We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Huge lilium 'casa blanca' bulb  (Read 841 times)

pontus

Huge lilium 'casa blanca' bulb
« on: May 02, 2012, 07:17:18 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I would not resist posting a picture of this humongous lilium casa blanca bulb which i transplanted a few weeks ago.

when i got it it was the usual garden centre size, 14/16, or perhaps a bit more...after 3 years of liquid feeding with organic liquid seaweed and tomato feed, in a rich ericaceous compost, it has now reached a huge size, i would expect at least 20-25 flowers per stem from these bulbs. this is what they often refer to as "exhibition size" in the USA... these have all produced a good crop of underground stem bulbs which, for the most part flowered last year already!

in summer, my casa blancas are often visited at night by sphinx moths...a very interesting sight!

Pontus

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: Huge lilium 'casa blanca' bulb
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 11:08:23 PM »
That's big all right. Have you a picture of the flower? I ask because at last year's spring Hort Soc show, mostly daffodils and also our alpine group's show, there was a table with Lilium seed of assorted crosses. No species alas. Anyway, being addicted to seed I had to try some and bought 8 packets for $10. Literally evey seed has germinated in the last two months. One packet was Ex 'Casa Blanca.' Won't necessarily come true of course, but an idea would be nice. :)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

pontus

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 11:27:58 PM »
yes, i do have a picture of this bulb in flower in its large clay pot which i can post tomorrow. it is on another computer, so i just have to transfer it from there first..casa blanca is a large white oriental lily with outward facing or sideways facing flowers. a bit like an auratum lily but pure white, really stunning in flower.

pontus

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 02:34:18 PM »
hello leslie,

here is a link to a picture of casa blanca on my website :

http://pontuswallstenplants.smugmug.com/Flowers/autumn-2010-plant-catalogue/12188653_LcvHNF#!i=1139465904&k=ZdnuQ

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 06:27:23 AM »
Thankyou for the link Pontus. If my seedlings are anything even a little bit like 'Casa Blanca' I will be thrilled with them. You have some magnificent lilies there, especially L. grayii but they are all lovely. I'll have a better look at the whole website before I go to bed tonight. :D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal