved up here in '95 we dug up and moved two quite good sized acers.  they are relatively shallow rooted and took to the conditions here like a duck to water, so I have great hope that yours will succeed.  Fingers crossed....

Chris thats good to hear. Last night it was real windy, I thought it might have blown the tree out of its new place. I have dug up so many bulbs, I never new I had so much.

Angie T.

John85

« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2012, 09:19:34 AM »
Angie ,to increase your chances you can spray your hydrangea with a antitranspirant or to put a light shade net over it.It will also reduce the air mouvement and so the need for water.
How much you will have to cut it back will depend of how much roots you 'll be able to dig up.As long as the balance is fine it'll be ok.Good luck and don't strain your back!

angie

« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2012, 09:44:00 PM »
Thanks John, Hopefully we should get them dug out at the beginning of the week. My husband broke my favourite spade the other day. He got me a new handle and promised he would have it sorted for me. I hate when he uses my spade  >:(

Angie T.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal