We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: garden plants progressing too quickly  (Read 1426 times)

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
garden plants progressing too quickly
« on: March 09, 2012, 12:56:46 AM »
More of a moan.

I cant believe how fast the plants in my garden are coming up and going over. Is anyone else experiencing fast turn over?

All snowdrops are now over, Narcissus will probably be over in days, most tulips are now in flower, Gavota and clusianas are the last, Daphne mezereums in full flower, dwarf Daphnes are in bud

I never noticed Scoliopus biglovii was up and flowering. It's now over
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
Re: garden plants progressing too quickly
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 03:55:14 AM »
Not here, though it was a lovely warm 10° today. 

My clump of Galanthus elwesii Hiemalis which normally comes out
at the beginning of December didn't come out till sometime in February
and is still in flower, though looking a bit ragged today.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 06:05:57 AM »
Mark,

I'm thinking those Crocus might need some attention too!!  :o  They're determined to carry on, aren't they?

Here, things are shooting out of season.  I already have hoop petticoat daffs up, and it's the middle of summer.  The variety furthest up leaf-wise usually shoots about June from memory.  Very cool summer, lots of rain, and lots and lots of confused plants here. ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

angie

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 08:04:04 AM »
Not sure how far ahead my plants are but I have never had to cut my grass this time of year before. I need to get rid of some of the grass or get a couple of sheep.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Graham Catlow

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 08:13:28 AM »
Not sure how far ahead my plants are but I have never had to cut my grass this time of year before. I need to get rid of some of the grass or get a couple of sheep.

Plenty of rock there to turn a lawn into a rock garden Angie ;D
Bo'ness. Scotland

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 09:19:09 AM »
Some people here cut their grass last month. The council has been out cutting grass also

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 11:01:40 AM »
My Clematis Mary Rose has new growth at least 2 feet 60cm long

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 11:20:23 AM »
Some people here cut their grass last month. The council has been out cutting grass also

The other week Paddy had already cut his grass three times.. it's probably four or five times now. :o

I'm just glad I don't have any grass anymore  ;D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Palustris

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 12:49:38 PM »
Must be milder  up near Aberdeen than it is here, our grass (or what passes for it) has not grown much since it was last cut in August. Not so much as things going over quickly as the way things have flowered at the wrong time. The Snowdrop wood is now all green and normally there would be Celandines out. The wood anemones in part of the garden are in flower, yet in other places it is barely showing above the soil. There are Erythroniums just about to flower and the same type elsewhere, I have had to move the soil to see if they are still alive. Strange!

angie

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 01:02:08 PM »
Ok I did say my grass was already 6ft high ::) I always think once you start cutting the grass it grows quicker so I try and leave the cutting till I have to.  Folks might think I am really sad but I do enjoy cutting grass. I sing away happily, nobody can hear me above as the lawnmower, it drowns out my voice. No neighbours to worry about wouldn't want to upset them.

Graham I have an acre and a half of grass. I need someone with an eye and good taste to tell me what to do and I know exactly the person for this.
Guess who  ::) ;D, he has a lovely avatar and has a really nice garden. Have you guessed who  ;D ;D ;D ;D . The rocks are still in the same place, no hurry just when you have a spare minute. Hey we could do a rock garden competition in my garden, the more folk who could come the better. I could soon have all my grass covered  ;D

Angie :)
Angie T.

angie

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 01:07:33 PM »
Must be milder  up near Aberdeen than it is here, our grass (or what passes for it) has not grown much since it was last cut in August. Not so much as things going over quickly as the way things have flowered at the wrong time. The Snowdrop wood is now all green and normally there would be Celandines out. The wood anemones in part of the garden are in flower, yet in other places it is barely showing above the soil. There are Erythroniums just about to flower and the same type elsewhere, I have had to move the soil to see if they are still alive. Strange!

It has been a really mild winter and we have had some nice days. As for the grass it maybe just that we have had more rain up here.

You sound a bit like me, I am always pocking about the soil to see if my plants are still alive. I have no patience one of these days I will knock the growing point of one of my plants that's for sure.

Angie T.

Graham Catlow

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 06:33:39 PM »
Ok I did say my grass was already 6ft high ::) I always think once you start cutting the grass it grows quicker so I try and leave the cutting till I have to.  Folks might think I am really sad but I do enjoy cutting grass. I sing away happily, nobody can hear me above as the lawnmower, it drowns out my voice. No neighbours to worry about wouldn't want to upset them.

Graham I have an acre and a half of grass. I need someone with an eye and good taste to tell me what to do and I know exactly the person for this.
Guess who  ::) ;D, he has a lovely avatar and has a really nice garden. Have you guessed who  ;D ;D ;D ;D . The rocks are still in the same place, no hurry just when you have a spare minute. Hey we could do a rock garden competition in my garden, the more folk who could come the better. I could soon have all my grass covered  ;D

Angie :)

Angie
That last part is an excellent idea. You could invite ZZ or Peter Korn, or Ian (the Christie kind), or another expert to give a master class in rock garden building, and invite forumists and members to the class. Charge the participants in cakes and chocolate.. End result - a rock garden and lots of goodies. ;)
Bo'ness. Scotland

angie

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 07:18:30 PM »
New you think it was a good idea. You could off course start planning it for me  ;D

Angie T.

Graham Catlow

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 07:46:10 PM »
New you think it was a good idea. You could off course start planning it for me  ;D

:)
Bo'ness. Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal