We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: October 2012 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 19605 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: October 2012 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2012, 04:28:15 AM »
At the risk of boring the pants off forumists - can anyone please provide names for these DBI?

PS Fermi I think you previously gave a name to the blue stitch variety.

Hi Marcus,
yes, the last one looks like what we have as "Knick Knack"; we also have the first 2  - but from friends who didn't have the correct names either!

Uhm I wonder what I grew years ago as Pelargonium triste as it had more red in it I thought.
Pat,
I also have another Pelargonium triste which has more red in the flower - it came from Lyle at Roraima Nsy at Lara - but it flowers a bit later. This one was grown from seed from Silverhills,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

arillady

« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2012, 08:44:57 AM »
Hi Marcus,
Pretty sure I have that second iris from you - strange blue colour that it is and must be a named variety.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2012, 10:33:37 PM »
Marcus,

Number 3 is 'Making Eyes'.  In flower here too.

Lovely photos from everyone.  The Irises (paradoxa for example) are fascinating to see.  So "strange" iris-wise.  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2012, 01:43:51 PM »
3 plants flowering ina cool,shady spot in my garden at the moment- all pink:
 the Trillium is from the Edinburg  Bot anic Garden
I find Cypripedium formosanum the easiest ,apart from the Frosch Hybrids,
if only Sanguinaria would'nt be so fleeting in flower - there are also large patches of the fl.pl. in flower .
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2012, 01:53:34 PM »
sorry , forgot to resize the Trillium
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2012, 02:29:23 PM »
Beautiful, Otto.  Now I want to come back down for another visit.  I so want to see a real live Cypripedium in flower.  ;D 

I didn't realise until now that there were pink Sanguinarias, but the double white form that you sent me a few years back is open here at present as well.  Not been enough sun today to open them today (it was raining on and off today) and the last couple of days I've been at work.  Wednesday they were just starting to open, but not quite.  ::)  I do hope that the petals don't drop off before I actually see them open.   :o

And congratulations on doing so well with grandiflorum, let alone a pink one.  8)

So many things opening so quickly right now, particularly as we had 26'C twice late this week.

Thank you for your lovely pictures.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 02:32:25 PM by Paul T »
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2012, 10:41:40 PM »
Our Internet has been day for a few days and so I've been frustrated when wanting to post a few pictures. I'll try now.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 10:47:24 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2012, 10:53:08 PM »
As you see, everything is going into pots and boxes against the big move - when it happens. I'm not sure that the ?'Orange Surprise' is right. Seems too yellow to me but a good little iris all the same.

We had a big daffodil show here last weekend, Wed night setting up tables etc, Thurs day and night setting out entries and Fri, Sat and Sun of show itself. Utterly exhausted at the end, with a relatively easy market session on Sat morning for variety. We (Otago Alpine Garden Group) always have our spring show in conjunction with the Hort Soc's daff show, an international one this year, and for the first time were allowed to have a sales table. Those who wished, sold their own plants and gave a commission to the Group. I came home with a useful $500. There were only NZ entries in the daff show but many international visitors, including a lot of very charming American gentlemen. :D I have been asked by North Islanders to make a list of any bulbs I may have available in the summer. Will do.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 10:55:33 PM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2012, 10:59:23 PM »
Narcissus bulbocodium 'Billy Bunter' is a selected seedling from b. obesus, distributed by Stuart Murray of Chch. It's a good doer.
Then what I grew from seed as N. b. tenuifolius
Then Primula aureata, the only one which germinated from SRGC seed in 2010 and finally for now, Oh Glory - the true Hylomecon japonicum, 3 plants ordered from Southwell Plants, their last retail list. I also have 2 Norwegian seeds which, if they germinate grow and flower, I hope to cross with the local plants.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2012, 11:08:59 PM by Lesley Cox »

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #39 on: October 07, 2012, 02:14:51 AM »
Lovely, Lesley!

Great irises.  Maybe the "Orange Surprise" is called that because the surprise is that it is yellow?  ;D ;D

The tenuifolius looks very much like serotinus to me, but that may not mean anything. ::)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2012, 02:30:37 AM »
Hi Folks,

I love Sanguinaria canadensis but alas it doesn't like me. Its too dry for too long here. And the pink Trillium grandiflorum, and the Cypripedium and serious beautiful trio of plants Otto.

Just a couple of iris before they get battered out of existence here.

The first is Peresh
The second is has the same label as the white standards aril I posted a short while ago :-\. Pat provided me with the plant(s) and the breeding data - something is up because I definitely have two different plants. But who's complaining ;D.

Cheers, Marcus

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2012, 07:23:23 AM »
...I'm not sure that the ?'Orange Surprise' is right. Seems too yellow to me but a good little iris all the same.....

Lesley,

I know an 'Orange Surprise', but that's a tall bearded and it's really orange...yours looks nice too, but it's no 'Orange surprise'.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

arillady

« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2012, 08:21:25 AM »
Marcus I will have to do a search of the neighbouring irises to that Super Yellow to work out what I included by mistake. Uhm... ::)
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2012, 10:23:40 PM »
Hi Pat - I am not complaining - they both are fantastic. But it is a bit of a puzzle.

Maybe Paul was right afterall!

Cheers, Marcus

arillady

« Reply #44 on: October 08, 2012, 07:51:23 AM »
Marcus it is Rebekah of Aram OGB-  (E. S. Fankhauser, R. 1989).  Sdlg. ABM 21-67-19.  AB, 15” (38 cm), E.  Light yellow; deep brown signal; yellow beard.  Green Spot X Imam Salah.  Tempo Two, 1989/1990.  [APTT] 

I tried to attach the photo without success but I do have it flowering now too.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal