We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cypripedium 2012  (Read 51644 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: Cypripedium 2012
« Reply #195 on: May 15, 2012, 12:15:30 PM »
Hi Anthony,

Fortunately I don't have clay soil, but what's with the clay?  ???
My garden in Dunblane was solid clay. I had to dig huge pits and fill them with perlite to grow my cyps in the garden. Even then the worms would drag the clay in. With the rain we got - remember I could grow cyps in pots and rarely have to water them - would make my garden into a swamp. My lawn sloped 30o, and even a week after rain, the grass at the top would still be water logged. ::)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Stephen Vella

« Reply #196 on: May 15, 2012, 12:52:07 PM »
Anyone tried to import flasked seedlings to NZ? Shouldn't be a problem, except perhaps in the MAF imagination, as they are germinated on sterile media?
I don't know about NZ importation rules but in Aus you can bring in 12 flasks without excess fees. Phytos to prove they are flask grown. And a sight inspection fee. CITES is not needed for flask orchids. That's the easy part.
There's the risk of them dyeing even before they arrive, its all about timing. Flasks were available in April, August would be better but the labs in the northern hemisphere could not provide this. In April I had a batch overheat on arrival at Sydney airport when it was 30c. Cyps in gel media are very sensitive to temperature fluctuations.  I lost some to a bacterial rot when in growth the first year. Its a cheap way to import a lot but expect a lot of losses. I managed to keep alive 20% over the years and are all species so it was a challenge.

Best to do some research, speak to MAF officers and ask if your able to import flasks and the costs?

Overall I know of some importers that imported 2 yr old hybrids to Aus with exemptions to fumigation and thats where the losses were.
Good luck!
Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

John Aipassa

« Reply #197 on: May 15, 2012, 03:53:58 PM »
My garden in Dunblane was solid clay. I had to dig huge pits and fill them with perlite to grow my cyps in the garden. Even then the worms would drag the clay in. With the rain we got - remember I could grow cyps in pots and rarely have to water them - would make my garden into a swamp. My lawn sloped 30o, and even a week after rain, the grass at the top would still be water logged. ::)

Thanks. Luckily I have sandy soil. The rain just poors through, but I have to be careful. Some tiny parts of the garden have a layer at a depth of 30 cm, which is highly compressed and does not drain very well. If I do not open that layer up, which is about 20 cm thick, I will have a tiny swamp there too. For every Cyp clump I dig down deep to be sure such a layer is not present.

How is your NZ soil? Better suited than in Dunblane?
John Aipassa, Aalten, The Netherlands
z7, sandy soil, maritime climate

"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." - Aristotle

John Aipassa

« Reply #198 on: May 15, 2012, 04:00:29 PM »
After three years in the ground and only showing leaves my x alaskanum is finally flowering now. Yee Haw!
John Aipassa, Aalten, The Netherlands
z7, sandy soil, maritime climate

"In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous." - Aristotle

Hakone

« Reply #199 on: May 15, 2012, 05:29:56 PM »
Cypripedium Gabriela

EDIT by Forum Moderator :   Apologies -some earlier photos posted by Hakone have been removed because  of a security issue with their remote hosting site.

Graham Catlow

« Reply #200 on: May 15, 2012, 07:48:40 PM »
My first this year, and a new one for me from a very kind forumist :) Two flowers now and another to come. Rather bent over by the wind, rain and hail of the last few days.
Cypripedium 'Giselle'

Edit. Oops wrong thread this is in the garden not a pot. :-[
maggi edit : it's in the right place now ;) :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 08:30:21 PM by Maggi Young »
Bo'ness. Scotland

Graham Catlow

« Reply #201 on: May 15, 2012, 08:42:04 PM »
My first this year, and a new one for me from a very kind forumist :) Two flowers now and another to come. Rather bent over by the wind, rain and hail of the last few days.
Cypripedium 'Giselle'

Edit. Oops wrong thread this is in the garden not a pot. :-[
maggi edit : it's in the right place now ;) :)

Thanks Maggi,
But I thought I'd gone mad ;D I didn't see your edit at first and went looking in the Cyps in pots thead to see what I had done and was just about to edit my edit to remove it so I didn't look as though I didn't know what I was doing, and then I saw your edit and realised I didn't neeed to edit my edit. ???
Bo'ness. Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #202 on: May 15, 2012, 08:48:02 PM »
I often feel like that, Graham... sit down with a cuppa or a beer and you'll soon feel better  :-*
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Graham Catlow

« Reply #203 on: May 15, 2012, 08:52:04 PM »
Time for a cuppa then!
Bo'ness. Scotland

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #204 on: May 15, 2012, 11:11:08 PM »

How is your NZ soil? Better suited than in Dunblane?
Solid clay, but I don't think we have a cold enough winter to grow them successfully?

goofy

« Reply #205 on: May 16, 2012, 12:23:36 PM »
hello,
today some species Cyps

Cypripedium calceolus

Cypripedium guttatum

Cypripedium pubescens

enjoy

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #206 on: May 17, 2012, 03:10:51 AM »
I had a clump of calceolus which grew in the shade. The tepals were always washed out, greenish with very little of the dark maroon, so I moved it to full sun (actually, anywhere north of Yorkshire, full sun is regarded as light shade) and from then on the tepals were really dark and I was happy. ;D

Mavers

« Reply #207 on: May 17, 2012, 09:45:09 AM »
Thought you might like to see my cypripedium 'Emil'.

It was my first foray into cyp's & it was a tiny thing when I bought it from Paul Christian. I planted it in free draining compost in a terracotta half pot as I read they were shallow rooted & needed sharp drainage. It didn't do very well at all just one stem each year for the next five or so years & the leaves were yellowish.

About two years ago I decided enough was enough, if it was tough enough to survive my learning curve then it should be tough enough to survive re-potting in to a deep plastic rose pot with better planting substrate. Since then it has romped away.

I picked up a tip from a grower of tropical orchids to use 'Orchid Focus' fertiliser as it does not contain nitrogen in the form of urea which he said orchids dislike.

Mike
Mike
Somerset, UK

yijiawang

« Reply #208 on: May 17, 2012, 11:04:16 AM »
Cypripedium sp3, maybe a form of tibeticum or macranthum, or tibeticum X franchetii. Anyway, very very beautiful!

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #209 on: May 17, 2012, 11:48:52 AM »
Nice form of 'Emil' Mike. I grew it in the garden and it went from a wee non flowering plant to 60 flowering stems in just a few years.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal