We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Weldenia  (Read 3412 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Weldenia
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 10:02:47 PM »
Thanks Lesley,

I think when I repot my main pot this year, I shall be putting a few pieces about the place.  ;D

Last year I was sent a photo (regular old kind I think) from DS in Mt Tomah NSW, of one of the originals I sent there back in, I think about 2001 or 2002. I don't think he can have divided it at all at that stage because it seemed to cover just about a round metre of ground, an enormous plant. Unfortunately the photo was taken at the very end of the flowering so it was mostly just foliage but there had been hundreds of flowers by the look of it. It had been in the garden ever since he had it. Being alpine country, his garden is far from frost-free in winter, and snow occasionally.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Shadylanejewel

• Shadylane Nursery
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 05:16:26 AM »
 :o :o :o

Did a google search since I wasn't familiar with Weldenia and from the description sounds fabulous! 

Indeed it is and now is on my ever expanding wishlist. 

a fool and his money .....

Definitely not a fool Mark - it was a very wise investment.  ;D

http://www.alpinegardensociety.net/image_files/onlineshow/sizedWeldenia%20candida9255.JPG
Julie Lockwood
Greetings from SW Washington The Evergreen State
USDA Zone 8b −9.4 °C (15 °F) -6.7 °C (20 °F)
Heat Zone 4 15-30 days exceeding 30°C(86°F)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 11:22:52 AM »
Julie, search the Forum to see photos of Lesley's weldenias... they are FANTASTIC!
edit: having said that I think the pix of her really big plants must have been in the old forum archive which we lost (  :'( >:( :'(  )  but one of her "little" ones is here :
http://www.srgc.org.uk/forum/index.php?topic=1042.msg24208;topicseen#msg24208
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 11:29:38 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 03:59:14 PM »
I understand it is easy peasy with Lesley and Paul, although his crown rotted, and I think their is a danger of being too casual about growing it over here.

I was discussing cultivation with one of the nursery men at Blackpool show (he was selling it) and we both agreed that in our climate total  frost free dryness in winter is a must. I keep mine on a shelf in the garage and only re-pot and water when I see growth above the topdressing. No way will it grow outside and I think this will apply to N. Ireland as well.

Maybe in the drought stricken south it might be okay outside.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Shadylanejewel

• Shadylane Nursery
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 04:25:03 PM »
Julie, search the Forum to see photos of Lesley's weldenias... they are FANTASTIC!

Maggi - I'll remember to do that in the future.   ;D  Even Lesley's small one is Fantastic!

...frost free dryness in winter is a must. I keep mine on a shelf in the garage and only re-pot and water when I see growth above the topdressing. No way will it grow outside and I think this will apply to N. Ireland as well.
Frost free dryness in winter here would also mean keeping it in a pot in the garage (unfortunately my other half isn't as enthused about plants as I am and doesn't like to share his garage).
Julie Lockwood

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 09:33:52 PM »
Tony et al,

The biggest difference I think we have here to you guys in winter is that we warm up well during the day.  Mine is definitely not kept frost free or dry now, after doing both of those the first couple of years, but we never stay below freezing during the day, so things don't get that semi-permanent cold and wet that I know some of you in the UK have to suffer through in winter.  Over the years on this forum we've worked out that I can grow some things here where it actually gets colder during winter than a lot of you in the UK..... because we get warmer during the day in winter as well, and also because we get the summer heat that matures things and makes them more cold tolerant (or something like that).  There have been a few discussions over the years as to how the heck I can grow a particular thing when people in the UK who don't get as low as -8oC can't, etc. etc.

So Tony's proviso is definitely accurate.  That is also why I was emphasising that once you have more than one you can start experimenting, but treat that first one very carefully until you have some to mess with.  ;D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:35:31 PM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

brianw

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 09:49:49 PM »
I see from this http://www.kew.org/plants-fungi/Weldenia-candida.htm root cuttings are an autumn job. I had numerous side shoots last summer, so maybe I will try this later. I am sure in the past I have left odd single pots on the floor of my alpine house over winter, the door of which has no bottom section so they will have been frozen on occasion. I think keeping it dry is more important than frost free for UK temperatures. Which will fit in with those in the winter covered sand beds at Wisley. I tipped the compost off mine yesterday and found the white shoots an inch or so high.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 10:45:11 PM »
Yes Tony, I should apologise for being apparently cavalier about the Weldenia and its culture. I am fortunate in having a climate that is easier to deal with than much or most of the UK and even perhaps, the Rep of Ireland.

My best ever with the Weldenia was when I had moved it into a large polystyrene box because we were shifting house/garden/nursery in the coming months. That season I had, on the best day 112 flowers if I remember rightly and a total of well over 1300 through the season. I gave up counting in the finish. I have to admit I've always thought of it as MY plant as if I had invented it.

A friend who has Blue Mountain Nursery south of Dunedin, and a considerably colder winter climate, had his in a large pot where it did well then put it near the door of a plastic-covered house for winter, out of the main frost, and on its side so water wouldn't drip from the roof onto it. A conscientious staff member thought it had fallen over and set it upright again, and un-noticed it remained that way but was found later, to have rotted with water on it through a number of weeks.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 10:47:20 PM »
Julie, I know it's difficult for you to import plants, as it is for us here but if it could be managed, I'd happily send you a small one. Others that have gone around the world have acclimatized really well to their new out-of-season homes. I did send one early on to Jane McGary, if you happen to know her. Worth an enquiry.

Shadylanejewel

• Shadylane Nursery
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 04:11:06 AM »
Lesley - Thank you very much.  That is a very kind offer and I will check into what I would need to do.

I know who Jane McGary is but I don't know her personally.  I hate to admit it but my son's dog (the malamonster) ate my book "Bulbs of North America" by Jane McGary.   :-[  The worst part is I hadn't even had the opportunity to read it yet.   :(
Julie Lockwood

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 04:29:08 AM »
Lesley - Thank you very much.  That is a very kind offer and I will check into what I would need to do.

I know who Jane McGary is but I don't know her personally.  I hate to admit it but my son's dog (the malamonster) ate my book "Bulbs of North America" by Jane McGary.   :-[  The worst part is I hadn't even had the opportunity to read it yet.   :(

Hi Julie, please note that the "Bulbs of North America" is not written by Jane McGary, she was the editor for the book. This book was a multi-author collaboration, I co-wrote the section on the genus Allium with the late Jim Robinett, this being the largest section of bulbs in the book.  Jim wrote about the California Allium (nearly half the species in North America), and I wrote about the rest of the species in North America.  I had no idea that malamutes were so fond of devouring paper  ;)
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Shadylanejewel

• Shadylane Nursery
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 05:11:37 AM »
Hi Julie, please note that the "Bulbs of North America" is not written by Jane McGary, she was the editor for the book. This book was a multi-author collaboration, I co-wrote the section on the genus Allium with the late Jim Robinett, this being the largest section of bulbs in the book.  Jim wrote about the California Allium (nearly half the species in North America), and I wrote about the rest of the species in North America.  I had no idea that malamutes were so fond of devouring paper  ;)

My sincere apologies Mark. I only remembered I bought the book through Amazon and her name.  Also, when I checked my purchases, Bulbs of North America - Jane McGary; Hardcover was all that showed on the page I was looking at.  Amazon does have the information listed correctly if you go to the actual information about the book.

No idea if all malamutes like paper, but I've learned my lesson and when Bruiser comes to visit, all books/magazines are put away.  It wasn't even out of the envelope it came in.

I will be buying the book again and now I've corresponded a couple of times with one of the famous authors  ;D
Julie Lockwood

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 05:57:58 AM »
Bad dog! The only book of mine eaten by a dog was called "Mao, a Life " by Philip Short. My niece's German Shepherd ate it. Our Teddy when a baby used to chew my socks and knickers but stopped at books. I keep the former as a memorial to him as he left us very early in his little life.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 10:35:21 PM »
here is my Weldenia tuber. Someone must have had a large plant and but it in to single noses
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2012, 11:06:54 PM »
Good, solid roots by the look of it.  Already initiating 2 growths, it should do well by the look of it.  As long as the cut surface is firm with no signs of rot, all looks good.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal