We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus November 2012  (Read 33870 times)

JimF

Re: Crocus November 2012
« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2012, 09:31:29 PM »
Some crocus straddling the months

Crocus longiflorus

Crocus medius 'Millesimo' thanks to Dirk S.

Crocus niveus 'White Form'

Crocus robertianus - from a local croconut. The flower on the left is nearly twice the size of the others which vary in size and color. I've selected out "pink" forms but they are really lavender as Janis says.

Crocus speciosus ssp speciosus each flower from a different bulb bought from a large grower as anothes subspecies or clone. When I contacted him, he said he contracts out to other growers for many crocus so doesn't get to see them in bloom! At least is a lovely species. From now on I'll be looking for clones and ssp. from the smaller growers who know their stock.

Jim

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #136 on: November 10, 2012, 09:41:20 PM »
I would be interested to hear the evidence of virusing.

I've had two batches of medius (ligusticus), first many years ago from Van Tubergen's in Holland and much more recently from my man in Tasmania. Both have apparently healthy foliage but the flowers are streaked - not heavily to my mind, with a darker shade of the same colour, which I take to be the evidence of virus infection. I do keep both away from other crocuses and have not seen a similar symptom elsewhere. If it is a virus it does not seem to affect the vigour of the corms which continue to grow and increase.

A few years back TH sent me some seed of wild collected medius but unlike all his other seeds, it didn't germinate.  :(
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Gerry Webster

« Reply #137 on: November 11, 2012, 09:28:32 AM »
Lesley - David's comment related to C. cartwightianus albus hort.

Most (or all) Dutch stocks of C. ligusticus have been virused for years but are sent out regardless. Dirk's plant,  'Millesimo',  (posted above by Jim F) seems virus free. It appears very similar to the commercial stock, including the poorly developed anthers.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2012, 09:40:31 AM »
Gerry,
i harvested the seed about 15 years ago. At that time was cartwrightianus 'Albus' hort. my first winter-green Crocus.
I cannot exclude a hybrid in general, but it is not very probable.

Thanks Dirk.
Looking at pictures of C. cartwrightianus 'albus'hort. on the internet, there seem to be two distinct forms: one resembles C. hadriaticus, with short style branches, & the other has longer style branches which (sometimes) divide high up. I would guess that the first may be the plant collected by Oliver Wyatt to which BM refers & the second may be a hybrid with C. cartwrightianus. I would further guess that this may have arisen in cultivation since, as far as I am aware, the two species are not sympatric.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #139 on: November 11, 2012, 09:48:09 AM »
Dirk - another question.  Do you know the origin of your C. ligusticus 'Millesimo' ?

Gerry Webster

« Reply #140 on: November 11, 2012, 04:00:06 PM »
Crocus laevigatus

Originally from Ronald Ginns via Ray Cobb, David Stephens & Alan Edwards   

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
« Reply #141 on: November 11, 2012, 04:28:24 PM »
Dirk - another question.  Do you know the origin of your C. ligusticus 'Millesimo' ?
Gerry, my Crocus medius 'Millesimo' is from P.C. Nijssen in the year 2005.

Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

Gerry Webster

« Reply #142 on: November 11, 2012, 04:50:45 PM »
Thanks Dirk.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #143 on: November 11, 2012, 04:54:26 PM »
Crocus robertianus Unidentified species

A form of unknown provenance.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2012, 09:52:09 AM by Gerry Webster »

ArnoldT

« Reply #144 on: November 11, 2012, 05:14:28 PM »
Here's two more photos of the Crocus cartwrightianus albus taken earlier today.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Gerry Webster

« Reply #145 on: November 11, 2012, 05:20:16 PM »
Crocus cartwrightianus

Ex CEH613; my own seed sown 1.10.09.
Most of the seedlings are various shades of lilac-purple, this is the only white one.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #146 on: November 11, 2012, 05:43:31 PM »
Gerry,
congratulation! Very lovely form 8) :o

Resembles C. cartwrightianus x hadriaticus 'Purple Heart'.
Best wishes
Armin

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #147 on: November 11, 2012, 06:10:42 PM »
Crocus goulimyi closed yesterday and opened today.

Crocus medius (clean)

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #148 on: November 11, 2012, 06:56:56 PM »
Crocus robertianus

A form of unknown provenance.

I don’t find this species easy to grow. It seems to do better kept all the year round in an open sand plunge.
Gerry - lovely crocus but ?robertianus,  All the forms I have grown have a very pronounced yellow throat ala sieberi which it often resembles (although with longer floral tube,  Here is one from this week

Gerry Webster

« Reply #149 on: November 11, 2012, 07:49:42 PM »
Gerry - lovely crocus but ?robertianus,  All the forms I have grown have a very pronounced yellow throat ala sieberi which it often resembles (although with longer floral tube,  Here is one from this week

Tony  - I grovel! I must confess I had not looked closely at this plant which came from Pottertons a couple of years ago. Looking at a photo of a plant grown from JJA seed (which is not flowering this year), the throat is certainly yellow. What could this be I wonder? Thanks for pointing  out my error.

edit: I wonder about a form of C. speciosus? -  a species I'm not familiar with.

edit 2: This is the real C. robertianus from JJA seed (flowering last year).
« Last Edit: November 11, 2012, 08:08:17 PM by Gerry Webster »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal