We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pudsey Pig or should it be the Pontefract Porker  (Read 6416 times)

veteran vet

Re: Pudsey Pig or should it be the Pontefract Porker
« Reply #30 on: June 17, 2012, 06:25:27 PM »
Having serious problems with the server, three attempts to post rejected, last try seems the server uses different arithmetic to me as when I was at school 7 was less than 10...must use new maths
More from Cecelia Collers' small six
Ramonda myconi in normal and white forms
Pimelia ferruginea one of several she had on the bench...mine is still in bud!
Bulbs were in the main not overly represented on the benches but
Allium campanulatum from Robert Rolfe was an impressive pan
I quite fancied
Calochortus albus rubellus from F&P Bundy, it was difficult to get the entire pot in to do it justice so here are two in close up. They also had two pans of
Roscoea humeana alba which were much admired...mine all went to mush in the 2010 winter but I have seed germinated this year, hope it breeds true

veteran vet

« Reply #31 on: June 17, 2012, 06:42:48 PM »
Two pans of Rhodohypoxis baurrii 'Badger' were on display, the larger by Dave Mountfort the smaller Ivor Betteridge but I show both as I feel it indicates where the 'Badger' bit came from
In the main campanulaceae were fewer in number than might have been expected but
Campanula pelia from Anne Vale how exhibited two pans that caught the eye
Edraianthus dinaricus from George Young
Two eriogonums were at the show in good form, again mine are in early bud...where's that sun?
Eriogonum thymoides from Brian Burrow and
Eriogonum umbellatum v haussknechtii from Trevor Whitaker
Cypripedium kentuckiense from Diane Clement was the first plant you saw as you walked into the show hall...good start you could say

veteran vet

« Reply #32 on: June 17, 2012, 06:56:56 PM »
Last few
Gilia caespitosa from Robin Pickering
Penstemon hirsutus v pygmaeus from Ian Instone
Physoplexis comosa from John Richards
Sarmentia repens from Wilma & Jim Wright
Thats all I have, all in all the new venue was easy to find, not far off the motorway, parking could have been a problem but just about was ok, food was served by a smiling crew throughout the day and was good tasting value for money, plenty of crack around the benches...especially about the Best in Show so the organising team had to be very pleased with the day

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #33 on: June 18, 2012, 07:51:08 AM »
Congratulations to the Bookeroos! [Perhaps that we could get a contract with the manufacturer of the crocus pot for a job lot?] Nice to see some familiar faces in the pics.
And a great look at the Show, too!
Is there more discussion on the AGS site about why a Farrer wasn't awarded?
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #34 on: June 18, 2012, 08:04:15 AM »
Many thanks, Fermi,
It wasn't the same without you both, but we coped!!!
I'm sure a few of the judges on the day will be reading this topic ... any comments about that Farrer question, folks?   ??? :-*
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

shelagh

• Black Pudding Girl
« Reply #35 on: June 18, 2012, 04:09:49 PM »
You know the answer to that  Cliff, doesn't matter what the class is you're querying "OH I DIDN'T JUDGE THAT ONE". ::)
Shelagh, Bury, Lancs.

"There's this idea that women my age should fade away. Bugger that." Baroness Trumpington

Martinr

« Reply #36 on: June 18, 2012, 05:11:53 PM »
Ah, but everyone judges 'that one' :-X :-X

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #37 on: June 18, 2012, 05:26:02 PM »
Ah, but everyone judges 'that one' :-X :-X

Can we expect a host of replies then?   :D :o
Cliff Booker

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #38 on: June 18, 2012, 08:02:21 PM »
Can we expect a host of replies then?   :D :o

I wouldn't advise holding your breath.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2012, 10:31:45 AM »
At Chelsea they have the 'people's prize' for the best garden. But how many who come to Alpine Shows have a real appreciation of the challenges and differences in growing plants? It can be an impossible choice. But for those who Show having an authorative overview must be important, not-with-standing the fact that some of the most enjoyable displays are non-competitive, that is showing a range of plants within a family or genus, or simply together to show how plants can be grown in a garden. Who would be a judge sometimes? I think Alpine Shows would benefit from less judging and more variety in how we display plants. After all everyone knows really if they have grown a plant well, the great thing is to show other people how to do it too.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Palustris

« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2012, 12:50:35 PM »
I shall put my tuppenceworth in, we walked round the show and decided that there was not one plant to which we would have given a Farrer Medal. Yes, the Verbascum was the best plant in the show, but judged against a hypothetical standard it was not quite good enough. It is only the same as not giving a First in some of the classes.
Now whether that is the right way to judge is another matter altogether and would involve changing the criteria, from being as good as that particular plant can be, to just choosing which plant is the best in the group, on the day, no matter how poor the plants in that section are.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2012, 03:01:15 PM »
I shall put my tuppenceworth in, we walked round the show and decided that there was not one plant to which we would have given a Farrer Medal. Yes, the Verbascum was the best plant in the show, but judged against a hypothetical standard it was not quite good enough. It is only the same as not giving a First in some of the classes.
Now whether that is the right way to judge is another matter altogether and would involve changing the criteria, from being as good as that particular plant can be, to just choosing which plant is the best in the group, on the day, no matter how poor the plants in that section are.
Spoken like a judge, Eric  :) You are quite correct in your comments I am sure. At times there is just not a plant "quite" good enough... it happens.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2012, 03:42:29 PM »
Certainly in the open section it is something the judges adhere to, although they tend to be a little more lenient in the intermediate/beginners sections.
Several years ago, before saxifrages regained popularity, I entered in the large saxifrage class at Loughborough, came first, but did not win the award for best saxifrage which was not awarded that year. Quite rightly, as it was just not good enough. One has to uphold certain standards after all!  ;)
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

veteran vet

« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2012, 04:15:42 PM »
I made a few enquiries from the judges of the day and it would appear that the feelings of Palustris were indeed the feelings of the judges in that while the Verbascum stood out as the best plant in the show the vast majority felt that its standard was not good enough to merit the Farrer award in that there were a few dead flowers that could have been removed but at the same time it would have been helped if more flowers had been open. As a judge who is having a year out from judging I feel that the decision on a winner/loser does not always seem fair/right, but whereas  an individual class is judged by 3 judges and forthright judge can 'dominate' in favour of their personal taste, the judging for the Farrer is by all judges, which may be 12 people, and the voting is usually by hidden ballot so is a pretty fair system. The majority in this case was against a Farrer being awarded.

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2012, 04:27:00 PM »
Many thanks Eric, Peter and George for their replies, which I'm sure are accurate and reflect the circumstances at Pontefract.
Cliff Booker

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal