We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: October 2012 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 19090 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: October 2012 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #120 on: October 22, 2012, 08:55:48 AM »
There is an article in the March 2011 edition of The Plantsman "Plant ageing and its effect on stem cuttings", which says in general terms that the ability of a woody plant to produce roots from it's stems declines with the chronological/physiological age of the cultivar
as long as long as it's the age of the plant we're talking about and not the cultivator! ;D - that's usually supposed to help the success rate!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #121 on: October 22, 2012, 09:02:40 AM »
A few new things in the Aussie native section of the garden
Eremophila densifolia, a nice matting plant with deep coloured foliage
Ajuga australis - nicely felted
Pelargonium "Malle Magic" (actually this one is in a pot)
Lachie with Leschenaultia biloba and Senna artemisioides

cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #122 on: October 22, 2012, 09:15:47 AM »
Scottish pronunciation of Lachie or Antipodean?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #123 on: October 22, 2012, 09:37:44 AM »
Scottish pronunciation of Lachie or Antipodean?
I think it should be Lackie (as in "Lachie Jnr" on 'Hamish Mcbeth') but unfortunately he was brought up on the antipodean/Irish pronunciation (Lochie)! Doesn't matter - he doesn't respond to either when he doesn't want to!
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #124 on: October 22, 2012, 09:55:42 AM »
Doesn't matter - he doesn't respond to either when he doesn't want to!
cheers
fermi
;D ;D ;D The 'a' is pronounced as in 'hat' in Scotland.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2012, 07:26:51 AM by Anthony Darby »

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #125 on: October 22, 2012, 12:04:36 PM »
Fermi,

Great to see Lachie again.  And I love that Pelargonium Mallee Magic.  Very, very nice.  I seem to recall commenting that when seeing it in person at your place a couple of years ago?  Beautiful little thing.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #126 on: October 22, 2012, 09:06:22 PM »
I would have thought Lockie (or somewhere between both spellings, but with that German throaty sound, as in J S Bach (not Bark).

I remember years ago when my nursery was in the grounds of a rhododendron nursery near Geraldine in South Canterbury that the proprietor of that, said cuttings were always best from young as possible plants and he outraged many of his customers by supplying plants which had been denuded of new, cutting-type growth. It never occurred to me that the principle may apply to many or all woody plants.

My two little Daphnes are flowering equally well, the other in a Hokonui trough but will have to be moved out with everything else to relocate unless I can get a lorry with a hi-ab or whatever it's called, to lift the troughs from their present well-stuck-in positions. Not sure that I'll be able to afford that though. The potted one was in my tunnel for best part of a year and the tunnel now being heavily shaded by grown gums and pines has become very dark. The daphne made 30-something new growths but they were rather etoliated and soft so I trimmed off all but two and made them into cuttings. Gradually all died except one which still continues slowly. So the trough plant is bigger not having had a year's growth trimmed off but both are flowering really well. D. arbuscula, also in a trough has flowered superbly as always. I find it easy from cuttings provided they have bottom heat for a couple of months. That's something I haven't had here but will arrange for, when we move.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2012, 09:33:53 PM by Maggi Young »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #127 on: October 22, 2012, 09:29:42 PM »
Yesterday afternoon at the Botanic Gardens I had the great pleasure of meeting the Crowden sisters Amarlie and Lesley, as they holiday in New Zealand. I was so impressed with them, especially their zest for life and for their enjoyment of everything they do or experience.

They left with me, a book about Kaydale Lodge, their home and garden and its development from their father's original purchase of a farm to the present day, almost 50 years, and fully illustrated to show the progress over that time. The garden pictures are very exciting and whatever we in New Zealand feel we can do with fritillarias and trilliums in particular, is minor in comparison. The sisters have built rock walls, laid out well designed gardens for all kinds of choice plants and even the stone paths are their own work. Over 160 tonnes of rock were brought in from the farm to turn a sloping paddock into a rockery, plans drawn up by the girls ("It looked smaller on graph paper" said their father, Robert).

The garden now includes homestay, restaurant and gift shop, all run by the family. In their early 30s, these sisters have an exciting future ahead and I am stunned by their knowledge and experience and skills in such young women. I hope when they return to north west Tasmania in a few weeks that they will post more pictures here to give an idea of the extent of their projects and how wonderfully well they grow their plants. I'll certainly be planning a trip to their part of the world as soon as possible.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

arillady

« Reply #128 on: October 22, 2012, 09:47:45 PM »
Sounds like a must-see garden in NW Tasmania.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #129 on: October 22, 2012, 09:51:44 PM »
Sounds like a must-see garden in NW Tasmania.
I think that's true!
I think Lesley's photos of the garden must have got lost when the first  forum was lost.
Whet your appetite: http://www.kaydalelodge.com.au/TheGarden.html
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #130 on: October 22, 2012, 10:29:12 PM »
This has to be the worst-ever October we've had, usually a lovely month. Typing away I heard a strong noise like stones falling on an iron roof. It's hail crashing into the window!

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #131 on: October 23, 2012, 07:28:28 AM »
Ever since we arrived in New Zealand we have had the 'worst.............' as far as weather in concerned.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #132 on: October 23, 2012, 08:17:18 AM »
There you go Lesley.  It's Anthony's fault for the aweful weather.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #133 on: October 23, 2012, 10:15:10 AM »
We must hope it improves then. My un-gardening operations are being disrupted considerably.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #134 on: October 23, 2012, 11:26:20 AM »
Lesley,

Now don't you go bumping Anthony off, just so that you get some better weather.  :o  That wouldn't be neighbourly.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal