We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Gardening Scotland 2012  (Read 13133 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Gardening Scotland 2012
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2012, 03:33:11 PM »
Lesley and Alan got mucked in like old hands placing and re-setting plants
Am I the only one with the suspicion that these two young persons were also the most lithe and light for hopping up and over the stand?  ::) ;) ;D ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Liz Mills

• Immediate Past President
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2012, 09:46:50 PM »
Yes, Maggi - they were the ONLY people allowed to access the central strengthened part of the stand - aged me offered to go up and help but Stan looked horrified and banned me.

We've all had a great time speaking to lots and lots of people who've come to visit the stand these last 2 days.  We've also been selling seed - at 20p and a £1 a packet and have already sold £500 worth - which means there's an awful lot of people with SRGC seed to grow - great for the Club.

It's been a superb team effort by lots and lots of members - I reckon about 50 people have been involved in one way or another - either lending plants, building the display or helping man the stand over the weekend.

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2012, 07:04:58 AM »
one of the floral hall exhibits that attracted most interest was the jubilee display of potato varieties.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2012, 07:08:16 AM by Stan da Prato »

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2012, 07:38:08 AM »
Some of the outdoor show and college gardens.
Macmillan Cancer Care garden; Model train garden with Beechgrove TV crew; Plant Explorers garden by SAC students; Desert island discs; Scott of the Antarctic; Sam's Olympic journey - this is the story of a girl in the Borders who competes in paralympic events following a freak accident ; Trellis garden of tranquillity

John85

« Reply #79 on: June 04, 2012, 12:58:52 PM »
I wonder why there isn't a better coverage of this event by the BBC.(or is it theEBC)
If they spend 15 hours for Chelsea(and the red button),two hours'd be a minimum to be fair to the Scottish people,even if they argue they want to keep it in proportion to the number of viewers.

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #80 on: June 04, 2012, 06:30:34 PM »
I didn't watch any of Chelsea, John, but from what I have heard people who did were very disappointed with the BBC coverage (EBC is for NNS ;-)). I understand that there were few shots of the stand and plants but a lot of time talking to 'celebrities'. Our 30 minutes though, was pure quality!
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 07:01:35 PM by David Shaw »
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #81 on: June 04, 2012, 10:59:28 PM »
NBIB has entered the pallet garden competition every year since it started. This year we focused on water conservation and the exhibit proved popular with both judges and the public.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:13:05 PM by Stan da Prato »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2012, 01:19:33 AM »
Well what can one say to add to the fantastic response to the most superduper show imaginable? Not much really except that I see at last why there were so many rehearsals, so much planning of the design and execution, and such meticulous attention to detail, carried out by Graham and his co-workers. That this was all carried out over a long period of time shows incredible commitment to the task and we are so fortunate that Stan was able to show blow-by-blow pictures of the whole process. Near the beginning I mentioned a "dry run" but never imagined what would follow and how wonderfully successful the finished display would be. I wish - boy do I wish, that I could have been there. Maybe next year?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 01:26:45 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2012, 04:03:14 PM »
Only saw this thread just now...  :o
Wonderful and well deserved result to all involved in the set up !
What dedication !!!! I bow in silent admiration...  ;)

Thanks very much to all picture posters as well - a great effort !!  :-*
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2012, 08:07:45 AM »
[I mentioned a "dry run" ]
Has this anything to do with Stan's last picture of the NBIB pallet, Lesley?  ::)
Hope you do manage to come over next year, we would love to meet you.
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Carol Shaw

« Reply #85 on: June 06, 2012, 08:55:16 PM »
I just want to say a huge THANK YOU to Stan for posting all the photos... And to acknowledge and praise the amount of time he Graham Wenham and Ian Pryde spent creating this amazing stand... Huge and hearty Congrats!
Carol
near Forres,Scotland [the banana belt]

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #86 on: June 06, 2012, 09:06:50 PM »
I haven't given up hope of getting Liz' pix, taken on the last day of set-up, online at some point!!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #87 on: June 06, 2012, 09:22:14 PM »
I just want to say a huge THANK YOU to Stan for posting all the photos... And to acknowledge and praise the amount of time he Graham Wenham and Ian Pryde spent creating this amazing stand... Huge and hearty Congrats!

..... and very much seconded.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #88 on: June 07, 2012, 09:04:52 AM »
And a big "thank you" to Maggi for posting excerpts from the telecast because, of course, we can't get it "in our area"!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2012, 11:01:57 AM »
We can't get it here either Fermi, so I watched it on line too.  And we can practically see Scotland from here.....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal