We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pudsey Pig or should it be the Pontefract Porker  (Read 6482 times)

Doreen Mear

Re: Pudsey Pig or should it be the Pontefract Porker
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2012, 11:47:40 PM »
in fact there is only one rule, which is passed down by word of mouth each year, usually by Johnny D who proclaims the rule on the day “There are no rules”. 

Seem to remember from my piglet days, you didn't stand a chance of winning if you hadn't totally cleared your plate, so this involved an element of gamesmanship. For example, you didn't order fish and chips that came with a slice of lemon or you'd need to eat the lemon, rind and pips and all. Think it was Brian who had the judges in a huddle, when one or more of his peas "escaped" and landed on the floor - did he have to eat it to be declared the winner? Was the pea helped on its way, and would this set a precedent if the judges allowed it?

A hint to would-be competitors - elasticated waistbands are of great help!

Middle of South Island, New Zealand

Mick McLoughlin

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2012, 04:13:23 PM »
There is also no 'dodging' of the morning bacon buttie allowed, as Mandy has already ordered the bacon. She will be on duty at Chesney's all day but has given me a 'pass out' to attend at lunchtime.

Don't forget there is a show on as well so bring your plants.
Hemsworth, West Yorkshire

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2012, 04:18:51 PM »
Many thanks to Diane and Doreen for their descriptions and updates.  The Pudsey Pig (for that is it's name and no geographical amendments should be permitted) has a long and proud history.
To rules we say; "Bah!"   To convention we shout; "Bunkum!"   To indigestion tablets we scream; "Yes please!"

Let the battle begin ... preceded, of course, by a parade of past champions - either in body or in spirit - many having retired to their salad days in far flung lands of wafer biscuits and temperance bars.

Pontefract is famous for it's cakes - it's about to gain it's puddings!!!   ;D

A late amendment to the 'rules' from the locals (bacon butty supplements for all participants) has certainly raised the stakes - as I said, there are no rules, only updates.   ;D
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 05:25:20 PM »
The Bacon butty development is an interesting addition to the day.  In the heady days of Pudsey Civic Hall, the catering arrangements didn't allow for bacon butties, so the exhibitors breakfast was, uniquely I think, "hot rolls"  8)

Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 04:16:25 PM »
Tom I think one of those cakes would do admirably any chance of your wife doing one for tomorrow or shall I book you both in for next year ;D
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

TC

• Roving Reporter
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2012, 12:02:01 PM »
Shelagh, a bit late for today and we don't even think of a year ahead now!

However, I am reliably informed that the cake was basically a chocolate cake, hollowed out and filled with a white chocolate mousse, covered in ganache .  The porkers were two walnut whips covered in marzipan. I don't get things like this nowadays unless family and grandchildren come on a visit.

Looking back over 25 years, pig motifs seemed to figure large with our daughter.  I can remember Cindy knitting a black woolen sweater for our daughter with a large,pink flying pig on the front.  It was much admired in University circles and probably is still kicking around in daughter's wardrobe somewhere.
Tom Cameron
Ayr, West of Scotland

ronm

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2012, 08:59:21 PM »
Went the day well ?

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2012, 09:12:56 PM »
Unless others reply before then, I will add images and results after the football has finished.
Cliff Booker

Martinr

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2012, 09:48:13 PM »
Yes......but will modesty forbid :o :o :o

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012, 09:49:51 PM »
Yes......but will modesty forbid :o :o :o
Dear me, I hope not... we frown on modesty here, don't we?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2012, 10:19:28 PM »
No modesty here folks ... just genuine delight.  Mr Dower and the other unidentified Pudsey Pig judges came up trumps and announced an unprecedented joint-win in the lunchtime competition at Pontefract AGS Show today.
The Bookeroos (Susan Greatly Chuffed Booker and Clifford Almightily Pleased Booker) held the trophy aloft to tumultuous applause from the massed ranks of Piglets.  No jeers, catcalls or boos were heard and the decision stood.

At the main event, the excellent AGS Show at The Chesneys Centre, Featherstone, Pontefract run by Eric Rainford and his superb team, 'Best in Show' (but not unfortunately a Farrer Medal) went to Barry Winter with his splendid Verbascum.

Many more pictures and insights into the show and the Pudsey Pig will follow in the morning.

Mr and Mrs Joyous Booker and their trophy.
Chief Judge - JohnnyD. aka John Dower
Barry Winter and his 'Best in Show' winning Verbascum.
Cliff Booker

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2012, 10:47:13 PM »
Heartiest congratulations to Sue and Cliff on this dual triumph! Their recent training in Turkey is surely the secret of this success. 'Tis a lot of trouble to go to, but it pays off.... speculate to accumulate, and all that!

Super Verbascum, a shame for it not to get a Farrer. I hope Barry Winter is pleased with it, none the less.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2012, 07:18:49 AM »
Some images of the Pudsey Piglets at the trough, their faces displaying the fear, the trepidation and the pride they felt on the day.  Twenty six of the nation's finest hogs vying for the ultimate prize, to follow in the trotters of such names as Alan 'IronBelly' Grainger, Carol 'Make mine a Magnesia' Kellett, John 'Bun, Bun, Bun' Bunn and Brian 'Just Desserts' Smethurst - gathered around the trough at an excellent and quite salubrious new venue.
I don't think neutral observers will understand the pace of the contest - courses enter and leave the field of play at an alarming rate (see image one) and there is barely time to lick one's lips (or anyone else's for that matter) between rounds.
Meals were superb (we managed to taste the wares) and drinks eased many nerves (please see the image of JohnnyD. in my previous posting).
No images of the meals this time - the photographer was concentrating on his own successful bid for the trophy and similarly no photos of competitors play-acting for the camera - this was 'ultimate sport' at it's most intense - you could cut the tension with a knife (if you could grab it out of Martin Rogerson's grasp).  ... And at this juncture may we all wish Martin a very long and happy retirement as he finishes with Rolls-Royce on Wednesday this week.  Take it easy buddy and enjoy!!!
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 07:23:08 AM by ranunculus »
Cliff Booker

veteran vet

« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2012, 05:17:33 PM »
Just in case visitors to the site think that AGS shows are to do with eating and that plants are only there as an excuse to eat I had better add what few pictures I have of the flowering part of the show
Verbascum letitia from Barry Winter, judged the Best in Show, just why it did not get a Farrer Medal is open to conjecture, was a lovely plant in a 30cm+ pot (does Barry do them less) in fine fettle
Anthyllis hermanniae minor...Barry Winter
Campanula (might be betulifolia but couldn't read label on pic) Barry Winter
Celmisia sp...Barry Winter. This caused some of the judges a bit of a problem as it was in a class from Native to Australasia and some said it was a UK commercial hybrid...still rather nice
No show is complete without some fine plants from Cecilia Coller so here are a few
Her winning Large Three pan which included
Neirembergia pulchella
Campanula thessala
Her winning small six entry which include
Scutellaria indica v parvifolia

JohnnyD

• Maxi-minigardenist
  • free at last!
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2012, 05:32:54 PM »
We have tried more than a few times to remember exactly when the Pudsey Pig competition started.
After the great efforts at Yesterdays show Clare came home to dig out the one and only Dower win – in 1995.
The prize was a crocus pot in the shape of a pig and was inscribed in felt tip with the date.
We think the previous year may have been Brians win and so, if that is correct, then the first mention of the Pudsey Pig would have been 1993.
This means that next year sees the twentieth anniversary of the competition.

There have been many notable wins, with Brian Smethurst being the only multiple winner. Indeed it was he who almost suffered the indignity of losing when the pea mentioned by Diane was observed on his plate at the end of the meal in the Owl pub in Rodley, the first and still the most memorable of all the venues.
On that occasion a stewards inquiry determined that the pea had been recovered from the floor and was thus declared ‘a mucky pea’ which should not disqualify its’ owner.

It is quite amazing the lengths contestants will go to secure the prestige of being a Pudsey Pig winner.
Alan Grainger and Martin Rogerson in a duel to the death – pinching chips from other contestants plates so as to secure an edge. In the end it was a clear tie – but it was Martins birthday and so he was declared the obvious winner. (As has been pointed out earlier in the thread – there is only one rule and that is that there are no rules.)
The following year nobody had a chance as Alan finished a substantial meal with biggest sweet you have ever seen. It took him ages but he got there in the end and was a deserved winner.

Yesterdays contest was quite keenly contested with a number of large and quite excellent meals being devoured. Service was top class and everyone thoroughly enjoyed repeating the tradition which started all those years ago.

Long may it continue.
JohnnyD
John Dower, Frodsham, Cheshire.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal