We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Gentian Day at RHS Harlow Carr  (Read 903 times)

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
Gentian Day at RHS Harlow Carr
« on: August 22, 2012, 02:46:47 PM »
Looking at the latest edition of 'The Garden' I see that the RHS is hosting a Gentian Day at Harlow Carr, Harrogate on Friday 12 October, 9-30am to 4pm. Speakers will include Harry Jans and Jim Jermyn. Cost to the public will be £43 but members of the RHS, AGS & SRGC get for £35. Pity that the SRGC had not been notified earlier, it could have been included in Secretaries Pages. October is a busy time for us with SRGC business but we are thinking about going.
For bookings tel: 0845 612 1253
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 03:49:26 PM by David Shaw »
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
Re: Gentian Day at RHS Harlow Carr
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 05:32:42 PM »
David,

You could go to the Newcastle SRGC show at Ponteland on the way home!  :D ;) :D
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 06:48:00 PM »
I think that we would be looking at using the train, Peter, but thanks for the invitation  ;)
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 06:53:27 PM »
If I were attending I'd be going by train, too. Trains are available from Harrogate to Newcastle and public transport is available from Newcastle Station to Ponteland - not a long journey....... :)

Gentian Day at Harlow Carr
12th October 2012  :    09:30 - 16:00
The RHS's  Joint Rock Garden Plant Committee is to host a day devoted to sharing their expertise in growing gentians, a very popular alpine plant. The event will take place on Friday 12 October 2012, at RHS Garden Harlow Carr, Crag Lane, Harrogate, North Yorkshire HG3 1UE.

(This is the  day before the SRGC/AGS Show at The Memorial Hall, Darras Road, Ponteland, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, NE20 9NX and may give the excuse needed for a weekend away!)

The full day's programme will comprise a series of talks by internationally acclaimed experts including Harry Jans, founder member of the Dutch Rock Garden Society, lecturer and horticultural consultant Jim Jermyn and Chair of the Rock Garden Plant Committee Kit Grey-Wilson, as well as cultural demonstrations and tours of the garden led by RHS staff and Committee members. This will be a most interesting day for those who wish to learn more about this beautiful plant that is a must for the rock garden.

Book By: 10/10/2012

Tickets for RHS, Scottish Rock Garden Club and Alpine Garden Society  members are priced at £35, non-members £43. Both prices include entry into the garden. Lunch is NOT included.

RHS Membership Department

PO Box 313
LONDON
SW1P 2PE

Call 0845 6121253 and quote booking ref: 9516 (weekdays 9am-5pm)

Timetable for Gentian Day:

9.30     Introduction 

9.35     The Gentian Family (Gentianaceae), an over view: Christopher Grey-Wilson

10.15   From Yunnan and Sichuan to Tibet; Gentians in Western China: Harry Jans

11.15   break

11.45   Autumn Gentians, variety and cultivation: Jim Jermyn

12.45   lunch

14.00   Gentiana Cultivation, a practical workshop (Tim Lever, Aberconwy Nursery)

Also: Tours led by RHS staff members around Harlow Carr Gardens

Also:  Plant sales from Aberconwy Nursery, Edrom Nursey etc - expect Gentians to feature strongly!
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 02:17:46 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2012, 07:11:06 PM »
For such honoured guests, perhaps even lifts could be arranged from Newcastle station.  ;)
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal