We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: January 2013 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 8883 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: January 2013 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2013, 06:57:07 AM »
Fermi I think you are right re Eremophila debile.
Thanks, Lesley, except I always make the mistake of saying debile when it should be debilis!
Flowering this week in the garden:
Allium sphaerocephalon - is that bee from NZ?
Nicotiana sylvestris - making a re-appearance after the parent plant died in 2003!
A lovely Aurelian Lilium - 'X-Phi' and close-up,
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 07:13:50 AM by fermides »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2013, 06:58:12 AM »
This is the 3 Chinese Pistachio bed where the liliums are making a brave stand against the heat!
cheers
fermi
« Last Edit: January 08, 2013, 07:16:41 AM by fermides »
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2013, 08:57:39 AM »
Oh yes, because of having been Myoporum debile. :)

Marcus, how tall does Richea scoparium grow please? Mine is now about 12 cms and very bushy but I have a potful of babies in urgent need of potting separately. It's a lovely thing as a small bush but hasn't flowered yet of course. Golly it's spikey though!
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2013, 08:32:48 PM »
Hi Lesley,

Richea scoparia can grow up to 2 metres high but usually it billows outwards rather than upwards at about 1 metre.

Yeah its not a plant that invites stroking. I could be wrong but I think the colour phases seem to a have a strong geographic determination. For example flowers on Mt Wellington are red while in the Central Plateau around Great Lake they are white to cream. The species relies heavily on a little lizard, the Snow Skink, which assists in pollination and seed dispersal.

Cheers, and a Happy New Year, Marcus

PS They are super slow!

John Kitt

• The Spent Gardener
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 10:04:47 PM »
Hi Marcus,

That was quite some snake.  Could this be the reason we can't find any foxes??!!

John

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #35 on: January 09, 2013, 09:34:27 PM »
Hi John,

Mmmmm ..... wow thats opening a can of worms. Maybe you could suggest to Fox Task Force that they look to recruiting killer snakes into their arsenal of tricks. Couldn't be any worse than baiting down at Howrah :P

Cheers, Marcus

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2013, 09:01:38 PM »
Anyone heard any news from any of our Australian friends? Hope they are OK, horrendous pictures on the news yesterday and today.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

John Kitt

• The Spent Gardener
« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2013, 09:40:57 PM »
After about 3 years in a pot my Blandfordia Punica is beginning to flower.

I wondering whether this is the normal behaviour for a "first flowering" plant or whether it needs a richer soil to send up the spike?

Any advice?

Cheers John

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2013, 09:43:20 PM »
I had a PM from Fermi just yesterday morning and he didn't mention fires or any problems with Aussie gardeners of our ken, so hopefully all is well. It seems the fire season, sometimes bad, is horrendous this year. We saw appalling pictures of burnt but live animals last night. Farmers have the soul-destroying task of putting them down, but I can't imagine the pain and horror experienced by the animals beforehand.

Canterbury too has been having bad fires over the last 48 hours with 4 houses razed at Prebbleton just south of Chch and at least 3 schools have been burnt, maybe deliberately in the South Island this week. A chicken farm near Prebbleton was also burnt and a nursery, according to this morning's news. I don't know which but Texture Plants, a fascinating place with super plants and great guys owning/running it, is very much in that area. I hope they are OK.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2013, 02:55:19 AM »
Hi David, there are currently hundreds of fires burning across Eastern Australia. Today there is a slight lull because winds have eased. Temperatures however remain ridiculously high on the mainland - I think Melbourne has a max of 37 degrees and its probably hotter in Adelaide. Winds are forecast to pick up over the weekend and the emergency conditions from earlier in the week are to return.  We need a decent rain or at least much more settled weather for things to return to manageable.

I think Otto (who is in a very fire-prone area) is OK as is Fermi. I think Pat is at the beach so can't be too bothered.

The trouble with fire is that it all can change very quickly especially when we have nutters out who are firebugs or just plain stupid. One of the large fires to the north of Hobart resulted from an unattended campfire - the person has been caught and charged. Over 25 unattended fires (people who can't put a campfire out correctly) were put out by emergency workers in the southern region of Gippsland in Victoria and that was on a A TOTAL FIREBAN DAY!

Where these people come from and how they have managed to get through life so far boggles the mind.

Hope that might give you a clearer picture?

Cheers, Marcus

arillady

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2013, 10:59:12 AM »
Back from the beach and on both feet now with no aids. It was so much cooler down there. Yes I have been watching the broadcasts on all the fires while at the beach. It has shattered so many people's lives over the last week or so.
Noticed lots of scorched rose leaves (from the fierceness of the sun) as we drove in this afternoon. Harry has valiantly watered my potted forest since I have been gone.
Now to organise myself for my flight to Hobart on Monday leaving Adelaide at 6am. Now where the heck is that usb that has all the files on it that I have to pass on. Most is on my laptop thank goodness but not all.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Hillview croconut

• Hillview Rare Plants
« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2013, 10:56:46 PM »
Hi John,

I think you are doing well getting your Xmas Bells to flower. Its another one that moves at glacial pace. Why not ask the folks up at the Tasmanian Plant nursery for advice. They also sell especially developed potting mix for difficult natives - they might even have fertilizer.

Cheers, Marcus

John Kitt

• The Spent Gardener
« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2013, 11:38:04 PM »
Thanks for that Marcus, I'll drop in on POTN and get some advice.

Since I wrote that post, the spike is gradually elongating so I guess all is well so far.

John

Natalia

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2013, 05:42:48 PM »
The last days have reported that in Australia and Tasmania forest fires and the terrible heat. Colleagues, worried about you!
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 07:13:23 PM by Natalia »
Natalia
Russia, Moscow region, zone 3
temperature:min -48C(1979);max +43(2010)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2013, 10:00:18 PM »
We've been following the bush fires on the news. There has even been some homes destroyed by bush fire in Christchurch, New Zealand, but our hot dry spell is nothing compared with Australia.

I picked up this unidentified Gladiolus yesterday.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal