We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: EAST LANCASHIRE AGS SHOW 24th March 2012  (Read 5766 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: EAST LANCASHIRE AGS SHOW 24th March 2012
« Reply #30 on: March 26, 2012, 12:53:25 AM »
Oh yes Cliff, you're right, tho' I had to go back to old slide boxes to check. It WAS East Cheshire and on the way home to Huddersfield we went to Chatsworth. (Or maybe went there while the judging was on and went back later to see the show proper and collect the entries). How terrible that one's (my) memory can let one down so badly and EMBARRASSINGLY :-[

A programme on TV last night was talking about this and about how memory does its own thing, as it were and performs to remember what one WANTS to remember and not necessarily remember what actually happened. Words to that effect anyway.

Thanks for the cake note. Must try something like that.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2012, 09:33:24 AM »
Nothing whatsoever to be embarrassed about Lesley, I am constantly searching my fading brain cells for half-forgotten facts, quarter-remembered names and wholly evaporated inklings. I discover an extensive vacuum, ever-scurrying tumbleweed and an evocation of a desolate and expansive prairie populated quite spasmodically by the most glorious of buttercups!!!   :D

Pass the G&T please!
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2012, 09:48:49 AM »
..........and on the way home to Huddersfield...........

Lesley I know we share an age but didn't know we shared a birthplace, are we related? ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 10:08:39 AM »
Nothing whatsoever to be embarrassed about Lesley, I am constantly searching my fading brain cells for half-forgotten facts, quarter-remembered names and wholly evaporated inklings. I discover an extensive vacuum, ever-scurrying tumbleweed and an evocation of a desolate and expansive prairie populated quite spasmodically by the most glorious of buttercups!!!   :D

Pass the G&T please!
;D ;D ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 10:18:06 AM »
No I don't think so David, delightful though that would be and I'd feel greatly privileged. ;D My friend Margaret and I were staying in Huddersfield for a few days with an AGS member called, at that time, Rita Walker and we helped Rita with her entries, the fetching and carrying, the nearest I've been to taking an active part in an AGS show. Very soon after we came home, Rita and her husband separated and divorced and Rita remarried, becoming Rita something else (a really unusual name that :)) and I've no idea whether she went on growing alpines or not. I hope so. But because we were in Huddersfield for a few days, it was the closest to home we'd had for several weeks.

During that time we also visited Geoff Rollinson in Holmfirth and as well as Androsace alpina in a stone wall, I particularly remember a beautiful Doberman dog - a lady - who was of a nervous disposition with strangers and she hid behind the sofa.

We also met two likely lads (M and I were 38 at the time and fancy free) but they were both overly fixated on something called the Milk Race and so the relationships, such as they were, were never going to flourish. ;D

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2012, 10:22:54 AM »
Huddersfield lad, MILK!!! it doesn't add up ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2012, 10:39:44 AM »

That would be MILK STOUT, David!   :D   Probably imported from Bristol or across the Irish Sea.
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2012, 01:09:15 PM »

We also met two likely lads (M and I were 38 at the time and fancy free) but they were both overly fixated on something called the Milk Race and so the relationships, such as they were, were never going to flourish. ;D

Take a trip down memory lane, Lesley.....
Milk Race 1981

00-00-0000 12º stage    Harrogate - Blackpool 131.3 km      Mark Bell
00-00-0000 11º stage    Richmond - Harrogate 172.8 km      Stein Braathen
00-00-0000 10º stage    Darlington - Newcastle 124.7 km      Jiri Bartolsik
00-00-0000 9º stage    Scarborough - Middlesborough 91.9 km      Dag Erik Pedersen
00-00-0000 8º stage    York - Scarborough 121.3 km      Andrej Vedernikov
00-00-0000 7º stage    Leeds - York 165.5 km      Mark Bell
00-00-0000 6º stage part b    Seacroft - Seacroft 40.2 km      Hans Petter Ødegaard
00-00-0000 6º stage part a    Lincoln - Seacroft 123.7 km      Adam Zagajewski
00-00-0000 5º stage    Nottingham - Skegness 136.3 km      Phil Thomas
00-00-0000 4º stage part b    Sandiacre - Sandiacre 45 km      Håkan Larsson
00-00-0000 4º stage part a    Coventry - Sandiacre 131.1 km      Zbigniew Szczepkowski
00-00-0000 3º stage    Merthyr Tydfill - Coventry 117.4 km      Phil Thomas
00-00-0000 2º stage    Bournemouth - Weston s/Mare 176.4 km      Morten Sæther
00-00-0000 1º stage    Brighton - Bournemouth 158.5 km      Steve Joughin
00-00-0000 Prologue    3.2 km      Hans Petter Ødegaard
General Classification          Sergei Krivotschew

http://www.cyclingarchives.com/voorloopfiche.php?wedstrijdvoorloopid=1264         ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2012, 01:51:04 PM »
Lesley - I think all that memory needs is to be tickled; after all it's our own not someone else's! After you have managed to assimilate the AGS Encyclopaedia there's not too much room for anything else, which is why no-one knows the name of a plant when you ask them!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

JohnnyD

• Maxi-minigardenist
  • free at last!
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2012, 09:19:19 PM »
Lori, the tufa tends to stay in place by simply packing it firmly onto and into the compost.
Mind you, I reckon Peter Hoods creation must be held together with rubber bands! See below.  :P
It is simply superb.
JohnnyD
John Dower, Frodsham, Cheshire.

JohnnyD

• Maxi-minigardenist
  • free at last!
« Reply #40 on: March 26, 2012, 09:20:58 PM »
Oops - that is not Peters.
This is!!!!!!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2012, 10:01:19 PM »

Yes, as Maggi has pointed out - so graphically - it was a bike race, sponsored, I suppose by a milk company.

My golly Maggi, there are some good names there. I guess I'll have to practice pronunciation on these if I'm to survive in the Czech Republic. The Poles have wonderful names don't they? Some of their conductors and other musicians are real mouthsful and challenging for the mono-lingual NZer.

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2012, 05:29:35 AM »
Lori, the tufa tends to stay in place by simply packing it firmly onto and into the compost.
Mind you, I reckon Peter Hoods creation must be held together with rubber bands! See below.  :P
It is simply superb.
JohnnyD
Yikes, seems solid enough for something stationary, but potentially precarious to move around!  Thanks for the details, Johnny.
Yes, all the photos shown are amazing, especially the tufa gardens, and especially Peter Hood's in particular!  Thanks for posting them!
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

peter hood

• Was it better without the picture?!
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2012, 12:02:28 PM »
No rubber bands, John, though there is a cocktail stick or two in there somewhere!Last week after the trip to Blackpool and back, the lump at the top right, with Androsace villosa growing out of it, was only attached by the plant roots - but a little engineering work in the week meant it was perfectly stable at Rochdale, and still stable when I got back home!

Thanks for your appreciation Lori, but I should point out that the judges still prefer John Dower's garden. The schedule looks for established planting.
Peter Hood, from North East England

JohnnyD

• Maxi-minigardenist
  • free at last!
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2012, 05:09:04 PM »
Cocktail sticks eh? I need to make a note of that! ;)
J.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal