We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Ulster AGS show at Greenmount  (Read 2569 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Ulster AGS show at Greenmount
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 11:48:23 PM »

Hmmmm..... Doesn't look like ludlowii to me.  Should have roundish flowers.  Jens?  Also leaves don't match; more leaves in the picture than a ludlowii would have in a lifetime.
johnw

To me the yellow is too acidic for R. ludlowii. The bells too acutely shaped and the stamens ought not to be exserted, should they? Straight style, longer than the stamens but shorter than the bell ?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2012, 04:49:40 AM »
It looks like (but better thnn) my 'Shamrock.'

Wonderful plant of Veronica bombycina. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2012, 08:10:45 AM »
O/K everyone I will ask the Master himself perhaps I got it wrong, Ian
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 08:26:19 AM »

Hmmmm..... Doesn't look like ludlowii to me.  Should have roundish flowers.  Jens?  Also leaves don't match; more leaves in the picture than a ludlowii would have in a lifetime.
johnw

To me the yellow is too acidic for R. ludlowii. The bells too acutely shaped and the stamens ought not to be exserted, should they? Straight style, longer than the stamens but shorter than the bell ?

Yes, sadly, it certainly seems far too well flowered for ludlowii, it definitely looks more like a hybrid.  
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 08:28:46 AM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 10:08:43 AM »
Good to see Bob and Harold are both looking well. I haven't seen them for a while though I have been in touch.

I love Ian's photographs of the trilliums in Bob's garden as I have a clump of them growing here in mine - a kind gift, as is always the case, from Bob.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

angie

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 10:17:22 AM »
Mark brilliant pictures, thanks for showing them to us. Looks as if it was a really good show. Some lovely plants there.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2012, 03:54:53 PM »
There was a shortage of plants at the show. I had plants but didnt enter anything. When Edrom or Kevock get an invite to sell I'll start to show again. There is a demand for new nurseries but the show committee are resisting .. grrrr
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2012, 04:22:34 PM »
Dear all  here is the message from Harold and yes we did ask questions about the name when judging. Mark, I have been informed that other nurseries have been asked but when you look at the costs it is now very expensive from Scotland with Ferry B and B then fuel my cost were around £500 not that I am complaining as I wanted to visit the friends we have known for over 25 years, cheers Ian the Christie kind

Ian
 The Rhodo was purchased from a small nursery in Suffolk   ( " The secret garden ")  as a tiny plant in a 4" pot   (2005) as X  Ludowii .   I have since seen   R. Shamrock in gardens & it looks identical ..   I exhibited it under X. Ludlowii as I was not sure if indeed it had been named  or was the same plant .  I once won a Farrer with Ludlowii   ( 1983 ) & on request I gave it to Glendoick to use for hybridization work as they had lost their stock plants .  I would say it is certainly a Ludlowii Hyb  & is of course a lot easier to flower  & indeed grow than the parent plant .   
 I did not expect  to win a Farrer with a Rhodo Hyb , but in the past I won a FM with R. X " Curlew" - which is of course  also a R. Ludlowii hyb    ( R. Ludowii X Fletcherianum ), but a much larger plant when mature .

Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2012, 04:37:45 PM »
Thanks Ian. When I spoke to Edrom at Loughborough they were really keen to come to the Ulster or Dublin shows. Maybe our group should consider helping nurseries attend
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 10:30:21 PM by mark smyth »

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2012, 07:00:27 PM »
Mark - it is interesting you should say that about nurseries, because costs are relatively high even travelling around the UK. Generally I think the Shows try to cover the costs of hiring the venue from the charges made to nurseries, but you could argue that the nurseries are as strong a draw as the Show plants themselves for visitors, and some reduction in charges might encourage more nurseries to attend. This would only work if improved advertising for the Shows could stimulate greater attendance (otherwise there would be no more income), something I have been strongly arguing for because I feel not enough gardeners outside the AGS get to hear about the Shows. Limited reaction so far from anyone, and Ulster is obviously in a more difficult position than most being 'across the water'. Would be very interesting to know more of the attendance at different Shows, and how many visitors attend. It is difficult to attract more gardeners but I think a very worthwhile aim. The fact that really good nurseries are few and far between in Ireland (overall), should be a particularly good reason to make the Ulster Show even more special and enticing than it already is!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2012, 10:37:19 PM »
Tim when Aberconwy first came over their stand was mobbed and they went home with with practically nothing. They now come over three times a year for our show, the Dublin show and the discussion weekend.

Onion

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2012, 03:47:49 AM »
I think it look like Rh. ludlowii 'Wren'. But in this size an with the "yellow flower carpet" always a winner.
Uli Würth, Northwest of Germany Zone 7 b - 8a
Bulbs are my love (Onions) and shrubs and trees are my job

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal