We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pudsey Pig or should it be the Pontefract Porker  (Read 6414 times)

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
Pudsey Pig or should it be the Pontefract Porker
« on: June 09, 2012, 03:02:01 PM »
Well Brian and I don't mind suffering for the good of everyone else and yesterday we along with Clare and John Dower and Mandy McLoughlin went of to recce the venue for the Summer North AGS show next Saturday and also the PUB.

I'm afraid it's a drive although some of us might need the walk back afterwards to recover the vestiges of a waist band.

A very good menu and they are laying on a room just for us, so bring your pennies, stop eating now and prepare yourselves in true Yorkshire fashion for a' blow out.' ::)

Sorry Ferme won't be with us to defend his title but at least if gives someone else a chance. ;D  Looking forward to seeing you there.
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
Re: Pudsey Pig or should it be the Pontefract Porker
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2012, 03:56:25 PM »
Thanks for that Shelagh.
Some of us have taken preparations very seriously indeed and have been at a secret training camp in Turkey, alternating our days between beach runs, hill climbs, river jaunts and pool sessions and our evenings testing three or four course meals (at various establishments with mysterious names) brought to the table by swarthy (but incredibly friendly) characters.
Our liquid intake has been admirable and our specially tailored sweatsuits proved unnecessary in the constant thirty degree heat.
We have been doing regular exercise (usually in the form of knee-drops or belly flops) with the Nikon apparatus and associated aromatherapy in the middle of oleander or eucalyptus groves.
All in all, we should be at our peak for the Pudsey pursuit but we suspect dark forces may have been at work - everyone on the plane home coughed simultaneously for over four hours and we believe this to be an attempt to strike us down with 'competitor's croup' - a mean and dastardly method of 'nobbling' the favourites.  We know who you are and we know how you smuggled the germs on board - we will not be beaten by such unscrupulous tactics and intend to be there on Saturday with empty, but well-tuned tums!!!
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2012, 05:03:00 PM »
As you know, I am full of admiration for the dedication shown by all my gardening chums in their pursuit of horticultural excellence. I think we should all pause for a moment to acknowledge the level of expertise and effort expended (should that be expanded ?!)  on the preparation for the ancillary projects so beloved by so many Forumists.

Avanti, Piglets!

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2012, 06:29:03 PM »
And I'm pleased to announce that a mystery package arrived today in the post, all the way from Victoria, Australia, containing this year's Pudsey Pig prize, kindly donated by last year's winner, Fermi, who can't make the journey this year  ;D  ;D
The contents of the package will remain a mystery until the day, as always.  ;D
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 07:52:20 PM »
Oooh that sounds very exciting......
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 08:02:26 PM »
The Pontefract Porker will be contested by the Pudsey Piglets,  the hungriest souls attending the AGS Summer Show, North, on  June 16 from 12 noon to 4.00 pm. The show will be held at the Chesneys Centre, Regent Street, Featherstone, Pontefract, WF7 5EW. 

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 09:51:25 AM »
I'm glad you put the information re Saturday in the correct order Maggi, wouldn't like anyone to think the show was important :o ::) ;D
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 09:12:13 AM »
And I'm pleased to announce that a mystery package arrived today in the post, all the way from Victoria, Australia, containing this year's Pudsey Pig prize, kindly donated by last year's winner, Fermi, who can't make the journey this year  ;D  ;D
The contents of the package will remain a mystery until the day, as always.  ;D
Yes, alas, the work/holiday schedule doesn't allow our return to the UK to defend the title!
Diane warned that the date was approaching and so we turned the house upside-down [well it looks like it was!] to try to find the prize which Will and I bought in KL on the way home to OZ last year. We suspect that one of the cats had taken a fancy to it and has hidden it somewhere out of our reach! Fortunately I was able to find a reasonable replacement locally and was able to whisk it off to Diane so that it arrived in time! I'm amazed how quickly those posties can run when the Pudsey is at stake!
Best wishes to all this year's contestants and remember that in an Olympic Year more will be expected!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2012, 09:32:35 AM »
What a shame you won't be here Fermi ... you've probably been in training for a number of months and were just at your peak?  Perhaps you can come over and regain your title next year?  All best wishes from the Piglets and thanks for thinking about us.
Cliff Booker

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2012, 11:41:00 AM »
Why is it these Pontefract Porkers and Pudsey Piglets congregate so much around the Summer Show North? Are there more truffles around in these regions? Or do you just have better pubs?
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 12:10:17 PM »
It's historical Tim ... the story has been told a number of times and dear Maggi may (very kindly) be able to find previous postings?
Cliff Booker

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2012, 01:42:29 PM »
I think the whole story wasonly told once... and that was in the original forum, the archive of which is sadly lost :'(

You'll need to re-tell the tale, Cliff... there will be lots of new readers who wonder what on earth you piglets get up too!

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2012, 05:06:53 PM »
You'll need to re-tell the tale, Cliff... there will be lots of new readers who wonder what on earth you piglets get up too! 

I'll start it off, although I hope others will add to the tale.

The Pudsey saga began many years ago.  The AGS Summer North Show was in those days held in Pudsey and friends met for lunch at a local hostelry, renowned for its gourmet food and large plate size.  Brian Smethurst ordered a Mixed Grill and when it arrived it was bigger than him, and he was challenged to eat the lot. 

Amazingly he did, and was named The First Ever Pudsey Pig.  Every year from then until the present, a food loving group has met for lunch, usually at the occasion of the Summer North Show, but as necessary, when this show has not been held, it has taken place at Southport and East Cheshire.  A training event has often taken place at Harrogate Flower Show a few weeks before, where leading contenders have been spotted tucking in to a buffet table groaning with food.

There is a rumour that the winner of the Pudsey Pig is appointed on account of how much food they eat, and indeed first and second place has been hotly contested in the past with a large portion of sticky toffee pudding.  However, the rules have never been written down, and in fact there is only one rule, which is passed down by word of mouth each year, usually by Johnny D who proclaims the rule on the day “There are no rules”.  Some participants take it very seriously and go for a warm up exercise a couple of weeks before, thereby getting a preview of the menu, and are thus able to plan their tactics on the day.  This sneaky exercise is called a "reccy" and is disguised as a ploy to check out the seating arrangements.   

Past winners have sometimes fled the country to escape the paparazzi (well Cliff can be a scary site as recent visitors to Facebook have observed), and now some of these previous winners reside in New Zealand, Australia and Kentucky.  The winner is expected to present the prize the following year, except in exceptional circumstances, such as living 12,000 miles away.

Here's some of the fun, captured over the last few years:
Harrogate 2008
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=1705.15
Southport 2008
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=1797.0
Pudsey 2009
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=3716.15
Harrogate 2010
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=5358.0
East Cheshire 2011
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=7198.0

« Last Edit: June 13, 2012, 05:47:08 PM by Diane Clement »
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2012, 06:29:04 PM »
Very many thanks Diane! I have to say that a few of the plants pictured could well have been eligible for the prize too. Some stunning specimens (the Cypripedium pictured by Cliff is very beautiful). I have been known to force down sticky toffee pudding, but I expect we would have to come up with a more refined event down here in the south.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2012, 06:53:32 PM »
Here is a cake that Cindy made for our daughter's first wedding anniversary 20 years ago.  It would seem to be apt for a Pudsey pig-in !
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal