We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: November 2007 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 31715 times)

ranunculus

• utterly butterly
  • ALL BUTTER AND LARD
Re: November 2007 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2007, 10:39:22 PM »
Pretty impressive toilet that is Paul...HOT flushes, eh?

Don't you live in Can...brrrrr?
Cliff Booker
Behind a camera in Whitworth. Lancashire. England.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #91 on: November 19, 2007, 11:17:12 PM »
I think we had 28oC for a couple of days two summer ago. Probably the first time in Dunblane since 1976? Today it was 9oC and wet.

The new Dunblane High School opened its doors to pupils today. Vast improvement on the new (6 years ago) (alleged) carbuncle that is Graeme High School in Falkirk. That (alleged) abomination could (allegedly) be improved by the strategic placement of a few sticks of dynamite. It would certainly fix the problems we have with temperature: baltic in the assembly hall and a sauna in the rooms on the south side of the school when the sun shines, even at this time of the year. >:(
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #92 on: November 19, 2007, 11:21:15 PM »
Only in winter Cliff, only in winter.  Definitely not brrrr is summer (or even last spring in this case).  The scary part is that our hottest months are January, February and into March (varying as to peak temps during that time, some years we get 40'C around new years day, others not until late January and Early Feb).... when we're only the middle of November it doesn't bode well for what this summer is going to be like, particularly with so little rain around except the odd thunderstorms.  :-\

Anthony,

28'C is a cooler day in the middle of summer here.  Quite refreshing after a week of 35'C I might add!!  ;D  Just shouldn't be above 30 for a week or more in November.  Thursday we're forecast 24 (will be heavenly) then 27 then back to 31'C for the next 3 days after that.  Going to be a lot of above 30 this month by the look of it.  Will definitely bring the total outside mains watering ban into place earlier if this keeps up.  :'(
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2007, 06:52:57 AM »
28'C is a cooler day in the middle of summer here.  Quite refreshing after a week of 35'C I might add!!  ;D  Just shouldn't be above 30 for a week or more in November.  Thursday we're forecast 24 (will be heavenly) then 27 then back to 31'C for the next 3 days after that.  Going to be a lot of above 30 this month by the look of it.  Will definitely bring the total outside mains watering ban into place earlier if this keeps up.  :'(

It sounds just like us, except we've had very good spring showers and relatively cool temperatures - things are hotting up a little bit now though - yesterday we had 33'C (what we call 'berg wind' conditions - hot and dry pre-frontal north-westerlies), today we have 20'C (cool, moist south-easterlies as the cold front passes through). All in all fantastic summer weather!  :)
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2007, 07:40:31 AM »
Things are certainly starting to dry out a bit.
Here's the dwarf Alstroemeria hookeri but you can see the non flowering shoots have all withered.
35176-0

35178-1

This Happlopappus coronopifolius was grown from seed from Lesley in 2004 and has gone from strength to strength.
35180-2

cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2007, 08:07:19 AM »
Fermi,

Nice alstro.  I grow a whole bunch of the hybrids, but very few of the species.  I grow them in waterwell tubs (i.e self-watering) to give them the extra moisture they like at times.  Also contains them so that they don't escape.  Some of the delicate little species pics I've seen look much more behaved and well worth growing.  Thanks for the pics.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2007, 07:26:14 AM »
Paul,
it would be worth your while finding some of these small species as they are less invasive (certainly less than A. pulchella or A. aurea types) and are suited to our climate. We also have A. angustifolia which behaves itself in the rock garden. I had A. pulchra in a pot but unfortunately no longer! maybe one day the few seeds it produced will germinate! I got A.versicolor germinating after a few years but am not sure if it will grow outside, so it's staying in the shadehouse for now!
After all the heat of the last few days, it's now raining! SO much for our "dry mediterranean" climate!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #97 on: November 22, 2007, 02:28:02 AM »
We've had five glorious days starting last Saturday with about 23C and a little warmer each day, 31C yesterday. Back to 12 today ??? But the 31 did for a few things as I have been away in town each day (jury) and unable to water much. Seedling primulas in particular have suffered and the little Ajuga `Arctic Fox' with heavy white variegation, may not recover. It will be the second I've lost to too much hot and dry. It's very sensitive.

I've taken a few pictures though.

35287-0
This one is to make Paul a little green around the gills but is not the best as with conditions yesterday even these 25 fresh flowers of Weldenia candida are feeling the heat. Fortunately there are MANY more to come. :)

35289-1
And I couldn't resist another of Lewisia rediviva alba. There are still more buds but by the time they're out the first will have gone off.

35291-2

35293-3
I hope Dave Toole is pleased to note that the iris he gave to me is doing well. This beauty is a regelio-cyclus hybrid called `Vera.'

35295-4
One of my favourite roses is Rosa moyesii `Geranium' but it's almost impossible to get it nowadays. When I parked my car yesterday I met the Dunedin City Council top dog in Parks and Reserves and took the opportunity to ask him if I could have some cuttings a little later in the season. Yes :-* The building of the railway station makes a very nice background for the rose.

I've grown seed from this cultivar but the babies are a vulgar pink shade, nothing like the rich lipstick red of the parent, hence the need for cuttings.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 02:30:39 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #98 on: November 22, 2007, 03:29:57 AM »
Yesterday was a most interesting and varied day with a court case first thing, then Ian Rankin's talk ("A Conversation with..") at lunchtime and then a jaunt to the Botanic Gardens for a look at what's happening in the Clive Lister Garden. There were several other, shorter visits/jobs to do in between times so a full-on day and pleased to have a cold, no-cook dinner outside, on a beautiful, warm and windless evening. Started with Lemoncello and tonic water/ice and ended with Sauvignon Blanc.

35297-0
Probably the largest of the Astelia species, like a large flax (Phormium) bush but glossily silver-coated.

35299-1

35301-2
This is a quite benign aciphylla with softly pointed leaved instead of the usual killing swords. It is A. diefenbachii from the Chatham Islands and one of the easier and more permanent species to grow.

35303-3
This is perhaps the biggest kowhai I know (Sophora tetraptera) and a lovely shape to boot, which many are not.

35305-4
I've not seen a Mahonia with this colouring in its new growth. It looked very tropical and exotic.

35307-5
The gold of Berberis thunbergii `Aurea' is outstanding with a really good blue-leaved hosta. In the Clive Lister Garden the hostas always look so fresh and strong, without a single spot of pest damage. Ample water has them growing to close to a metre in height.

35309-6

35311-7

A blue cedar seems to grow out of the massed hostas. Arisaemas in the foreground.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2007, 08:10:55 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #99 on: November 22, 2007, 03:53:38 AM »
OK Lesley, you win!!  I will stop feeling pleased with my Weldenia candida now.  ::)

The Lewisia is lovely!!  Received some seed this week from the UK of a couple of Lewisia and don't want to wait until they flower in a few years time.  So pleased to have them and their wonderful promise.

Cool pics!!  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #100 on: November 22, 2007, 04:08:49 AM »
Lewisias don't take long to flower Paul. The L. cotyledon forms are usually ready about a year after germination or a few months longer. Likewise the excellent (and true from seed) L. `Little Plum.' This rediviva seedling only took about 18 months. L. pygmaea is in flower now, still in its seed pot, sown just 15 months ago.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #101 on: November 22, 2007, 04:17:02 AM »
Lesley,

Did you hold and sow yours in autumn, or sow them as soon as you got them (I'm talking here about northern hemisphere seed).  I'm hoping they'll do OK for me.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Ray Mills

• raysunusualplants.com
« Reply #102 on: November 22, 2007, 12:21:18 PM »
Hi,
Guildford is between Castlemaine and Daylesford in central Victoria (Australia) with minimums of -4C in  winter and maximums of 35C in summer.
Regards Ray.
Ray in
Guildford Victoria Australia

http://www.raysunusualplants.com/

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #103 on: November 22, 2007, 02:08:09 PM »
OK Southern Hemisphere Friends,

You have done yourselves proud today with such a wonderful display. Great plants entirely.

Where to start with the list of those most admired?

Lesley, I couldn't deny you the enjoyment you are obviously enjoying with your Lewesia rediviva 'Alba' which is simply stunning. It's a pity they are not so fond of the winter wet we get here and are difficult to keep going outside during the winter.

That little Weldenia candida is a complete dote, a real beauty. I grow some other kind of weldenia here, yellow flowered, and find it excellent growing along the edge of a path where it encroached onto the path more and more each year now almost covering it but does not mind being walked upon and is a great ground cover.

The aciphylla is simply to die for, would love to grow it at some time. The Kowkai is a brilliant tree, love it. Mount Stewart in Northern Ireland had two outstanding specimens growing in the lawn in front of the house but one was lost. The remaining one is a huge tree, a really mature specimen and only breaks one's heart that the pair didn't survive together. It was a fabulous idea to plant the pair and such a pity that one has been lost.

I share your admiration of the rose. As well as an excellent floral display the hips are also excellent. Will it not also come true from seed?  I thought it would.

Ray,

I am very surprised that the dicentra grow so well for you considering your high summer temperatures. Do the flower earlier in the year and go dormant during the hotter season?

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #104 on: November 22, 2007, 03:25:32 PM »
Great show everyone - keep it going - b e a u t i f u l !!!!  8)
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal