We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Aroids (the family Araceae)  (Read 89153 times)

TheOnionMan

• the onion man has layers
Re: Aroids (the family Araceae)
« Reply #120 on: April 17, 2010, 10:32:04 PM »

http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/temperate/?gal=Arisaema&id=2484

That "sikokianum, takadae and limbatum" hybrid is beautiful. Well, I enjoy my spontaneous cross between amurense and tashiroi... I don't send in seed to any seedexes of such things... they just exist, on their own accord, in my garden.  I thought it might be interesting for others to see that the characteristics are quite intermediate.  It also serves as an example, or caution, for would-be seed donators who donate seed from garden grown open-pollinated plants. 

Now, if Roy Herold could cross my 6' (2 meter) giant form of A. heterophyllum with sikokianum of his new hybrid, imagine a ginormous sikokianum type thing that grows a meter tall or more... fantastic.  Better yet, maybe he can cross it with Amorphophallus to get even plants of even greater gargantuan size ;D

Roy should be at a local NARGS meeting tomorrow, I'll ask him about this.
Mark McDonough
Massachusetts, USA (near the New Hampshire border)
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Pascal B

« Reply #121 on: April 17, 2010, 11:00:23 PM »
Despite my doubts about Arisaema hybridisation I am ashamed to admit I made one cross myself......:-[

I am still doubtful Arisaema candidissimum and lichiangense are seperate species so I crossed one of the many forms of candidissimum with lichiangense to see what the result would be. Surprisingly the offspring turned out to be 3 different types, each quite attractive with somewhat candy-colours, underneath one of them. But I still believe both species should be merged under one name because morphologically there is no unique character that distinguishes one from the other. A well known taxonomist once told me that he thought both were different species because they grow at different altitudes, an argument that I still find surprising because many Arisaema species are distributed over a wide altitudinal range which does affect some features but does not make the forms from different altitudes a different species.

TheOnionMan

« Reply #122 on: April 17, 2010, 11:23:47 PM »
Despite my doubts about Arisaema hybridisation I am ashamed to admit I made one cross myself......:-[

tisk tisk :o   Your hybrid is stunning, shame on you for creating such a beauty ;D

You bring up a good point however, it can be useful to understand about hybridization possibilities between species to give further clues, as in your own experiment.  On the other hand, in some genera such as Allium, there have been studies showing that disparate Allium species from separate sections of the genus have strong possibility to hybridize... perhaps explaining why seemingly unlikely hybrids between species like American nodding onion and prairie onion (Allium cernuum, stellatum, respectively), will cross spontaneously with unrelated Asian species like A. nutans and senescens.

Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #123 on: April 17, 2010, 11:52:58 PM »
That is really lovely. It could be fashioned from porcelain.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

TheOnionMan

« Reply #124 on: April 18, 2010, 11:27:54 PM »

Recently a picture of a cross made by Roy Herold with sikokianum, takadae and limbatum as DNA-donors was posted by one of the AEG members.

http://botu07.bio.uu.nl/temperate/?gal=Arisaema&id=2484

Are there two Roy Herolds?  The Roy Herold that I thought was being referred to is American, living in Massachusetts, New England.  When I asked about this Arisaema hybrid, he said he has no knowledge of such a thing... which leads me to believe it must be a different Roy Herold.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Pascal B

« Reply #125 on: April 19, 2010, 07:43:14 AM »
Could be Mark, this Roy Herold was one of the starters of the Arisaema internet community and was the first one with a website on Arisaema, now made part of the website of the International Aroid Society: http://www.aroid.org/genera/arisaema/herold/

I am not familiar with the plantcommunity in the US so wouldn't know.

Gail

• So don't forget my friend to smell the flowers
« Reply #126 on: April 19, 2010, 12:16:17 PM »
Arum creticum flowering now.  I've also had A. purpureospathum growing in the garden for some years but never got it to flower; I assume it wants a warmer climate.
Gail Harland
Norfolk, England

TheOnionMan

« Reply #127 on: April 19, 2010, 01:50:01 PM »
Could be Mark, this Roy Herold was one of the starters of the Arisaema internet community and was the first one with a website on Arisaema, now made part of the website of the International Aroid Society: http://www.aroid.org/genera/arisaema/herold/

I am not familiar with the plantcommunity in the US so wouldn't know.

What fooled me was the name you gave; Roy Herald.  In the link you provide, the person's name is Ray Herold.
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Robin Callens

• Green Mile Nursery
« Reply #128 on: April 19, 2010, 10:02:29 PM »
Hi all,

I made a cross between Arisaema serratum and A. kishidae (pollen) in 2004. This resulted in several slightly different seedlings.
All are more vigorous and (in my opinion) more attractive than the parents.

Robin Callens, Waregem, Belgium, zone 8

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
« Reply #129 on: April 20, 2010, 11:23:21 AM »
Here are two selections of Arisaema triphyllum.

The first I found as a small percentage of a population in west Tennessee about 6 years ago. The silver veined forms were 10-15% of the plants present. It usually only has one leaf per shoot, is more slender, and a smaller plant than "Mrs. French's" form.

The second I found about 8 years ago in east Tennessee as a single large plant about 1 m tall. It grows much shorter in the garden, but it has a dark spathe, dark stem, and purple centers to the leaves. It also forms short "rhizomes" from the mother tuber and grows little tubers about 6-10 cm away.

Aaron Floden

Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

TheOnionMan

« Reply #130 on: April 23, 2010, 03:02:49 PM »
Here are two selections of Arisaema triphyllum.

The first I found as a small percentage of a population in west Tennessee about 6 years ago. The silver veined forms were 10-15% of the plants present. It usually only has one leaf per shoot, is more slender, and a smaller plant than "Mrs. French's" form.

The second I found about 8 years ago in east Tennessee as a single large plant about 1 m tall. It grows much shorter in the garden, but it has a dark spathe, dark stem, and purple centers to the leaves. It also forms short "rhizomes" from the mother tuber and grows little tubers about 6-10 cm away.

Aaron Floden

The dark leaf-veined form is not one that I've seen, or at least, while still having mostly green leaves.  I have a couple dark leaf forms where the purplish color is throughout the leaf parts, but your find looks quite distinctive.  The triphyllums are only just starting to emerge here, must go triphyllum hunting in a few weeks  :D

Have been snapping lots of Epimedium pics recently, and the expanding bloom on my hybrid A. amurense x tashiroi looked photogenic in the sunlight, with epimedium backdrop.  In this planting, I have some large flat rocks placed as stepping stones, one by this Arisaema, and when I step on it, squat down to snap pics, I catch the stink of this Arisaema's flowers  :o :P :-X    Notice the fly on top of the spathe in the second shot.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 03:06:06 PM by TheOnionMan »
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

ArnoldT

« Reply #131 on: April 23, 2010, 09:03:28 PM »
Here are a couple of images at anthesis.

Arnold
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Pascal B

« Reply #132 on: April 23, 2010, 10:23:38 PM »
Arnold, I am 100% sure this is Arisaema ehimense

Pascal

ArnoldT

« Reply #133 on: April 23, 2010, 11:40:33 PM »
Thanks, Pascal.  Now I can change the label.

Regards,

Arnold
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

TheOnionMan

« Reply #134 on: April 24, 2010, 12:28:17 AM »
Thanks, Pascal.  Now I can change the label.

Regards,

Arnold

And what an awesome species it is! :o  I love the shiny black stems and leaf petioles, not sure about the weird "corn dog" spadix ;D
Mark McDonough
USDA Zone 5
antennaria at aol.com

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal