We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: South African Bulbs 2013  (Read 61615 times)

Darren

Re: South African Bulbs 2013
« Reply #345 on: October 15, 2013, 08:14:27 AM »
Pontus:

I believe the "kirstenboch smike (smoke water) water" is a solution made from paper that has been impregnated with fumes from a fire.  The paper is place in water and the constituents from the smoke paper are transferred to the water.  Bulbs are watered with the  it and it  simulates the effects of fire in initiating flower product in bulbs.

Quite correct. You can buy the impregnated papers from Silverhill seeds at a reasonable price.

Alberto is also right - the bulbs need to be mature before you start to think about smoke treatment.
Darren Sleep. Nr Lancaster UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #346 on: October 15, 2013, 09:55:01 AM »
I need to pay more attention  -
I thought that the smoke method was only to help germination of seeds.....  :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ezeiza

« Reply #347 on: October 15, 2013, 11:51:51 AM »
It serves both purposes (and possibly others we are not aware of). Basically, the smoke indicates the plants and dormant seeds that the ground has been cleared and fertilized for further action. In years with no fires the ground is so choked with vegetation that it would be a great waste to flower and produce seed that would have no chance to germinate.
Alberto Castillo, in south America, near buenos Aires, Argentina.

Darren

« Reply #348 on: October 15, 2013, 03:34:33 PM »
The ecology of these triggering mechanisms is quite fascinating. It is also likely that, besides direct stimulation from chemicals in smoke there are other triggers resulting from fires such as:

Sudden release of a nutrient pulse from rain washing combustion products down into the soil - especially mobile nutrients such as N and K.

Changes in pH

Changes in temperature (either absolute or relationship between day/night temps) due to more sunlight hitting the ground during the day and/or colder nights due to less shelter allowing greater radiation of heat during the night.

Ezeiza

« Reply #349 on: October 15, 2013, 05:49:42 PM »
We once tried the smoke treatment on several Mexican Zephyranthes and they responded by flowering sucesively for an abnormally long time. But, there were no flowers for the three following years from them after that.

ArnoldT

« Reply #350 on: October 15, 2013, 06:37:05 PM »
Darren:

I'm with you.  I think these triggering mechanisms are also fascinating.

I have a copy of The Physiology of Flower Bulbs, by Hertough and Le Nard.

The are a number of references in the book. 

1. Freesias corms were released from dormancy using  smoldering rice hulls.  Trigger was believed to be either ethylene or CO2.
Treating Freesia corms with 1ppm of ethylene for 6 hours  was significant to break dormancy. The discovery of smoke on initiating flower bulb growth is listed at 1916 by Molish.

2.N. tazetta's were flowered using "burning over" with smoke of ethylene treatments. Wolfe and Horton 1958.

3. Dipping in solutions ethylene chlorhydrin was also used.

Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #351 on: October 15, 2013, 07:13:45 PM »
If ethylene is beneficial in this way, who has tried  keeping bulbs and/or seed in close proximity with ripening bananas ??
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #352 on: October 15, 2013, 08:16:35 PM »
How about leaving a banana skin on top of newly potted bulbs?
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Darren

« Reply #353 on: October 16, 2013, 08:24:09 AM »
If ethylene is beneficial in this way, who has tried  keeping bulbs and/or seed in close proximity with ripening bananas ??

This trick has been used for quite a while by growers of native terrestrial orchids in Australia. Some Caladenia and related genera are especially stimulated by ethylene from bushfires. The growers place the dormant tubers in a bag with a banana skin for a period of up to 3 weeks (changing the banana skin every few days before it gets really disgusting!).

I've never tried this as I don't grow any affected species, though I do grow Microtis unifolia which apparently does not need fire stimulation to flower but certainly is boosted by it. My plants rarely flower so I may give it a go next summer. Will need to volunteer Susan as banana-eater as I don't actually like them  ;)

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #354 on: October 16, 2013, 02:37:25 PM »
A few years ago, someone reported isolating a compound from smoke that had activity with plants.  This was an organic molecule larger than ethylene.  This might be what is in the smoke paper.  Ethylene is a very volatile gas and would not be retained at all by paper, not even by very absorbent paper.  I do not usually think of ethylene as a growth stimulant.  It is more likely to cause wilting of flowers or transition of a growing plant into a dormant state rather than to stimulate a dormant plant.  It ought to be pretty easy to test ethylene's action on dormant bulbs in a greenhouse.  I would be very interested in hearing what the results are.

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #355 on: October 16, 2013, 03:08:43 PM »
I'd agree about ethylene being too volatile Jim. 
According to Wikipedia a class of furanone/pyranone derivatives called karrikins are responsible (cyanohydrins too), but I haven't delved into the literature.
This article is quite interesting as a lead-in.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 04:53:45 PM by ashley »
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

SJW

« Reply #356 on: October 27, 2013, 12:38:33 AM »
Grateful if someone could confirm whether this is Polyxena (Lachenalia) ensifolia...
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

ArnoldT

« Reply #357 on: October 27, 2013, 01:05:15 AM »
Steve:

Graham Duncan has it in his book, The Genus Lachenalia as Lachenalia ensifolia.

I couldn't begin to explain why.
Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

SJW

« Reply #358 on: October 27, 2013, 11:45:52 AM »
Steve:
Graham Duncan has it in his book, The Genus Lachenalia as Lachenalia ensifolia.

Thanks, Arnold. I'm not too familiar with Polyxena so thought I'd check. The PBS website images usually helps with ID but on the Polyxena page I just got confused with the differences between ensifolia and pygmaea! A kind forumist let me have a bulb of the latter :) and that is in bud so I'll be able to compare the two in a few days.
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

Ezeiza

« Reply #359 on: October 27, 2013, 12:07:14 PM »
Ethylen triggers the flowering in bromeliads. The classic method is to put the potted plant in a plastic bag with a rotting apple for a day or so and this seems to be enough.

Jim is right about it stimulating dormancy in bulbs. Ethylen from drying leaves stimulate the bulb to go dormant.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal