We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus fly or something else?  (Read 2449 times)

Webster008

Narcissus fly or something else?
« on: January 02, 2013, 12:59:43 PM »
Did some careful digging around today and found out I have definitely lost Diggory,Lady Elphinstone,Ophelia and Spindlestone Surprise :-[. All I found were some empty husks. The bulbs had been completely hollowed out.

As I am relatively new to snowdrop growing I was wondering whether this was due to narcissus fly or something else.
Rick Webbink, Vroomshoop the Netherlands

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
Re: Narcissus fly or something else?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 01:12:34 PM »
Sometimes here also tiny slugs do the job
but most of the time here it is the Narcissus fly larvae
but if you dig them up now they should be in the bulb
or they where there last year
and the basal plate isn't dead

Roland
Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C  10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bulborum/

For other things see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pumpkins.Tomatoes.Sweet.and.mild.Peppers

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 01:26:23 PM »
Rick photos would help. If the bulb still looked fresh on the outside but was full of brown goo I would say Narcissus fly. If you wash this you will find the grub.

I dont think there is carefull digging around bulbs. Removing soil on top of OK. You dont want to break roots because they will not grow again until next autumn
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Anthonyh

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 03:54:48 PM »
It has been mentioned on the forum several times before... but if this is caused by Narcissus fly... you can sometimes salvage bits of the bulb and the basal plate, or what remains of it will form little bublets naturally... it's worth checking before giving up completely. I don't have much trouble with dreaded fly, but I've  managed this a couple of times, although only with Vallota speciosa after one of the blighters found its way into the greenhouse and with a daff.
A veg grower who's become increasingly distracted... especially with woodland plants and snowdrops!Worcestershire.

Webster008

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 08:20:07 PM »

I dont think there is carefull digging around bulbs. Removing soil on top of OK. You dont want to break roots because they will not grow again until next autumn
[/quote]

That's exactly what I did Mark, I carefully removed some top soil, but as there was no sign of growth I "dug" a little deeper.

Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures.

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 01:53:22 AM »
Rick - I know how distressing this can be especially when you have been so looking forward to seeing your rather expensive little treasures bloom.

For this reason I began growing my bulbs in lattice pots.  It does not stop it happening but it enables you to keep a check on the bulbs when they are dormant.  That said I am having lots of bulbs rotting in lattice pots this year with all the rain.  I now make cloches with net over them from old hanging baskets and place over my favourites as soon as they have finished flowering.  I secure the basket with a few metal pegs pushed into the ground.  In one sunnier area this is seeming to work.

I now intend to grow all my snowdrops under deciduous trees in my unprepared woodland area where Narcissus Fly are less likely to be active.  I am not saying they will not venture up there but am told they prefer to have a bit of sun on their backsides when egg laying  ???

Once you have bigger clumps of more vigorous spreaders the odd bulb goes un-noticed but I understand the disappointment when it is your only bulb.  Don't give up hope
Jennie
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 09:37:09 AM »
I now intend to grow all my snowdrops under deciduous trees in my unprepared woodland area where Narcissus Fly are less likely to be active. 

I have seen them in deep shade
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Webster008

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2013, 07:48:46 PM »
For this reason I began growing my bulbs in lattice pots.  It does not stop it happening but it enables you to keep a check on the bulbs when they are dormant.  That said I am having lots of bulbs rotting in lattice pots this year with all the rain.  I now make cloches with net over them from old hanging baskets and place over my favourites as soon as they have finished flowering.  I secure the basket with a few metal pegs pushed into the ground.  In one sunnier area this is seeming to work.

Jennie

Thanks for the advice Jennie. I think I will give cloches a try this year as well.

Rick

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2013, 02:44:26 PM »
Here they are again now. :( :( :(
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal