We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: July 2012 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 4503 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: July 2012 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2012, 08:55:08 AM »
There were a few other white things in flower;
Acis tingitana now in full bloom;
Galanthus Cv - ?seedling
Narcissus albidus  zaianicus (or whatever!)
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 09:09:21 AM »
Fermi,

Congratulations on the Sternbergia candida.  I tried it once and it rotted before it ever did anything.  ::)  I've never got around to trying it again.  Yours looks like it is absolutely thriving.  Well done.

And if you're wondering why I have reappeared...... Otto rang me today and told me he was going to send someone around to beat me up if I didn't make an effort to get back up and post here again.  :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 09:13:40 AM »
Here's a few things that were flowering earlier this month.  All these were taken prior to the 15th of July.

Crocus cyprius, Crocus minimus albus, a good form of Crocus sieberi ssp sieberi (thanks to Otto a few years ago), a large form of Eranthis hyemalis and lastly a somewhat confused Iris histrioides 'Katharine Hodgkin', flowering a tad earlier than it should be.

Click on the pic for a larger version.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 10:31:35 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 09:19:05 AM »
And some Snowies.....

A lovely form of Galanthus elwesii that no longer has a name (was given to me without one, but was originally a named variety).  It is always pretty much the earliest elwesii to flower.

Galanthus 'Ketton', which has the most lovely markings.

A clump of Galanthus 'Primrose Warburg' I am coveting in a friend's garden.  I've not been successful with any yellows I have tried.... although I have finally got 'Lady Elphinstone' through 18 months which is good.  Hopefully I've broken that hoodoo on yellows.  I do have a few yellow seedlings surviving from UK seed thankfully, so I have yet to find out whether they will be inheriting the yellow trait from their parents. 8)

And lastly a nice clump of Narcissus bulbocodium 'Galligaskins'.

Click on the pic for a larger version.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 10:30:49 AM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 09:54:20 AM »
..............And if you're wondering why I have reappeared...... Otto rang me today and told me he was going to send someone around to beat me up if I didn't make an effort to get back up and post here again.  :o

and quite right too Paul, I was planning a similar fate for you.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2012, 12:38:33 PM »
Oops, I forgot one that I meant to post.... Clematis napaulensis.  Was flowering last month, is flowering this month, and will be flowering next month too.  Such a great plant.  And don't the honeyeaters just love them!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2012, 12:48:37 PM »
Oops, I forgot one that I meant to post.... Clematis napaulensis.  Was flowering last month, is flowering this month, and will be flowering next month too.  Such a great plant.  And don't the honeyeaters just love them!!
Wow i can't wait until my babies flower(thank you Lesley).
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2012, 01:04:27 PM »
Davey,

I think it one of the best Clematis, for sheer number of flowers over period of time.  If conditions are just right there is a "hint" of daphne perfume, but I've rarely captured more than an elusive breath of it.  ::)  The biggest scare is the first time you grow it and it goes dormant in summer..... you initially think it has died if you aren't prepared for it, "summer deciduous" is just so wrong when compared to everything ele in the family.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

angie

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2012, 11:32:45 PM »
Paul that Clematis is lovely, something special I would say  8)

Good man that Otto is, I was missing you Paul and was wandering where you had got to. Well done Otto.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2012, 05:29:11 AM »

And if you're wondering why I have reappeared...... Otto rang me today and told me he was going to send someone around to beat me up if I didn't make an effort to get back up and post here again.  :o

That's the trouble with Otto, a very violent man. ;D ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 05:36:51 AM »
I have Sternbergia candida and it flowered beautifully (and with a delicious perfume) the season after it came from Marcus but hasn't flowered since. I think we may not have sufficient heat in summer to ripen the bulbs.

For reasons unknown, nor is Clem. napaulensis flowering this year either, after doing so well and giving me a lot of seed last year. Has yours germinated Davey? I sowed some myself and it's coming through now, 15 so far. Just as well as lifting the main plant would be almost impossible, and while I haven't said much about it yet, we now have our place on the market and the list of plants I have to retrieve from the garden is looking quite daunting. I wake in the night and add a few more to the notebook I take to bed with me! I hope we DON'T sell quickly or at least can arrange a long completion date.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Mini bulb lover

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 06:08:55 AM »
Some beautiful flowers above, that's for sure.

I've only been growing iris reticulata for about 8 years and during that time I've never encountered a problem. But this week one of the flowers (Harmony) has come up deformed. All the rest that have flowered so far have been fine. Could anyone suggest what may have happened to this one? Has anyone else ever had this issue?
Jon Ballard
Eastern suburbs of Melbourne - Australia

Lover of small flowering bulbs.
"Good things come in small packages"

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 07:59:46 AM »
Jon,

Hopefully it is just something environmental and won't happen again.  It doesn't look good, does it!!  :o

Lesley,

Moving eh?  Are you moving far?  You don't have to leave NZ just because Anthony has moved there you know.  ;)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

angie

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 12:50:10 PM »
Lesley if you are selling up can I have your place. I could easy leave this wet weather. Maybe I am to old to be allowed into your country. I hope you have somewhere nice to go. It's my garden that keeps me here. I could easy leave the house, I would love to move to a more sheltered garden as 60% of the time it is windy here but when you put a lot of effort in its hard to leave but it will happen one day.

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2012, 02:21:11 PM »
That's the trouble with Otto, a very violent man. ;D ;D
Very true, I've seen him attack his supper.......  :o ;)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal