We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Loughborough 2012  (Read 11435 times)

veteran vet

Re: Loughborough 2012
« Reply #75 on: March 11, 2012, 08:01:31 PM »
More pictures from the class 1 six pan and the Dionysia
Dinoysia curviflora x tapetodes MK9109-4
Dioysia 'Ewesley Legacy' so must be onbe fromthe Eric Watson era
Dionysia MK99310-27...an f2 hybrid
Dionysia PMK-MK03146-4

The Farrer medal winner by Eric Jarrett, Dionysia termeana...the pundits said it was as good as it could possibly be grown

veteran vet

« Reply #76 on: March 11, 2012, 08:10:09 PM »
There were a few more Dionysia on display so I will put these up now before doing other plants
Dionysia broides from Derek Pickard...he says his best plants are still coing on....look out Blackpool
Dionysia 'Tess' Bob Fenwick shown in the B section and only getting a 2nd (but a Cert of Merit), was a really good plant taking up the full 19cm pot but took the pic partly cause my new Springer Spaniel is called Tess!
Dionysia Bevere again by the Ransons...it may have been part of class 1

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #77 on: March 11, 2012, 08:11:32 PM »
What super dionysias...... even allowing for the odd colour from the hall lighting, these are lovely plants.

The yellow of D. termeana is very cheerful, isn't it. Few more of those and the light would have been better! ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #78 on: March 11, 2012, 08:12:26 PM »
Good grief! What in the name of goodness beat the lovely D. 'Tess' ???   :-\

veteran vet

« Reply #79 on: March 11, 2012, 08:38:02 PM »
Good question Mags so I will put the winner of the class up next
Corydalis nudicaulis Cert of Merit(I think thats right) by Peter Taggart...I did look at the class quite closely and it is probable that the corydalis is not quite out but I don't remember seeing it at a show...I spoke to the judges after and it won 2 out of 3...nuff said. They are still both cracking good plants
More corydalis seeingt its come into play
Corydalis darwasica shown by Bob & ranveig Wallis
Corydalis sewerzowii by Ivor Betteridge both 'at a distance and closer up...do like this
Corydalis kuznetsovii by Don Peace

veteran vet

« Reply #80 on: March 11, 2012, 09:01:36 PM »
A few Iridaceae now
 Crocus heuffelianus 'Brian Duncan'..shown by me, was a bit miffed ot only got a 3rd, such is life beat by
Iris Willmottiana Ivor Betteridge
Crocus vernus albiflorus Clalre Oates
some Fritillaria
Fritillaria alburyana Geoff Rollinson...this frightened most of the other frits into other classes but I stuck in
Fritillaria tubiformis in the class as I like it. There were other nice frits, all small pan (the large pan class had only two entries). The next two are both shown by the Wallsi clan
Fritillaria carica
Fritillaria crassifolia ssp crassifolia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #81 on: March 11, 2012, 09:09:32 PM »
Good question Mags so I will put the winner of the class up next
Corydalis nudicaulis Cert of Merit(I think thats right) by Peter Taggart...I did look at the class quite closely and it is probable that the corydalis is not quite out but I don't remember seeing it at a show...I spoke to the judges after and it won 2 out of 3...nuff said. They are still both cracking good plants

Oh, Ho! That's a cracker too!

veteran vet

« Reply #82 on: March 11, 2012, 09:21:32 PM »
In the main the Primula allionii classes were down in entry numbers bit there were still nice plants on display although I did not photograph many. Geoff Rollinson had a nice three pan in the larger classes one of which was P A Mary Berry, the other two were P A Joan Hughes (at the back) and P A 'Anna Griffith' still one of the best
Although the saxifragas had quite a decent entry it was generally thought that quality was back on previous years. However Tommy Anderson produced a very large pot with
Saxifraga 'Allendale Grace' which won the Saxifraga Society Salver and a Cert of Merit
Saxifraga x dinninaris shown by Robert Rolfe, full of buzz as usual but nursing a rather nasty gash on the fleshy part of his hand done that morning on his garage door, he's of to Peru on Monday morning for a week so we were all hoping that the wound would be ok...I offered to put a few stitches in but he would have none of it!!
Saxifraga 'Coolock Gem' from Ian Kidman

angie

« Reply #83 on: March 11, 2012, 09:31:30 PM »
Brillant pictures. That Dionysia 'Tess' is just perfection. What a dream.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #84 on: March 11, 2012, 09:41:44 PM »
George I was at the venue from 8.45am until 4.30pm-ish

No photos from me. I didnt know how to change the camera light setting to orange sodium lights.

My favourite plants were the perfect spider orchid, two Cymbidiums, a few Frits, mini Narcissus ....

Anyone know who was selling plants opposite Edrom? They have a miniature ash tree I should have bought.

Edrom sold out except for a few Hepaticas and Cyps - well done. I would love to see them come to our show but the committee says no -grrrr
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

veteran vet

« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2012, 09:46:22 PM »
I am getting through them, down to 'odds and sods' but this is notmeant to be demeaning to the plants as there are some really nice ones to come. The Narcissus in the main were much fewer in number and mainly 'garden hybrid' types but
Narcissus cyclamineus won the Narcissus Salver for Clare Oates
It would not be a show without Cecelia Coller bringing a van load of wonderful plants and two I photographed were
Iphion sellowianum .... one of several pans of this Cecilia had on display
Hepatica nobilis var japonica...there were very few hepatica on display

veteran vet

« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2012, 09:57:21 PM »
I am having a bit trouble with the server so I am glad to be down to the last few pictures
Rhododendron leucapsis Harry Roberts...not sure if the spelling is right but its what the label says. I had a dickens of a job getting a picture at all because of the hall lighting but its something like it should be.
Eric Jarrett had a fine day as in addition to winning the Farrer he won the best pan of American with
Trillium nivale ad won the large cushion class with
Benthamiella patagonica and the silver class with
Santolina elegans...as good an example as I have seen, compact dome 24cm accoss
Erics trillium beat my
Viola trinervata for the American prize

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2012, 10:03:54 PM »
Saints preserve me.... what I wouldn't do to have a pot of Trillium nivale like that?

Super violet, George. You always do so well with that.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #88 on: March 11, 2012, 10:06:12 PM »
Another great show. Thank you George, for pushing aside all the banter and getting to the nitty gritty, remembering perhaps that those who can't attend still like to see the plants. Some gorgeous plants there and especially fine for someone stuck in that deadish time between summer and autumn. Summer's finished and the autumn lot haven't really got going yet.

But well done everyone. I'd have loved to be there to help unload Potterton's van and wouldn't have had to hurry to the sales tables - except to look. :'(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

veteran vet

« Reply #89 on: March 11, 2012, 10:06:23 PM »
Last two I think. Yesterday was a long day, 400 mile round trip, not as long as Mark but long enough and putting up with Kidders in the car for 5 hours will test any man (only joking Ian but I wish you would keep your eyes on the road when doing 90mph instead of smoking with one hand and driving with the other....glad I slept a bit on the way down) As Mark says the nurseries seemed to have a really good day, not many plants left on the tables by the end of the day.
Synthyris renniformis 'dwarf form' in the rare in cultivation class, shown by Brian Burrow
 The winning pan of Sedum shown by M & S Lloyd, unfortunately I missed getting the name but it was a blemish free specimen

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal