We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Calochortus  (Read 4466 times)

Milan H.

• I am an enthusiast in hardy succulents, grow almos
    • Můj blog o mrazuvzdorných sukulentech
Calochortus
« on: November 25, 2012, 09:34:01 AM »
Good day. Going to sow seeds from 20 species of the genus Calochortus. I need advice on how to use the substrate. Colleagues from California recommend peat and compost substrates. I do not know whether this is appropriate in wet Europe. Consult please.
Your plants grow in zone 5 to 6, we have very cold winters and relatively humid, it's hard to stand here! :-)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Calochortus
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 11:44:56 AM »
Hi Milan and welcome to the Forum. I used to grow a few Calochortus and rapidly found out that my conditions were far too wet (that's WET!!!!!) for outdoor cultivation and tried some in the greenhouse. This were not particularly successful also, mainly I suppose that they didn't receive the attention they needed and I didn't have the space available to grow them well so gave them up.

This doesn't mean that you would not be successful but if you are going to try I would strongly advise you to get hold of a copy of "Calochortus: Mariposa Lilies and their Relatives" by Gerritson and Parsons, Timber Press 2007, freely available, and sometimes quite cheaply, from some of the internet bookshops. I would do this before you sow your seeds as some species, but by no means all, require stratification and there is a useful list in the book. They all require, I think, a free draining gritty compost with some humous and again the book provides details of a number of mixes used by American growers that can be adapted. I used my normal bulb mix of John Innes No. 2 with plenty of added grit and sand and this seemed to suit them in pot culture. If you can't get hold of the book let me know and I will scan copies of the pages concerned for you.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

PeterT

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 12:04:40 PM »
many need very deep pots, tulip  conditions for most, but it is a diverse genus.
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 12:22:24 PM »
I was told to hold water off them untill December then keep the compost slightly moist then  as the temp warms more water and feed.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

PeterT

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 01:17:57 PM »
I believe that may be good general advice Dave, but are there not some from Mexico, as well as the majority from California ?.... some are prairie plants, others are alpines. I advise checking which type of Calchortus you have Milan.
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 01:53:43 PM »
Hello Milan!

Try this page of the Pacific Bulb Society as a good source for Calochortus information :
http://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/Calochortus

And .....there are notes about the genus in the JJA Archive master seedlist, accessible from www.srgc.net   and this little pdf gives an overview :

* CALOCHORTUS.pdf (23.79 kB - downloaded 109 times.)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

wooden shoe

« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 09:04:50 PM »
Just like David I can only advise you to get hold of the book:
Calochortus: Mariposa Lilies and their Relatives by Mary E. Gerritsen, Ron Parsons
It is extensively and contains on the spot information about cultivation. I found Calochortus difficult and not really suited for outdoors cultivation in Western Europe. The hardy species usually need snowcover and cannot stand humid winters like in western Europe. Maybe in Czech it would be easier.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 09:16:50 PM by wooden shoe »
Rob - central Nederland Zone 7b

daveyp1970

• bulbs and corms you've got to love them.
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 10:26:56 PM »
I believe that may be good general advice Dave, but are there not some from Mexico, as well as the majority from California ?.... some are prairie plants, others are alpines. I advise checking which type of Calchortus you have Milan.
I agree with you 100% this was advice given to me a while back but as you say this is a wide variety of habitats this genus uses.
tuxford
Nottinghamshire

Ezeiza

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 02:28:38 AM »
Dry air conditions prevalent in California are misleading. I have seen growers in California using fine builder's sand in their mixes with success, something that would kill bulbs in other more humid parts of the world (MOST, that is). As mentioned, first you have to be certain if yours seeds are of winter or summer growing species. Those that are alpine will have to be grown much like tulips.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

arillady

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2012, 11:43:09 AM »
I too endorse the book Calochortus: Mariposa Lilies and their Relatives by Mary E. Gerritsen, Ron Parsons
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 01:25:39 PM »
I have a mystery Calochortus species grown from seed (label lost!) that seems to respond to water at any time of the year - I have never quite seen the likes of it before. I sowed seed, and subsequently treated it as an autumn / winter grower which seemed to suit it quite well, then I inadvertently flooded the pot in early summer and voila, up it came - two seasons in one year! The bulbs have just gone dormant again (yellowing leaves) and now I am dying to see if they respond to water in late autumn - I'll give them a few weeks of dry rest (and heat?) before trying again. Which species this is is a mystery to me and I'll just have to wait until it flowers for an identification (which should be soon now). It is certainly a tough enough plant as my warm climate doesn't really suit most Calochorti and I do not treat the bulbs in any special way - maybe it's not a Calochortus species after all...   ;)
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2013, 06:28:39 AM »
Any pics of the foliage, Rogan?
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2013, 09:06:19 AM »
I'll try to get a reasonable pic of the yellowing foliage this weekend, Fermi,  if that would be of any use - I'm looking forward to it flowering as a Calochortus species this easy to grow is certainly a worthwhile addition to the collection.
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 06:55:58 AM »
The Calochortus season has started again here in the Southern Hemisphere!
Calochortus catalinae in the shade-house
Calochortus superbus
Calochortus luteus x2
Calochortus splendens in bud
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 11:34:30 AM »
Super series, Fermi !!
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal