We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cypripedium cultivation ?  (Read 6133 times)

sottych

Cypripedium cultivation ?
« on: February 19, 2012, 06:31:17 PM »
Hello everyone ,
Thank you for all your good advice after your testing , exchanges,...

Can you tell me in general and following your test , if it is better to cultivate Cypripediums in pots or in -ground , some species requires more attention , and pot it may be easier to controlled ?

What can you advise me as to cultivate species of Cypripedium in the same conditions as Reginae , with Ferns, Hostas,... , in partial shade.

Thank you everybody

Christian
Passion for botany and marveled at the Pleiones 30 years.
I visited the greenhouses of Ian BUTTERFIELD
East-central FRANCE

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
Re: Cypripedium cultivation ?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 07:00:36 PM »
Hello Christian,

I would expect that most people would say that it is better to cultivate at least the 'easier' Cypripediums in the ground, given the correct conditions. Growing in pots gives you much more control over compost, watering and so on, but there are downsides to this: keeping the roots cool in summer, protection from frost in winter, etc. Having said all that, I grow all of my Cypripediums in pots as our garden is infested with tree roots, and I feel that we may move house at some point so I would not want to leave them behind!

You don't say where you are gardening - this would have a significant impact on any advice.

Peter
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

sottych

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 05:21:02 PM »
Hello Peter ,
Thank you for your message .
I'm in FRANCE , toward the center of the country , I have already Reginae that grows well in full-earth , but I think the next Cypripediums will be grown in pots .
Thank you for your advice .

Christian
East-central FRANCE

Peter Maguire

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 10:11:00 AM »
Hi Christian,
I would guess that in central France your main challenges to growing Cypripediums in pots would be enough water in summer, and preventing overheating, also in summer. I would keep the pots/plants shaded, especially from the mid-day sun: my Cypripediums in pots receive no more than an hour of direct sunlight each day in early summer, and that seems to be enough to keep them relatively compact. Too dense shade covering can cause then to be drawn up and flop over when the heavy flowers open - I use the shade netting which is on the greenhouse to shade the plants sufficiently; they are outside on the north side of the greenhouse, and that seems to be about right for them.
They also receive water from an automated sprinkler for 15minutes twice a day during the summer in the morning and evening, this is sufficiently automated to allow me to just have to remember to feed them regularly, but they do OK if I forget to do this for a few weeks.
The other thing to consider with pots is to prevent them freezing in winter. Once the foliage has died down, my Cyps are all brought inside the alpine house and stored under the plunge beds (which are raised). They need to be lightly watered about every 6-8 weeks to prevent the compost drying out.
Peter Maguire

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

sottych

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 05:56:23 PM »
Hello Peter ,
Thank you so much for your valuable advice , I would tell you my experience.

Thank you for your sympatie
Cordially
Christian
East-central FRANCE

angie

« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2012, 11:57:15 PM »
Thought there was to much talking about Cypripediums in Marks Dactylorhiza 2012 topic.

Darren I don't have Cyp, fasciolatum but googled it and it looks very nice.

Glad to hear that others have their Cypripediums in growth. I will protect with fleece when there is a frost forecast. The last few warm days have brought the plants on but I noticed that the temperatures will be back to what we would expect for this time of year by the weekend so hopefully this might slow them down.

Peter you must have been disappointed having 58 buds on your plant and only having 5 flowers, what a sight it would have been if they all flowered. Maybe this year it will have a wonderful display.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

sottych

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 07:34:05 AM »
Hello everybody

Can someone explain the operation of the certificate of origin for a plant botanical protected,but multiplication and artificial culture.
As the botanical species of Cypripedium.
For the purchase of Cypripedium,some say that the invoice serves as proof.
Thank you for your answers,that I may be enlightened on this issue.

Cordially
Christian
East-central FRANCE

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 12:37:06 PM »
Hi Christian,

why don't you scan the document so that we can read it fully.

As far as cypripediums species are concerned, they are fully protected and require CITES and, depending on the country of importation, phytosanitary certificates. If you buy these plants in your country, the seller must be able to show that the plants were either laboratory grown from seed or imported under license.

If you buy the plants from ebay, it is unlikely that such information will be provided. If you are showing these plants publicly, you take the risk that someone with official powers might confiscate the plants or, worst case, prosecute you.
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

sottych

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 05:26:48 PM »
Hello  Maren  ,

Thank you for your informations ,
It was just information ,I do not document.
But I see some stange producers provide protected  plants without providing these documents !!!
(your PLEIONE F. 'Clare' is almost in bloom !)

Cordially
Christian
East-central FRANCE

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 11:35:19 AM »
Hi Christian

There is no official certificate required to sell or distribute plants protected under CITES within the EU and as long as you have proof of purchase which shows the origin of where you bought the plant (within EU), you have to take it on good faith with the seller as to where they sourced their plants from or cultivated themselves via In Vitro propagation or even set seed naturally. This applies to individuals with private websites offering to sell such items, like myself (Koolplants)with Pleione species as well as bigger nurseries within the EU like Popow Orchids (lepantes – Ebay) who also use a modern way of selling like eBay which reaches a far larger audiences than small websites ever will. There are other well known nurseries which sell on eBay but again under different usernames believing some people frown on plants bought this way. The have the last laugh as people still buy the same plants but directly from their nurseries and usually at higher prices.

Internal trade within the European Union
Internal trade in the EU includes trade within one EU Member State as well as trade between individual EU Member States.  Due to the establishment of the single market in the European Union, there are no internal border controls and generally goods can be moved and traded freely within the EU.  Consequently, no permits or certificates are needed for the movement of specimens of a species, although individual EU Member States have the power to restrict the holding of certain types of specimens. (From CITES).

You can usually tell if Cypripedium or Pleione have come from the wild just by looking at them.  Also if you’re very lucky and your own Cyps set seed naturally and you end up with several seed grown plants how do you prove where they came from if you decide to sell them? I’ve seen pictures of bulbs shown on here before of plants bought in good faith from an EU nursery which were without doubt wild collected imports. With Pleione humilis for example if grown well it can produce multiple new bulbs and bulbils, so how do you prove these are EU cultivated and not new imports?

Like most of the EU the only people authorised to confiscate anything are either Customs or Police. Even ‘experts’ working for CITES themselves have no power of confiscation and can only advise where they believe a crime has been committed.  I doubt you will ever have a plant confiscated as I’m pretty sure they have no interest in individuals who have bought a few plants of the internet when there are far bigger fish to catch.

You can always ask the seller of the plants where they came from if it’s on EBay or a private website before or after the sale if you are in doubt as to the origin but will have to take their response in good faith unless they are imported and paperwork can be shown. Even this proves nothing as you can't show the plant you are actually buying is one that was imported on that paperwork. Unfortunately even some of the biggest nurseries (Gold Medal Winners) obtain some of their stock from wild collected material but believe they are buying cultivated plants, or should I say prefer to believe they are buying cultivated plants just because they are provided with a Phytosanitary Certificate and Cites. They even sell some of these Orchids in smaller quantities to other nurseries who also then sell as cultivated stock.

I currently have over 3000 flasked Pleione including all known species and 1500 flasked Cyps as well as many other orchids and apart from taking some photo’s there is no way in five years time I could prove they were grown In Vitro.

sottych

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 05:50:30 PM »
Hello KILLER ,
Thank you very munch for all these details, because it is still a complex ,when the only good source in the right time !
Thank you again !
I'll watch your plants for sale include purchases of Autumn,
Cordially
Christian
East-central FRANCE

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 08:00:17 PM »
Hi Christian

No more Cyp sales for a few years now as they are too small for sale or still flasked but there will be a few new hybrids in the future. Pleione sales only now for a few years and many of Paul Cumbletons hybrids.

All the best

David

fredg

• Carnivorous Plants & Friends
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 03:49:05 PM »
That's just not good enough David

I've been waiting for your 2012 listings  >:(
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
Mansfield Notts. UK Zone 8b

http://fredg.boards.net/

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2012, 05:26:00 PM »
Cyps. are  ready to flower.

Peter Maguire

« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2012, 06:56:48 PM »
You're 2-3 weeks ahead of me Michael.
I assume that that is Cyp formosanum?
Peter Maguire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal