We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cypripedium 2012  (Read 49385 times)

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
Re: Cypripedium 2012
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2012, 11:22:02 PM »
Tony,

I find that repotting generally checks cyp growth and results in smaller growths for at least a year, sometimes two.
What is your view?

Regards,

David

David

I have not enough experience to form a view. Apart from C. formosanum which I have been growing in John Innes and grit for five years I have only recently started growing a selection of others. Ignorance was bliss with the formosanum which grew like a weed.I am just learning with the others and greatly appreciate hearing others ideas.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

angie

« Reply #76 on: April 11, 2012, 09:51:08 PM »
Angie - I buy my super coarse perlite from a local old fashioned horticultural supply shop.
It comes in 100 litre bags and retails for about £18.
That is a pretty competitive price and fills an awful lot of pots,

Regards,

David

Well thats a good price the best I could find was £24.99. Still if it can do a lot of pots its works out really cheap. Just need to find a good source for pumice and then I will be happy.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #77 on: April 12, 2012, 01:36:42 AM »
Angie,

I use a lot of super coarse perlite, too. It tends to be rather dusty and breathing in the dust is not good for you. The way around that is to pour a couple of gallons of water into the bag (make sure there are holes in the bottom), that will send the dust to the bottom and your perlite will be nicer to handle. NB it's best not to do this in your kitchen. ;) ;) ;)
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

angie

« Reply #78 on: April 12, 2012, 08:36:02 AM »
Angie,

I use a lot of super coarse perlite, too. It tends to be rather dusty and breathing in the dust is not good for you. The way around that is to pour a couple of gallons of water into the bag (make sure there are holes in the bottom), that will send the dust to the bottom and your perlite will be nicer to handle. NB it's best not to do this in your kitchen. ;) ;) ;)

See how lucky we bunch are. All these tips from the professionals  8) its great that we get all these tips to help us novices to grow our plants on.

Angie T.

monocotman

« Reply #79 on: April 12, 2012, 10:56:29 AM »
Angie/Maren,

agreed - the one drawback with perlite is the dust - it is REALLY irritating to the lungs - don't use it in a confined space.
I do as Maren suggests and use it damp or failing that, repot outside where the dust can disappear in a large volume of air,

Regards,

David
'remember that life is a shipwreck, but we must always remember to sing in the life boats'

Heard recently on radio 4

Neil

• Hardy Orchid Grower
    • The Hardy Orchid Society
« Reply #80 on: April 12, 2012, 11:28:11 AM »
I use a face mask when I unpack my perlite
Interested in Hardy Orchids then join The Hardy Orchid Society
Wanted Hardy Orchid Seed please pm me if you have some that you can spare
Sussex, England, UK Zone 9a

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2012, 11:39:24 AM »
Angie as for cost I paid £13 for 100ltrs in January, I always find the best deals are at hydroponic stores where people stock up to grow plants that really do make you happy ;)

You can also get it delivered buying off Ebay for £20 if there are no local suppliers. Just search perlite.

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2012, 08:06:48 PM »
Angie,

make sure you get the super coarse. Ebay sometimes tells fibs about the grain size. It should be 5 - 10 mm.

Actually, fixing the dust with a couple of buckets of water is my quick method. When I pull myself together to do it properly it goes like this:

1 get an empty dustbin or other container large enough to accommodate a sack of perlite
2 put on the face mask - or check wind direction, making sure it blows away from you - better to use a mask.
3 cut the perlite sack with a kitchen knife and empty the perlite into the waste bin
4 fill the bin with water
5 stir well with a long stick (broom handle) and leave
6 put a lid on the waste bin to keep out dirt, falling leaves etc.
7 take off face mask. 

Now when I want to use the perlite, I use a large sieve and fish it out of the water. That definitely leaves all the dust behind.

If used unwashed, it can be pretty bad for your lungs. Ever heard of coal miners' lung disease which they got from breathing in coal dust? it's a bit like that, just a different colour. :) :) :)

angie

« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2012, 10:54:50 PM »
Maren,  I am extra careful when it comes to dusty stuff as my mum was housebound because she had chronic pulmonary disease.
Thats a good idea putting the perlite into a bin. Thanks for taking the time to explain your methods.

Angie T.

yijiawang

« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2012, 05:24:35 PM »
My segawai in flower now, with light fragrant.

Stephen Vella

« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2012, 09:32:54 PM »
Very nice segawai.. Lovely green..thanks for showing
Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2012, 09:55:12 AM »
If excess water is a problem use perlite as it drains very freely. I used 80% with 10% loam and 10% orchid bark and rarely had to water pots in Dunblane. If too much water is not a problem then Seramis® can be used as it retains more water for longer. I initially used 40% Seramis® and 40% perlite, but found Seramis® increasingly difficult to obtain locally. I even used 80% perlite in the garden, firstly with pond baskets and later by just digging a huge hole and hoping the Dunblane clay would not invade the root ball too quickly. It seemed to work.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Jan

« Reply #87 on: April 20, 2012, 09:14:39 AM »
Cypripedium in my garden

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #88 on: April 20, 2012, 09:36:01 AM »
Jan, what a wonderful display!!! and how nice to meet you. Last time I was in Samarkand (1979), it did not look like a place for growing cypripediums. It was hot and dry and the wind was blowing in from the desert.
How do you manage it?  :) :) :)

Jan

« Reply #89 on: April 20, 2012, 09:50:45 AM »
Maren
Yes, you're right. In Samarkand is very hot. There grow bulbs in Europe Cypripedium

Jan, what a wonderful display!!! and how nice to meet you. Last time I was in Samarkand (1979), it did not look like a place for growing cypripediums. It was hot and dry and the wind was blowing in from the desert.
How do you manage it?  :) :) :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal