We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: AGS On Line Show 2011  (Read 6035 times)

Martinr

AGS On Line Show 2011
« on: February 19, 2012, 09:08:17 AM »
I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet (If I've missed the thread elsewhere, apologies. I'm sure Maggie will apply the appropriate corrective treatment :o).

Definitely worth a look, not least because many of the exhibits are growing in the garden, not pots, and there are  a number of garden shots which are quite inspiring.

http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/competitions/online-show/

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
Re: AGS On Line Show 2011
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 09:14:59 AM »
Hi Martin,
Is this lack of a thread symptomatic perhaps of how few people are actually using the AGS site?
The on-line show is an excellent initiative that deserves greater exposure ... you have now ensured that.  :D
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Martinr

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 11:33:39 AM »
Hi Martin,
Is this lack of a thread symptomatic perhaps of how few people are actually using the AGS site?
The on-line show is an excellent initiative that deserves greater exposure ... you have now ensured that.  :D

Judging by the number of entrants I don't think it does indicate that, only that it is used by people not active on forums.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 11:43:54 AM »
Had a look at the AGS online show results.... so many great photos and super plants.
I see that a very large number of both the entrants and winners are SRGC forumists.... perhaps they all already knew what was there?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

maggiepie

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 11:47:12 AM »
I have looked at a few of the categories and my eyes are still boggled.
Have bookmarked the site and will look at others later with fresh eyes.
Some  amazingly beautiful plants.
Sighhhhhhhhhh!!

Helen Poirier , Australia

Martinr

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 11:57:09 AM »
It's also worth a look back through the years to see how it has developed and the increase in the quantity, and quality, of entries since 2006, indicated if, by nothing else, my own success declining by a factor of 4 :P :P :'(

Tony Lee

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 05:05:58 PM »
Yes Martin,I am in decline also,I did not have as many entries this time as in previous years,It is hard to keep finding and remembering to photograph something different each year.Your remarks on the ags dicussion page were interesting,only five or was it six of the exhibitors this time were there at the begining.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 08:27:31 PM »
There are some beautiful gardens pictured on this 'On Line Show'. I don't know about other gardeners but personally I love sharing my garden by opening it and writing about it (like many people do in blogs), but I don't so much like it being judged - I'm too good at doing that myself! I do wonder if this restricts the use of the AGS website? Gardens are very personal things and have so much more about them than simply the way they look - I think it is very much better to go about sharing the way you make them day to day and the enjoyment that comes from this, than trying to give them the same image as the Shows and Show plants. They are different and very individual.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Martinr

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 09:41:27 PM »
Tim, I disagree. Forget the 'judging', it's just a bit of fun that keeps us all from getting cabin fever. It opens up the AGS website, it doesn't restrict its use. You've mercilessly berated the website here and on the AGS forum for not doing a great job, now you're berating a bit that works. Give the guys a break!

Apologies to all, but occasionally I have to have a rant

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 10:30:09 PM »
Martin - I am in no way trying to criticise the wonder of either the Shows or the gardens on the website and the strength of my posts on the AGS website has been really in proportion to the lack of response, because of how much I think these things need to be discussed. My simple belief is that for the website to really work it needs to present at least some aspects of the Society in ways that capture the imagination of many more gardeners outside the Society. I've always been aware that there is quite a divide between my way of thinking and others, so it could be that I am wrong to be quite so 'merciless' (at heart I would love to grow many plants as well as so many AGS members!). Anyway I do take what you say seriously and value it and apologise if I have upset anyone.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:31:43 PM by Tim Ingram »
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2012, 10:06:21 AM »
And it's nice for the overseas members to have the opportunity to join in the shows which otherwise we couldn't. We're not so conceited are we that we don't like someone else's plant to be judged a better one than our own? I hope not.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2012, 10:54:54 AM »
The winning garden in 2011 is Luc scheldeman's - all the more remarkable considering a large part of it was a 'lake' surrounding an island bed (now a crevice garden) only 2 years previously

Well done Luc
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

LucS

• Luc II
  • bulbs from seed
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2012, 12:21:17 PM »
Thanks Arthur.

It took me many hours, tonnes of soil and a lot of new plants.

The same rock garden with the pond got a first in 2007, but I wanted to change this part at a certain time.
Luc Scheldeman
Torhout, Flanders, Belgium

KenC

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2012, 01:41:24 PM »
I think the On Line Show is great fun!  For the reason Lesley states and also because it's a rare chance to look in on members gardens from around the world.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2012, 02:13:22 PM »
Thanks Arthur.

It took me many hours, tonnes of soil and a lot of new plants.

The same rock garden with the pond got a first in 2007, but I wanted to change this part at a certain time.

:o :o ;D ;D   ( of course, Luc S is quite a young man.......... ;)  )
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal