We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: April 2012 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 4724 times)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
April 2012 in the Southern Hemisphere
« on: April 01, 2012, 11:27:16 PM »
Howdy All,

Thought I'd start us a place for the southern hemisphere to post some photos for the month.  I promise I will get back to photo posting soon..... hopefully later today.  8)

At the moment there are abunch of different Crocus coming into flower.... tournefortii, nudiflorus, longiflorus, laevigatus (very early), banaticus, gilanicus and more.  There's still some Colchicum about, the first of the Galanthus reginae olgae are already open (also very early this year), Salvias, Dahlias, Roses, Aster nova-belgii of assorted colours, some Clematis species, first of the tazetta daffs, Abutilon and more.  Not a solid mass of colour, but lots of bits and pieces here and there. 

Very confused weather has made very confused plants.  Some pics of the better sights will follow soon, providing my tooth extraction in an hour goes OK.... otherwise it might be tomorrow rather than this afternoon.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: April 2012 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 12:01:12 AM »
Good luck at the Dentist! :-*
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 12:07:14 AM »
Maggi,

Thank you, but I hope I don't need good luck.  :o  Top right, furthest back, biggest molar I think?  Growing at 45o angle and with 3 large roots.  If it doesn't come out easily, this afternoon is NOT going to be good.  ::)  Even if it does come out easily it still probably isn't going to be terribly comfortable.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 12:14:50 AM »
puts me in mind of my dentist's comments when I was getting a root canal treatment:
... knowing I  was somewhat anxious, he asked if I was okay.
..'not too bad' I replied, 'but I don't suppose this will be the most fun I've had with my clothes on'.
..'well', says he, with a glance at the nurse, 'we can all take our clothes off... but it still won't be fun'

Process was held up for five minutes till the nurse regained her composure.... ;D

We all survived in the end.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 12:23:46 AM »
 ;D ;D  I think that would have broken the ice nicely!  ;)

And here are a couple of quick pics, taken after work so the light wasn't brilliant.

Moraea polystachya, and Dahlia coccineus with bee friend trying to get in a last collection before dark.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 12:26:07 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lina Hesseling

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 09:12:19 AM »
Maggi, you made me laugh loudly on Monday morning again!

I can see the picture in front of me. Glad I don't have to go to the dentist soon, because I would be grinning all the time.

Lina.
Lina Hesseling, Winschoten, The Netherlands.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 09:29:04 AM »
.... and very nice too Paul.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 09:49:14 AM »
Dentist survived!  Not actually hurting that badly thankfully, although I think it is usually worse the second day.  ::)  The tooth removal was actually quite easy, with none of the complications that were possible due to the position and condition of the tooth.  The actual removal didn't even take 5 minutes.  The injection of the anaesthetic hurt a lot more than the tooth removal, although that grating feeling as the roots pull out is atrocious.  :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 04:24:19 AM »
Too much information Paul. ???

This little Heuchera hallii is very cute, just 8cms high in flower. Bad photo though.

Calochortus barbatus has a weak stem and flops all about. But the flower's nice.

I should have taken Crocus vallicola a couple of days ago when there were 6 flowers all at once. I had some seed in the early summer, so hopefully more this time around.

The seedhead of Arisaema flavum ssp. abbreviatum started to fall to bits when I moved it so I'll need to collect the segments quickly.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 04:26:31 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 04:35:35 AM »
Some autumn reds now but the sun is in such a position that it has made the fiery colours look pink. The Polygonum and the Cornus are rich crimson rather than the pinky shade.

Zantedeschia 'Majestic Red'

Polygonum affine 'Donald Lowndes,' one of my favourite autumn plants.

Two for Cohan in Canada, Cornus sericea. I can't wait to get some of these planted in my new long border.

And for Brian, Eucomis 'Tiny Pink Rubies,' now fully out. As you know, I sniff everything new to me and these smell of rubber gumboots!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 05:44:35 AM »
Lesley,

Great pics.  That Eucomis is really something!  The colour on the Cornus sericea looks brilliant!!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 09:55:38 AM »
And for Brian, Eucomis 'Tiny Pink Rubies,' now fully out. As you know, I sniff everything new to me and these smell of rubber gumboots!

Lovely Lesley, much better when not etiolated ;)  We were taking Herbarium Specimens from the National Collection of Muscari on Thursday last week  and one of the things to note was the scent, I'm afraid all I could discern from one specimen was the scent of Pledge furniture polish!
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 12:33:37 AM »
Some pics taken this week,
a little colchicum which came from a Seedex as C. pusillum which I'm told it isn't - it's about the height of C. corsicum with narrow petals like C.lingulatum. In the pic it's coming up through a mat of Teucrium subspinosum, so it is quite small.
344099-0

Already posted elsewhere but worth repeating, I think, Narcissus serotinus, a kind gift from Otto a few years ago and happy potted (the daff, not Otto!  ;D)!
344101-1

Another view of the clump of Narcissus viridiflorus in the garden
344103-2

And another look at the wonderful Brunsvigia gregaria
344105-3

cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 12:36:14 AM by fermides »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 08:46:19 AM »
I take it getting bulbs into Oz doesn't involve them being sautéd first!? ::)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 10:26:34 AM »
Leslie, what a lovely little Heuchera - does it usually flower this late? And Fermi, great to see daffodils in both hemispheres!
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal