We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: May 2012 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 37654 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: May 2012 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #120 on: May 12, 2012, 11:06:55 PM »
Oh yes, I remember now, I DID do something on Friday, abandoned IE as a browser and went for Google Chrome, which is working 3 times as fast as IE. I did it because I kept getting a little window saying something about at error at line 0. Can't even remember that properly now ???

I just Googled Sanicula arctopoides and it does exist. I think I must have seen it in an old AGS bulletin or somewhere and I think I included it on a long forgotten "wants" list but it never came my way. It goes to prove though, what I sometimes tell people at the market, people I know well by sight but don't know who they are. "If you were a plant I'd know your name." ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

brianw

« Reply #121 on: May 12, 2012, 11:10:20 PM »
Do you know where Gingerbread Boy came from? I have a very similar one I know as Gingerbread and the Plant Finder has G. Man and G. Castle. Mine seems to be similar to G. Man from online photos. Is there a register of Iris of this type?
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #122 on: May 13, 2012, 12:09:42 AM »
Maybe the best option would be to google American Iris Society and look at images of dwarfs. Or catalogues. My 'Gingerbread Man' is probably the same as yours Brian, rather less rich in colour, the falls a little closer to mustard (JUST a little). Maybe someone raised a seedling from GM and named it GB. But bearded irises must be registered for the names to be accepted and recognized.

The little 'Dot Com' is another lovely form but another Dot Com is less popular in NZ at present, An American (I think) of German birth, some time ago changed his name by deed poll, to Dot Com (as a surname) and is currently being hassled by the USA govt - or NZ is - to be extradicted to the USA on charges of computer pirating on a massive scale. He is hugely rich as a result. Also is involved in so-called anonymous donations of large amounts to a right wing politician who has failed to declare their source though everyone knows darned well he knew it. You don't accept $50,000 from someone who happens to need certain favours, and not know who that person is. Get real.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 12:17:40 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #123 on: May 13, 2012, 07:06:48 AM »
The little 'Dot Com' is another lovely form but another Dot Com is less popular in NZ at present, An American (I think) of German birth, some time ago changed his name by deed poll, to Dot Com (as a surname) and is currently being hassled by the USA govt - or NZ is - to be extradicted to the USA on charges of computer pirating on a massive scale. He is hugely rich as a result. Also is involved in so-called anonymous donations of large amounts to a right wing politician who has failed to declare their source though everyone knows darned well he knew it. You don't accept $50,000 from someone who happens to need certain favours, and not know who that person is. Get real.

Hadn't heard about that...interesting....no such "dot commers" in my garden  ;)
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #124 on: May 13, 2012, 10:12:57 AM »
Sanicula arctopoides is an American species, I think.

As usual, we have dear Fred to thank for the addition of the spell  check....... :-* :-*
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #125 on: May 13, 2012, 10:18:29 AM »
Do you know where Gingerbread Boy came from? I have a very similar one I know as Gingerbread and the Plant Finder has G. Man and G. Castle. Mine seems to be similar to G. Man from online photos. Is there a register of Iris of this type?

Sorry it's my fault, for some reason I have a mental block on the name of this Iris and have re-christened it in my head 'Gingerbread Boy' - I think because my class used to love the story of the Gingerbread boy.  I shall have to label it and then it mights stick in my head, I told David it was 'Gingerbread Boy' and it is in fact 'Gingerbread Man'.  Mea Culpa.  Ours came from Four Seasons Nursery when they were closing down and we were invited to go round and dig any iris up that we would like along with the rest of our Norfolk & Suffolk Hardy Plant Group.  Consequently our gardens our littered with Iris (what a hardship), this does remain my particular favourite (although I say that of all of them when they are in flower).
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #126 on: May 13, 2012, 10:37:27 AM »
Well, YT, now you have started a rush to get that plant! And I'm in that queue ;)
Do you know whether it is easy from seed? Or obtainable from somewhere?

Yes, its very easy from seeds. Look the attached pic, there are many seedlings under a mother plants now :)

interesting to see the blue Sanicula lamelligera var. wakayamensis, there is S caerulescens which is just as blue and easily avaliable and self seeds in a woodland condition. C europeans has creamy flowers and acts the same way.

It would be nice to see the japanese sp freely available

thanks for showing Tatsuo

I didn't know another blue sanicule, Chinese native S. caerulescens :o Looks very similer to Japanese one. Thank you for the information, Stephen :)

Yeah, put me in that queue also  ;) ;)  ;D

;D ;D ;)

Some eyecatchers in the garden at the moment :
8 ) Meconopsis "Huntfield"

Luk, a beautifu blue poppy :D It is one of my dreams to grow blue poppies at my place...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 10:39:49 AM by YT »
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

fredg

• Carnivorous Plants & Friends
« Reply #127 on: May 13, 2012, 11:22:43 AM »
It's tiime for the Sarracenia to begin flowering.
At least this Sarracenia flava ( Copper Top) doesn't have the usual S. flava 'Tom Cat' trait. ::) :-X
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
Mansfield Notts. UK Zone 8b

http://fredg.boards.net/

David King

• The Norfolk Eye
    • David King
« Reply #128 on: May 13, 2012, 12:20:15 PM »
This is Sarracenia 'Brooks Hybrid' at Cambridge Botanic Gardens last week.

Brooke, Norwich, Norfolk.

Web site:  http://www.zen62218.zen.co.uk

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #129 on: May 13, 2012, 04:38:01 PM »
Hello all, this is probably the wrong place to post this topic but I had a visit today from the Rhododendron society they come to see our garden as we have different plant then I took them to Ascreavie the once owned garden by Major Sherriff it was a wild windy cold day but nobody noticed that it was super to see the structure of the big old Rhodos and others so I post a few pictures, cheers Ian the Christie kind
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2012, 04:42:35 PM »
Weather pretty horrible here, too, Ian.  So  said most of the callers to the radio programme today, from all over the country.  :'(

Super to get this glimpse of Ascreavie's old plants - plants with an impeccable provenance! 8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Michael J Campbell

• Forum's " Mr Amazing"
    • lewisias.
« Reply #131 on: May 13, 2012, 06:17:18 PM »
Androsace pubescens
Pulsatilla vulgaris
Geista pilosa var. minor
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 10:17:09 PM by Michael J Campbell »

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #132 on: May 13, 2012, 07:13:43 PM »
Hello all!
That's interesting Pulsatillas bloom at the same time here and in Europe.  :)

Pulsatilla vulgaris Perlen Glocke

Epimedium leptorrhizum

Pulsatilla flavescens & Lewisia tweedyi

Pulsatilla campanella

Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #133 on: May 13, 2012, 07:28:09 PM »
My Pusatillas are over and done with. Some very interesting ones there Olga, and , as usual, your pictures are beautiful.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #134 on: May 13, 2012, 07:50:36 PM »
Exquisite photos, Olga, as always! 
Is that really a different colour and form of Pulsatilla campanella, or might it be something more along the lines of, maybe, P. albana (if I'm thinking of the right one)?
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal