We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Calochortus  (Read 4465 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: Calochortus
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2013, 11:18:09 AM »
Hi Pat,
You should also have this one - Calochortus argillosus, which came into flower today during 30oC heat,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2013, 03:22:25 PM »
Looks like you have the ideal climate and conditions for Calochortus Fermi.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

arillady

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2013, 11:06:03 AM »
The yellow Calochortus and also spent pods of other Calochortus.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2013, 12:23:42 PM »
Looks like you have the ideal climate and conditions for Calochortus Fermi.
Yes, David, after many years I'm coming around to the belief that one should grow what suits the climate not just what you want to grow - except those that we have to keep in the Shade-house ;D

The yellow Calochortus and also spent pods of other Calochortus.
Hi Pat,
the empty pods in front look like tulipa, the thin ones which still have seed in them look like the calochorti,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

arillady

« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2013, 08:54:18 PM »
Like you Fermi I try to grow what will do well naturally or have some others in the shadehouse. Knowing which other species grow in association with plants that do well are always sought too. Yes tulips in the calochortus area too like you said Fermi.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2013, 11:19:46 PM »

It is encouraging to see interest in some of our California native Calochortus and other California bulbs. Here on our farm in the foothills of the Sierra Nevada Mountains we have devoted most of our land to the native flora and fauna. Calochortus superbus grows on our farm, as well as various Brodiaeas, Dichelostemma, and Triteleias. Unfortunately rampant development in our area has ravaged the habitat of C. luteus and the natural hybrids with C. superbus. There is considerable variation in C. superbus, white being the most common color. There are also yellow, lavender, and purplish forms. Thank you, everyone, for being willing to grow our natives where ever you might live.

The road crews removed our favorite clump of Erythronium multiscapoideum that grew near the road to market this past September. It is getting difficult to find them at the lower elevations now. Fortunately the are still millions growing in our isolated canyons farther up the mountain.

This is our third season of severe drought. We need rain!
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

arillady

« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2013, 11:30:27 PM »
Robert thanks for the information on the native habitats. It was during my trip to the USA in 2002 that I saw many American native plants while with US heritage rose friends - hence my desire to grow them. When I saw the first flower on a bulb grown from seed at home I knew that they might succeed here so I then started seeding out more species. I do love them.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Robert

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2013, 01:04:01 AM »

The post with photograph on Nov 12 appears to be C. venustus. Calochortus superbus almost always has a yellow ring around the glands near the base of the petals. Many hybridize freely both in the wild and in the garden, so ID is sometimes difficult. In our area the whole C. nudus / minimus complex is mess with so much hybridizing between the different populations. That's my best shot. I enjoy seeing the photographs.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2013, 09:24:43 PM »
Greetings Pat  I had to do some imaginative thinking to come up with some idea of your growing conditions in South Australia. South Australia must be as large and varied as California. Most of what I know about the region comes from an old National Geographic magazine about the Murray River and the terrible drought of the past. I think of your part of the world as being somewhat warmer than ours. Right now I can look out the window and see the last of the snow from the storm last Friday - Saturday. It will be gone soon. In the past two weeks we have gone from 15-20 C and no frost, to -6 to -8 C at night, 2-4 C during the day and some snow. Now it is back to 10 C during the day and the forecast is for warmer temperatures. Normally in these parts we get frost in late October. All of November was dry with record or near record warmth. Needless to say the plants are confused and stressed. Some of our seed pans of bulbs are germinating now, too early!
 I have to admit that my knowledge of plants, including Calochortus, is limited to those that grow in our area and plants I've grown over the past 40 years. I can always learn more. I'll sign off for now. My wife and I are leaving for a much needed vacation from the farm for a few weeks. The rest will be good.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2013, 10:04:31 PM »
Here's wishing you Happy Holidays, Robert - in every sense of those words  ;)

« Last Edit: December 11, 2013, 10:06:24 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal