We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: November 2007 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 31416 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: November 2007 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #120 on: November 26, 2007, 12:00:04 AM »
Some new flowers to show you!
The Campanula which was in bud is now open: Campanula troegerae.
35495-0

35497-1

Last year, I think, Anthony said that it looked more like the cross between C. troegerae and betulifolia and seeing that the flowers are more bowl-shaped I think I must agree.
Another new to flower is in the Rock Garden, Asperula nitida ssp subcapitella, from AGS Seedex, sown in June this year.
35499-2

35501-3

A huge name for such a tiny flowering plant! I wish we could get seed of some of the lovely forms we saw in Prague in May! Especially the pink A. arcadiensis! It's even on our "allowed" imports list!
I'll finish with some more rainlilies: Habranthus martinezii and Zephyranthes drummondii.
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #121 on: November 26, 2007, 04:16:23 AM »
Fermi, someone will confirm (or deny) but I think Asperula arcadiensis is the correct name for what we've grown for many years as A. suberosa, which is different again.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #122 on: November 26, 2007, 04:56:39 AM »
Fermi,

That's early for H. martinezii.... ours usually isn't about for a month, but then again we've had it hot and dry so you just never know!!??
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #123 on: November 26, 2007, 06:39:32 AM »
Lesley
they're both on our "allowed" list so if someone were to send seeds of each or either we'd be very happy to grow them on to see if there is a difference!

Paul,
I seem to remember that these flowered about this time last year but they're always dependent on the rain. The Habranthus robusta hybrid "Russell Manning" is also flowering and I'll try to get a pic of it tonight or tomorrow if it lasts that long! The individual floret is about the size of a single Amaryllis belladonna bloom!
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

t00lie

• Style Icon
  • If i'm not at home i'll be in the mountains.
« Reply #124 on: November 26, 2007, 09:00:26 AM »
Fermi i see you have posted a pic on page 8 of Silene hookeri  ingrami group.

I also have seed up ,(sown jan 07),from possibly the same source ?--(last years SRGC seedlist).

I suppose within the group there must be quite a bit of variation ,as in previous years plants grown from seed from other seedexs under that name have resulted in different coloured flowers ,some with deeply cut linear lobes.

It will be interesting to compare 'notes' when flowering hopefully starts here soon.

Cheers Dave

« Last Edit: November 26, 2007, 09:44:15 AM by t00lie »
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #125 on: November 26, 2007, 09:31:15 AM »
I was hoping for some Silene hookeri ingrami from this years' seedlist, alas, there's no trace of it on the list .. :'(
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #126 on: November 26, 2007, 09:43:17 AM »
Luc ---you are most welcome to seed from any of the plants i finally show.That's if you like the form i end up with .
Smile.(still can't post any of the emotions above--darn it!!!!).

I'll leave you to remind me later on.

Cheers Dave.
Dave Toole. Invercargill bottom of the South Island New Zealand. Zone 9 maritime climate 1100mm rainfall pa.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #127 on: November 26, 2007, 10:09:53 AM »
Most generous Dave !  :D
I'll make a note on my calendar... although I'll have to think twice in what month I put the note ???  ;D
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #128 on: November 26, 2007, 08:58:21 PM »
Fermi, my Aperula suberosa (or...) has never set any seed. Nor have any of the others, lilaciflora caspitosa, gussonii, nitida puberula.

Luc, my Silene hookeri Ingramii Group (grown from seed sent to me by John Forrest), is in massive flower right now and already has heaps of fat seed pods, so I can send some before Dave's will be ready. I still have your address. I won't even need reminding. :D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 07:18:28 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #129 on: November 27, 2007, 12:20:30 AM »
Hope you enjoy the Blue Mountains, Dave and Lesley.  Sorry I won't be there but am walking the Routeburn next week.  Only hope I am not helicoptered out!

Lesley, Asperula nitida puberula, which I think I got from you, does not set seed either, but is looking good at present.
Asperula nitida puberula.
Speirantha convallarioides.
Roscoea cautleoides.
My favourite plant at this time of the year, Ranunculus lyallii.

Susan
Dunedin, New Zealand

t00lie

• Style Icon
« Reply #130 on: November 27, 2007, 12:45:38 AM »
Between us Luc you might end up with some nice forms.

Summer seemed to arrive here last week and quickly turned the last of the Trilliums blooms 'over'.

However back to normal service this morning with hail showers and temps down to the low teens.

A few shots taken over the weekend---

Gladiolus tristis --only one bloom after dividing it earlier in the year.

Scilla verna--i also have the pink form .

Moraea sps.

Bulbinella rossii ---I just about split it up last year as it had bulked up to 3 sizeable growths in the clump .Glad i didn't as it's looking particularly good this season .

Quote from Susan "...walking the Routeburn next week.Only hope i am not helicoptered out".

All depends on how much wine you drink i guess Susan.
If you do need to catch a ride ,to save any embarrassment please do not mention you are a SRGC member-- --we have our standards you know.

Cheers dave.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2007, 12:48:07 AM by t00lie »

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #131 on: November 27, 2007, 12:57:03 AM »
What on earth are you doing there Dave, with the smileys? Trying to say "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" or something?

Susan, have a marvellous time on the Routeburn. Lots of piccies for us?

Susan

• Shoe Pixie
« Reply #132 on: November 27, 2007, 05:09:34 AM »
Dave, as I have to carry the wine, I am not sure I shall be taking much with me.   Of course I'd mention the SRGC, I could do my best Scottish accent -  I wouldn't want them to think I was a Kiwi would I ;D

Susan
Dunedin, New Zealand

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #133 on: November 27, 2007, 06:00:06 AM »
ALl this talk about mountain climbing is leaving me quite exhausted!
I promised Paul that I'd post a few more rainlily pics, so here they are.
This is Habranthus"Russell Manning" which I received from Murray Cubis (Discovery Bulbs) in Armidale, NSW. He told me that he grew it from seed from ....the SRGC Seedex!!!
It's apparently an Habranthus robustus hybrid.
35586-0

Here it is compared with H.martinezii for size.
35588-1

I sowed some seed of it a few years ago and this seedling has slightly darker tips to the petals and shorter flower scapes, but otherwise seems the same.
35590-2

35592-3

Today there was a bloom on Zephyranthes grandiflora so I've crossed them and hope I might get something interesting!
35594-4

cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #134 on: November 27, 2007, 06:15:42 AM »
Fermi,

The problem is, if it is grown from sed then it shouldn't be labelled as Russell Manning, but rather as a seedling thereof.  :(

Great pics though.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal