We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Un-identified grubs  (Read 3115 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Un-identified grubs
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2012, 12:08:13 AM »
The ones I killed with boiling water were like the hairless one taken on 9/4/11 and the pic above it, is roughly what I know as daddy-long-legs, so maybe I wasn't too far out. The one we have here in numbers maybe a different species, don't know, but very similar.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2012, 10:37:40 AM »
The larvae of crane fly and St Mark's fly are very similar, Lesley, mainly it is the head that is different. To confirm the exact species of these Bibio larvae it seems that I would have to carry out an anal inspection; somehow I don't think so .... The good news is that Bibio just have a one year life cycle so, when these larvae pupate into flies in spring this infestation should be finished.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2012, 09:29:41 PM »
But will the flies not lay eggs which will turn into larvae then into pupae.....?
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2012, 06:40:18 AM »
Perhaps David is expecting it to rain for forty days and forty nights, in which case only two will survive? ;D
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2012, 07:56:22 AM »
That's next years problem, Lesley :-[ We have had the flies around for years and this is the first time i have found the grubs in the loam. Hopefully they will lay somewhere else this year.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal