We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: December 2012 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 5971 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: December 2012 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 08:20:39 PM »
Yes Tim, it is scented but to mind not a particularly pleasant one, nothing like P. reidii which I agree, is deliciously perfumed. Years ago when I had a hundred or more in my (previous) shade house, they scented the whole garden for a couple of weeks each early summer. I struggle with it now. My originals were also from Jack Drake seed. I daily thank heaven that Hokonui Alpines in the south of NZ are keeping these treasures going when so many other alpine nurseries have given up the ghost.

Mmmm... I don't think section Soldanelloidae would flourish in Ak Anthony. ::)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 08:52:36 PM »
I'm hoping Marcus or another Aussie in the know might be able to confirm that the seedling in the picture below IS Trochocarpa thymifolia. It was Marcus' seed, sown in June 2009 and had it not been that I noticed two seedlings yesterday which I hope are the real thing and not some previously unknown weed, it would have been one of many for the throw as I clean up various parts of the place. If it is, then I'll have to keep a number of others which would otherwise suffer a similar fate. Seems 3 and a half years is not too long to wait for such things.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

rob krejzl

• One-Eyed About Plants
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 10:15:35 PM »
Trochocarpa thymifolia

A tad small for a good ID.

thymifolia has leaves with stalks 1-2 mm long, blades 2-4 mm long, almost circular, slightly convex, with a blunt point.

Might be T. cunninghamii,  the leaves here are held in two alternate rows, arranged horizontally; narrow and oval-shaped but coming to a point and about 7-10 mm long.

Key for Trochocarpa: http://www.utas.edu.au/dicotkey/dicotkey/EPACRIDS/gTrochocarpa_1.htm
Southern Tasmania

USDA Zone 8/9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 12:21:57 AM »
Thanks Rob. I'm not good with keys so will probably go with thymifolia for now but always open to suggestion. ;D

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2012, 08:09:08 AM »

Mmmm... I don't think section Soldanelloidae would flourish in Ak Anthony. ::)
I found some of them difficult in Dunblane.  :-\
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Mini bulb lover

« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2012, 12:24:31 PM »
Some nice things flowering here, despite the heat.

Lewisia cotyledon seedling growing happily in my east facing rock wall, taken on a 35 degree (95 F) day (while some of my other plants were wilting).

Allium caeruleum.
Triteleia laxa "Rudy Kleiner", "Allure" and "For You".
Laurentia axillaris hybrid "Blue Star".

Laurentia axillaris (aka Isotoma) is native to eastern Australia, often found in damp crevices or in the shallow soils of rocky areas. They flower from spring up to the start of winter. Though perennial they're generally grown as annuals. They produce a mass of flowers over mounded foliage. Mine is just starting to flower now. It grows to 30cm. I took the photo on one of the rare rainy days here so far this summer (I hope there will be many more).

Searching on the internet it looks like Laurentia axillaris will be in the Trailfinders Australian Garden by Flemings at the RHS Chelsea Flower Show in 2013, so anyone planning to attend should look out for it. It also comes in shades of pink, mauve and white. Other species in the genus (Isotoma) are native to NZ, the West Indies and the Society Islands (according to Wikipedia!).

Jon Ballard
Eastern suburbs of Melbourne - Australia

Lover of small flowering bulbs.
"Good things come in small packages"

John Kitt

• The Spent Gardener
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2012, 11:00:53 PM »
Couple of Campanula flowering for the first time for me. From the 10/11 Seedx. I know they are probably fairly mundane but I do get a buzz in success from seed.

It would be nice for me too if some forumist saw these pics and recognised their "babies" growing well half a world away. Don't everybody rush to claim parentage!!

John

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 05:56:48 AM »
Jon, some nice trites there!
John  - that Camp. argyrotricha - looks nice - what I got under that name was tiny and weedy! But it was a few years ago, so perhaps they now have the correct plant - or at least one worth growing ;D
In the garden the liliums are making a bit of a show, here's Lilium 'Triumphator';
In case any hummingbirds venture into the garden (blown off course from South America?) Ipomopsis rubra will provide them with some sustenance! ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Mini bulb lover

« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2012, 12:54:58 PM »
Fermi, I assume that Lilium Triumphator has a nice fragrance? I have an oriental lilium cross flowering at the moment that has a fragrance very similar to murraya paniculata (and I really don't like the murraya paniculata frangrance!).

Below is another picture of Allium caeruleum but this flower head was more of a tight ball than the one I posted earlier. And after reviewing this photo I realised I captured an ant on it in the top left corner! I find it can be hard to capture the true blue colouring of this flower.

I meant to post the second picture earlier this month (it was taken on 6 Dec). Not the best photo or flower but peculiar because it's a scilla siberica flowering in summer! The strong sun has bleached the blue flowers. This was one I bought last year in flower. It didn't look like it was going to flower for me this year. The leaves appeared on time but no flowers until December. Other bulbs of scilla siberica that I purchased only this year have already flowered and died back. Very strange.
Jon Ballard
Eastern suburbs of Melbourne - Australia

Lover of small flowering bulbs.
"Good things come in small packages"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2012, 08:25:23 PM »
Both my Prim wollastonii are in full bloom now and though both thrum-eyed, I've tried pollinating each with the other, using a fine artist's paintbrush, trimmed down to just a couple of hairs. I think there's pollen moving about but then think it's just the farina. Time will tell. They are just gorgeous, whether they seed or not.

Two in flower now are the lovely but plaguey Tropaeolum ciliatum, and Rigidella orthantha. I know a couple of Forumists want seed of the Tropaeolum so if it is ready before we move (less than 8 weeks) I'll collect and send. The Rigidella is grown from seed donated to Otago AGG by the expert plantsman Stewart Preseton who lives just down the road. This is the first flower I've seen on it but there must have been another because already there is a little seed pod forming. I just noticed this one yesterday hiding in a tray which was overshadowed by a young Malus, also a seedling which I hope to move if possible because it is very beautiful in flower.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #25 on: December 27, 2012, 10:32:43 PM »
Rigidella orthantha ... never seen such a beautiful red tigridia before, Lesley! Thanks for showing  :D
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2012, 09:35:44 PM »
Like Tigridia, the flowers only last a day but what a day! There seem now to be two pods forming so if they mature Luit, you may like a little :) seed? Too early to tell yet but I'll keep in touch. In spite of a filthy, cold, wet spring and an almost as bad early summer, I've better seed on bulbs this year than for many years past.

angie

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2012, 10:13:05 PM »
Lesley your Rigedella orthantha is really lovely  8)

Angie  :)
Angie T.
....just outside Aberdeen in North East Scotland

John Kitt

• The Spent Gardener
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2012, 10:41:41 PM »
My R. Orthantha has flowered for the first time also.  I just love the intensity of the colour.

John

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2012, 10:46:27 PM »
Can you imagine how exciting and cheering that red  of Rigidella orthantha is here  to us in the soggy UK at this time of year?
A  real treat. How tall is the flowering stem and what size is the flower?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal