We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Arisaema 2012  (Read 7681 times)

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
Re: Arisaema 2012
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 09:30:02 PM »
A. speciosum

Well, it really should be, but from what I can gather the spadix-appendage is white in A.speciosum. On this plant it is clearly dark red, ( as it is on many web pictures of 'A. speciosum' ). Is this a ssp. or a wrongly named plant?
Ron Edrom are selling a red spadix-appendage as Arisaema speciosum Magnificum http://www.edrom-nurseries.co.uk/shop/pc/Arisaema-speciosum-Magnificum-p8556.htm
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Hoy

• Rogaland, Norway - We used to have mild winters!
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 09:44:59 PM »
Hoy, to me the middle picture looks more like Arisaema wilsonii. Both others are certainly A. elephas though.

Thanks! Think you are right ;D
Trond Hoy, gardening on the rainy west coast of Norway.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2012, 10:29:04 PM »
Hoy, to me the middle picture looks more like Arisaema wilsonii. Both others are certainly A. elephas though.

David, why do you not  also give a link to http://www.aroidpictures.fr/pictures.html in your signature ?  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ronm

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2012, 04:03:56 PM »
Thanks for that lead Davey. :)
Guess I need to do a little more digging. I'm thinking these commercial plants are hybrids. :( :(

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2012, 04:08:15 PM »
Thanks for that lead Davey. :)
Guess I need to do a little more digging. I'm thinking these commercial plants are hybrids. :( :( 

I think this is unlikely as there are very few hybrids of Arisaema in cultivation.  It's more likely to be part of the wide variation of a species.  What's happened to Pascal, he hasn't been here recently?? he's very knowledgeable on Arisaema.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 04:09:51 PM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

ronm

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2012, 04:11:28 PM »
Thanks Diane, I just wish I could find any reputable record of there ever being a red one found and described as such. No luck yet. But I am persistent,  ;D ;D
G and L Gusman record no such thing in A.speciosum in their Monograph, having apparently seen thousands in the wild. I know Forum members have also seen these in the wild and I hope they can confirm the red spadix appendage.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 04:27:32 PM by ronm »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2012, 06:14:36 PM »
Pascal decided to leave the forum.

I believe, from what he has told me that he disagrees with much in the Gusman's book.

David Scherberich is another forumist with an extensive knowledge of the aroids- I commend his websites to you.  He has photos of a red A. speciosum http://www.aroidpictures.fr/SIKKIM2003/arispeciosum977.html
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 06:26:08 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

dscherberich

• Pictures of the Araceae family
« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2012, 09:27:31 PM »
Thank you Maggi for the advertising ;-)

I must say that the majority of A. speciosum I have seen had a spadix with a red appendage. I don't think that the color is very important, there is usually a lot of variation in Arisaema inflorescences, especially in the color of the spathe and/or the spadix.

A. speciosum var. mirabile is distinct though, having a distinctly spongy/rugose spadix appendix and from my observations growing at higher elevations than the typical variety.

ronm

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2012, 11:23:05 AM »
Thanks everybody for your help and leads. It is clear to me now that A. speciosum can have a red spadix-appendage.  ;D

fredg

• Carnivorous Plants & Friends
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2012, 12:53:50 PM »
This Arisaema candidissimum has been in flower for about a week.
Other pots of the same clone are just appearing.
Fred
Quot Homines Tot Sententiae
Mansfield Notts. UK Zone 8b

http://fredg.boards.net/

dscherberich

• Pictures of the Araceae family
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2012, 01:10:58 PM »
Very nice A. candidissimum clone, Fred!

ronm

« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2012, 02:53:14 PM »
A.costatum

A beetles eye view. I love the way the light shines through the 'windows' at the back of the spathe tube / limb. ;D 8)

ronm

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2012, 01:07:23 PM »
A. tortuosum

It's the almost 'reptilian' pattern on the stem that I really like on this species, 8). That and the outrageous spadix appendage, ;D .

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2012, 09:15:03 PM »
Its a stunner Ron!
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

ronm

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2012, 02:23:35 PM »
Its a stunner Ron!

I think I've been lucky with the ones I have Davey. All of them have the most beautifully marked pseudostems ( or is it just the cataphylls that are patterned? ), which I understand is not always the case. Unfortunately I dont have any with the purple spadix appendages, all of mine are green. Something to look out for.

[i]A. dracontium[/i], Pinellia pedatisecta

Closely related to A. tortuosum, is this species from North America. The ' Asian Green Dragon'. Apparently one of the most often grown Arisaema,( or so I am always being told ), here in UK. It is easy, and reproduces fast, perhaps considered a weed. Maybe a little plain? It would appear that 'true' A.dracontium is not easily obtained in Europe. All who think they grow A.dracontium in UK may want to double check their plants. ;D. Thank you for correcting my mistake,  8) 8)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 06:59:22 PM by ronm »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal