We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: South African Bulbs 2013  (Read 60666 times)

SJW

Re: South African Bulbs 2013
« Reply #225 on: July 02, 2013, 04:51:52 PM »
Another Albuca coming into flower - a slightly scrawny-looking Albuca nelsonii.

I know there's more than 100 species :) but anyone prepared to have a shot at identifying the plant in my previous post? A. setosa? longipes?
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #226 on: July 08, 2013, 08:38:01 AM »
First flowers (6-07-2013) on Hesperantha humilis from AGS Seedex 2007 - sown 11-06-2007, 1st seedling 6-06-2008!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #227 on: July 15, 2013, 07:40:01 PM »
Albuca species ex JCA 15058 from seed sown August 2008 and now a regular flowerer at this time of year.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #228 on: July 18, 2013, 08:49:57 PM »
Is this the proper time to sow Massonia seeds from the seedex?

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Peter Maguire

• Camera-toting Gadabout - and new Grandad!
« Reply #229 on: July 18, 2013, 09:43:05 PM »
I actually sowed mine today! I was following advice from Darren (Sleep) who gave a talk at our group last year on South African bulbs - his results speak for themselves.
I had been keeping my seeds in the refrigerator over the summer and by the time of his talk last September he thought I was too late, so should keep them in the refrigerator over the winter/spring and so them about.......now.

I hope I got that correct Darren  ;) , I should have taken written notes
Peter Maguire
Newcastle upon Tyne, U.K.

"I've killed so many plants. I walked into a nursery once and my face was on a wanted poster." - Rita Rudner

http://www.pmfoto.co.uk/

ArnoldT

« Reply #230 on: July 19, 2013, 10:19:31 PM »
A Eucomis with a long lost label.  Flowers in summer.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Darren

« Reply #231 on: July 21, 2013, 11:10:12 AM »
I actually sowed mine today! I was following advice from Darren (Sleep) who gave a talk at our group last year on South African bulbs - his results speak for themselves.
I had been keeping my seeds in the refrigerator over the summer and by the time of his talk last September he thought I was too late, so should keep them in the refrigerator over the winter/spring and so them about.......now.

I hope I got that correct Darren  ;) , I should have taken written notes

Should work fine Peter.

September would be OK actually, but not if the seed had spent summer in the fridge as most cape bulb seed needs a warm summer prior to first watering and cooler temps triggering germination in autumn.

Personally I store all my (winter growing) bulb seed at room temperature and only sow from late july until late september. Any bulb seed arriving outside this period stays at room temp until the following late summer/autumn. I've currently got a lot of seed purchased from Summerfield and Silverhill last winter which will be sown next month.

Exceptions to this timing are the Amaryllids with fleshy seeds which are sown immediately even if imported from the southern hemisphere in our early summer. The seed often germinates in the post and seedings need to be kept cool and will then stay in growth until the following April when they can be dried off and treated as normal for winter growers.

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #232 on: July 25, 2013, 02:10:03 AM »
Wonderful, thanks.  I must have followed Darren's advice as I had the seeds at room temperature with a note to sow in August.

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #233 on: July 27, 2013, 06:19:41 AM »
Gladiolus undulatus from Silverhill seeds in 2009.  Sown in May, germinated in July.

Grows outside and flowered for the first time at the beginning of July this year.

So nice to grow something that hasn't lost its label and matches the pictures in the books.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #234 on: July 27, 2013, 09:22:04 AM »
Well grown Diane, a lovely thing 8)
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Rogan

• Beetle daisy
« Reply #235 on: August 06, 2013, 10:48:20 AM »
In flower now: it has to be one of the most beautiful flowers around. I have been growing it for decades and still rank it amongst my most favorite - Babiana pygmaea.

This Lapeirousia spp. duo - L. silenoides and L. oreogena announce the approach of spring - loudly!

I also have a weird and wonderful little Romulea sp. in bloom: R. hantamensis; no picture yet as the ephemeral blooms close up before I can get the camera ready!   ;)

Spring? - we haven't had winter yet! - one of the warmest and driest on record, or so I think?
Rogan Roth, near Swellendam, Western Cape, SA
Warm temperate climate - zone 10-ish

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #236 on: August 06, 2013, 11:04:21 AM »
Great colours in the  Lapeirousia, Rogan - and I quite understand why that Babiana is your favourite - Ian and I both have a real passion for flowers that have that combination of white or cream with a blackcurrant throat - a perfect mix.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Darren

« Reply #237 on: August 06, 2013, 01:16:06 PM »
Really envious of those Lapeirousia Rogan!

They are absolute swines to grow here. The seed germinates OK but then the seedling bulbs tend towards semi-permanent dormancy. I suspect this is due to our low summer temperatures even under glass. I know some people in the south of England do grow them reasonably well but they have warmer summers and higher light intensity than we get here in the cloudy north-west!

But we have had a hot summer this year so maybe my dormant bulbs might wake up??

Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #238 on: August 06, 2013, 11:21:12 PM »
lovely Lapeirousia, I may give them a go. I think I did try one from seed but they dwindled to nothing. Maybe time for another go!
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #239 on: August 06, 2013, 11:29:32 PM »
Gladiolus oppositiflorus salmoneus -- this one is sort of hardy here.  Plant a lot of seedlings bulbs (bloom size) and a few will survive the first winter.  Over the first several years, the survivors will b loom.  Over the long haul they gradually disappear.  This one was lifted and potted before the final disappearance.  I'm rather attached to it now.

409758-0

Add another point in August's favor!

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal