We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Removing climber  (Read 6151 times)

angie

Re: Removing climber
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2012, 10:28:23 PM »
Hydrangea removed and now in their new place. Had to cut them back more than l had hoped to do. Lets hope they survive. Now what do I do with all the stones, anyone want to come and build me a rockery. My friends got a shock at how little a soil I have here. I told them it's a windy spot here and my topsoil must have been blown away  ::) ;D

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Lina Hesseling

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2012, 10:41:23 PM »
Angie, looks as if they will be busy for a while. But the stones look great! You should use them again. Who will move them for you? You need an elephant!

Lina.
Lina Hesseling, Winschoten, The Netherlands.

angie

« Reply #32 on: March 02, 2012, 10:52:30 PM »
Lina luckily enough we have some strong young men that work for my husband. We about killed ourselves digging out the climbers, so much roots. I remember the days when we would have easily shifted those stones ourselves. Our heads still think that we can but the body no longer can  ;D I hope that we can do something with them but not sure. I need to make my garden less work so I have to be careful in what I do. Wish I could turn back the clock and be forty again  ;D

Angie T.

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2012, 07:01:10 AM »
Wish you lived next door Angie, those are awesome rocks to work with.  You could build your own mountain....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

jomowi

« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2012, 11:05:41 AM »
Wow, Angie - when you told me about the rocks in a private email, I had not imagined anything on such a vast scale!  What must the rest of your garden be like?  It does not give the impression of little soil and no rocks.  You once said an older building had been on the site - could the the rocks be demolished rubble from it?
Linlithgow, W. Lothian in Central Scotland

angie

« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2012, 03:55:09 PM »
Hi Maureen

Some of those stones had to be snapped before we could get them out. When we bought our house it was called Lochend Cottage, I am sure there was a spelling mistake and it should have been Rockend Cottage as you can see by the picture the ground it just rock with a little topsoil. I think I have a good bit more soil now, with all the plants I have bought over the years I have introduced a couple of tons of soil from the pots.

It was a hard dig for the men. I wasn't going to allow a digger into my garden and squash all my plants. I do feed them well at lunchtime, they need their strength ;D

Chris, I have a whole Pony paddock of stones from when we built our house 18 years ago. Some are really nice and have aged lovely.

Angie T.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2012, 10:49:17 PM »
Aren't strong young men wonderful! ;D

Angie, I'm sure you Acers will be fine. At one of my most favourite Australian gardens, not far from Otto's place, and called Cloudhill, two large Japanese mapeles were moved a few years ago to sit either side of a new pathway. At the time the maples were over 100 year old I believe and suffered no ill effects. Nowadays they are underplanted with hepaticas, cyclamen and similar things. I'll post the picture if I can find it.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

angie

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2012, 11:30:45 PM »
Lesley lets hope the Acer's will be all right, one good thing is we get plenty of rain this time of year. Nothing done this weekend, rained most of the time  :'(

Angie T.

SusanS

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2012, 09:19:00 AM »
Hi Angie,
those rocks look wonderful, make the ones Darren and I had to dig out of our garden look like pebbles.   :o

How on earth did you dig out your pond?  :D

Susan
Darren's t'other half

angie

« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2012, 01:39:23 PM »
Hi Angie,
those rocks look wonderful, make the ones Darren and I had to dig out of our garden look like pebbles.   :o

How on earth did you dig out your pond?  :D

Susan

Very strong young men  ;D They went down 6ft down. I did feel guilty as it was really hard just lifting the stones out of the hole. Once the pond was finished the men thought their hard labour was worth it. After this there is no more getting done. I am getting to old for all this, this watching tires me out  ;D

Angie T.

Graham Catlow

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2012, 05:25:52 PM »
Angie,
You should have got them to put the rocks on the other side of the foundations then got Derek to build a conservatory round them. Add compost then plant it up and what Derek thought was a conservatory is now an alpine house. ;)

Those rocks would make a seriously good rock garden. :)

Graham
Bo'ness. Scotland

angie

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2012, 08:17:49 PM »
Graham I wouldn't dare  :o Hey where do you get all the good ideas from. ;D  I never thought of that.

I did say to Derek the other day that I could do with another greenhouse. He said I need to have a major clear out of plants  :o He said I have to many pots. I did give him a reply but I can't post what I said on the forum  ;D

Angie T.

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2012, 09:46:49 PM »
Just ask him how many golf balls he's got Angie.....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

angie

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2012, 10:03:53 PM »
Chris one thing for sure is that he has lost more golf balls than I have plants. And my plants are a lot cheaper than his golf clubs, golf trips and off course his golf membership. Whats our membership here  ;D

Angie T.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2012, 10:46:03 PM »
A mere bagatelle Angie, compared with a golf club membership. ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal