We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus November 2012  (Read 33818 times)

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
Re: Crocus November 2012
« Reply #195 on: November 19, 2012, 05:19:12 PM »
Dirk,
lovely C. hyemalis. I see your crocus beds are already well prepared for any black frost attacks. :)

Roma,
you can call you 'lucky' - I would be happy able to say my crocus pulchellus 'gradually taking over my garden'. Not a single one currently with me. :'(
How can crocus ever become a nuisance? ??? :o ;D

John,
indeed it is one of the most beautiful crocus we know in cultivation. 8) Hope it multiplies with you quickly.

Ian,
nice potful C. asumaniae 8) It is quite difficult to believe C. mathewii is so close related to be considered a form of C. asumaniae.

Does anybody know the latest phylogenetic research results on this?
Armin i just wonder if in the end there are a few sp flying under one banner just like they did for the Vernus complex.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Gerry Webster

« Reply #196 on: November 19, 2012, 06:09:36 PM »
Ian,
nice potful C. asumaniae 8) It is quite difficult to believe C. mathewii is so close related to be considered a form of C. asumaniae.

Armin - The most recent research I know (Peterson et al, 2008) shows Cc. asumaniae & mathewii
as sister (sibling) species.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Roma

« Reply #197 on: November 19, 2012, 08:15:23 PM »

Roma,
you can call you 'lucky' - I would be happy able to say my crocus pulchellus 'gradually taking over my garden'. Not a single one currently with me. :'(
How can crocus ever become a nuisance? ??? :o ;D

Wish I'd known earlier, Armin.  I sent quite a lot of Crocus pulchellus seed to the SRGCseed xchange and scattered the rest in the wood beside my garden.  Please remind me next year and I can send you lots of seed.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 10:01:25 PM by Maggi Young »
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #198 on: November 20, 2012, 02:35:15 PM »

Ian,

Armin thanks. Asumaniae I believe certainly grows with mathewii and the way to tell the difference is by the purple blotch ;) ::)

Here is my first flower on C caspius. This is a nice bonus since I have been trying for some years to germinate seeds from many sources and last summer  a kind forumist took pity on me and sent me this wonderful starter kit - thanks Ian

« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 05:11:49 PM by Maggi Young »
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #199 on: November 20, 2012, 09:59:18 PM »
Roma,
I'm glad for your kind offer. :-* I'd like to reseed C. pulchellus in the meadow.
I'll remind you next season.
Best wishes
Armin

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #200 on: November 20, 2012, 10:11:34 PM »
Reg. asumaniae & mathewii.

I believe your explanation of the diffence by color is too simple, Ian  :D

Dave, there is big difference in the chromosome number (2n=26 asumaniae, 2n=70 mathewii). I'm not aware of any successful crosses between both.
Don't think one can put it under one banner. And, I'm convinced there will be still future surprises in vernus complex.

Gerry, thanks - that's my status of knowledge too.
Best wishes
Armin

daveyp1970

« Reply #201 on: November 20, 2012, 10:55:37 PM »

I believe your explanation of the diffence by color is too simple, Ian  :D

Dave, there is big difference in the chromosome number (2n=26 asumaniae, 2n=70 mathewii). I'm not aware of any successful crosses between both.
Don't think one can put it under one banner. And, I'm convinced there will be still future surprises in vernus complex.

Gerry, thanks - that's my status of knowledge too.
Armin where did you get that info from because on the paper it has Mathewii 2n=16
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3221075/
and in my opinion i think its more allied to cartwrightianus but untill the dna mapping is finished we can all guess.
Armin i am intending to cross mathewii next year with all the close allied sp to see what happens.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 11:01:19 PM by daveyp1970 »
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

ronm

« Reply #202 on: November 21, 2012, 12:59:01 PM »

Dave, there is big difference in the chromosome number (2n=26 asumaniae, 2n=70 mathewii).

I'm sure I have read this somewhere also. Just can't find it at the moment.

daveyp1970

« Reply #203 on: November 21, 2012, 01:25:38 PM »
Armin i would also like to point you here as well as the person who wrote that mathewii has a chromosone count of 2n=70.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3221075/figure/F1/  I still do think they will be placed under one banner in the end but i am a lumper and this is only my opinion.I do respect your opinion Armin
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #204 on: November 21, 2012, 01:47:24 PM »
I'm sure I have read this somewhere also. Just can't find it at the moment.

My reference is the book 'Crocuses' from Janis. ???
It seems somewhere happend a typo. :-[
Best wishes
Armin

ronm

« Reply #205 on: November 21, 2012, 02:29:14 PM »
My reference is the book 'Crocuses' from Janis. ???
It seems somewhere happend a typo. :-[

I used that too Armin.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 02:42:50 PM by ronm »

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
« Reply #206 on: November 21, 2012, 02:48:18 PM »
I used that too Armin.

I gave it from FLORA OF TURKEY, vol. 11 - there is mentioned 2n - 70. I haven't possibilities to check chromosome numbers.
Janis
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
« Reply #207 on: November 21, 2012, 08:51:09 PM »
The most recent, not yet published phylogeny, places hadriaticus and mathewii as sister species. They list 2n=70 for mathewii and 2n=26 for asumaniae. They estimate that their are probably about 150 species in the genus.

Aaron
Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

ronm

« Reply #208 on: November 21, 2012, 09:05:25 PM »
The most recent, not yet published phylogeny, places hadriaticus and mathewii as sister species. They list 2n=70 for mathewii and 2n=26 for asumaniae. They estimate that their are probably about 150 species in the genus.

Aaron

OK .. Let us know please when they publish. Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 09:32:42 PM by ronm »

daveyp1970

« Reply #209 on: November 21, 2012, 09:49:39 PM »
Like i said in the beginning it's my opinion,the paper i have put a link is also backed up by a book written by Dr Moshe Negbi the links here  http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=uLSGgd9sEOUC&pg=PA16&lpg=PA16&dq=chromsone+count+of+crocus+mathewii&source=bl&ots=cAwKC6Hw72&sig=wO32PnjIGaUWgKyRCmdWpWCQq1c&hl=en&sa=X&ei=V0mtUOP4DquX0QW2iYHoAw&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=chromsone%20count%20of%20crocus%20mathewii&f=false  you can see here he states mathewii is 2n=16 and both are published  a few years old and shows hadriaticus as a sister sp but having the same chromosone count  which makes more  sense me(unless Aaron you are saying that chaps work is nonsense and the unpublished work is what i should believe and who do i believe were does the misinformation stop is misinformation being passed on and on because people can't be bothered to do the groundwork), as for the high chromosone count i will be crossing mathewii like i said next year so we will see.Can i just clarify Will a 2n=16 cross with a 2n=70
« Last Edit: November 21, 2012, 09:55:04 PM by daveyp1970 »
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal