We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pleione 2013  (Read 65788 times)

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
Re: Pleione 2013
« Reply #330 on: November 25, 2013, 06:09:30 PM »
Very lovely, well done.

Here is one I saw at Ian Butterfield's a couple of weeks ago. According to Ian, it's Pln praecox f alba.

The single bulb had two stems, each with two flowers. The picture quality is not great, but bearing in mind that the camera fell off the tripod half way through, I am not too disappointed.
Maren in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom - Zone 8

http://www.heritageorchids.co.uk/

karel_t

• Pleione Wizard's Apprentice
    • The Czech Pleione Website
« Reply #331 on: November 25, 2013, 06:40:13 PM »
Nice pictures Maren. Thanks for sharing. Ian has always some ace up his sleeve  :D
K.
Prague, Czech Republic
www.pleione.cz

KBruyninckx

« Reply #332 on: November 25, 2013, 07:58:58 PM »
Maren,

Nice pictures.
Now, would this plant really qualify as an alba form?

If you compare it to Pleione formosana would it not rather be a semi-alba?
A true alba would have to be white and yellow on the lip or am I incorrect, like the clone that Christopher Bailes once collected for Kew in Nepal in 1984 (Pleione praecox alba 'Everest').
Just like the Pleione formosana clone 'Clare' is a true alba and 'Cairngorm' a semi-alba...

Incidently, does anyone know if the Pleione praecox alba clone collected in '84 has survived in cultivation?

kind regards,
Kenneth.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 09:00:52 PM by KBruyninckx »

goofy

« Reply #333 on: November 26, 2013, 10:08:14 AM »
Very lovely, well done.

Here is one I saw at Ian Butterfield's a couple of weeks ago. According to Ian, it's Pln praecox f alba.

The single bulb had two stems, each with two flowers. The picture quality is not great, but bearing in mind that the camera fell off the tripod half way through, I am not too disappointed.

hello Maren,

indeed nice color form, but I have some doubts, that this really is an alba form,
because "normally" one would understand "alba" as having no pink/rose/purple color,
only "yellow" can be.

I think its a "white petaled cultivar" and selected from  "reichenbachiana".
the "typical lip coloration" you can also see in my cultivar above.

you can see what I think is true praecox alba cultivar on karel_t website :-))

(BTW a cultivar like that was on ebay short time ago and was also offered as "alba form")

cheers

karel_t

• Pleione Wizard's Apprentice
    • The Czech Pleione Website
« Reply #334 on: November 26, 2013, 12:36:41 PM »
goofy, sorry but the white P. praecox on my website is not true Alba form. This clone is white just in first half of inflorescence stage and than finishes the flowering, it turns the colour of petals to slightly pink (something like P. Krakatoa 'Wheatear' changes the colour from yellow to dark pink). The lip has also several pale pink blotches.
K.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 12:41:08 PM by karel_t »
Prague, Czech Republic
www.pleione.cz

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #335 on: November 26, 2013, 02:28:02 PM »
Hi, I'm not sure about the 'proper' name for this plant. Here is the label that came with the bulb when it was given to Ian. It even has a collection reference, but we don't know what it stands for. He told me that he doesn't query a label, so that's fine for me also. :) :) :)

KBruyninckx

« Reply #336 on: November 26, 2013, 07:15:45 PM »
Maren,

Thank you for the extra information, I'm sure we can conclude that it is indeed a semi-alba and not a true alba (as is/was the 'Everest' clone collected back in 1984 in Nepal for Kew by Christopher Bailes).
Nevertheless, a nice and interesting plant that could perhaps expand the colour range of autumn/winter flowering hybrids!

kind regards,
Kenneth.

Tomas

« Reply #337 on: November 26, 2013, 09:18:46 PM »
Hi, I'm not sure about the 'proper' name for this plant. Here is the label that came with the bulb when it was given to Ian. It even has a collection reference, but we don't know what it stands for. He told me that he doesn't query a label, so that's fine for me also. :) :) :)
"BSWJ 5150-5310   Bleddyn & Sue Wynn-Jones 1st expedition to Thailand 1997" - is it possible?
source: http://www.crug-farm.co.uk/plant_hunting-3.aspx

Tom

Nova

• Formerly known as Khadija
« Reply #338 on: November 27, 2013, 12:57:33 AM »
Very nice indeed!
On the other side of the spectrum there's eyecatcher Pleione Wharfedale 'Pine Warbler' with it's vivid colours.
Orchids are like accessories, a woman can never have enough...

goofy

« Reply #339 on: November 27, 2013, 08:45:32 AM »
"BSWJ 5150-5310   Bleddyn & Sue Wynn-Jones 1st expedition to Thailand 1997" - is it possible?
source: http://www.crug-farm.co.uk/plant_hunting-3.aspx

Tom

hello,
interesting idea.
so I talked this morning to the "Crug" people.

the lady on the phone told me,
that their collection numbers always begin with "BS" instead of "BC"
and they do not collect orchids.

so it must be "somebody else" ............................

cheers

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #340 on: November 27, 2013, 11:11:24 AM »
Hi,

I notice that Gartenwerkschaft Schreiner sells these for 79 euros. - By the way, I'm not their agent. ;) ;) ;)
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 11:20:37 AM by Maren »

gregork

« Reply #341 on: November 27, 2013, 02:11:08 PM »
Nice web site Maren.
I also noticed that they are beeing sold at http://rareplants.co.uk fir a price of 80 pounds (rather expensive) But what i dont like is that they have the same picture.
I dont know is it so difficult to make the pictures of actual plant you are selling? hmmmm.... What is your opinion about that?

Regards
Gregor
Ljubljana, Slovenia - Zone 7

Maren

• Maren & Pln Tongariro
    • Heritage Orchids
« Reply #342 on: November 27, 2013, 10:00:15 PM »
Regarding plant pictures, I find on occasion that people steal my pictures (use without my permission). When I notice it, I ask them to remove the picture from their website, and most of the time I get an apology.

It can be very tempting to use someone else's picture if one doesn't have one. If I find myself in that situation, I contact the owner and ask permission. And when I get it, people usually don't say no, then I make sure I put a credit on the picture to make it clear that it isn't mine and that I asked to use it.

We can all get along very nicely if we show a little respect to others. :) :) :)

goofy

« Reply #343 on: November 28, 2013, 07:57:44 AM »
Nice web site Maren.
I also noticed that they are beeing sold at http://rareplants.co.uk fir a price of 80 pounds (rather expensive) But what i dont like is that they have the same picture.
I dont know is it so difficult to make the pictures of actual plant you are selling? hmmmm.... What is your opinion about that?

Regards
Gregor

hello,
the answer is very easy in this case.

the owner of the pics is "Schreiner" nursery,
they are "wholesaler" and "retailer" :)

and they sell their plants -mainly Cypripediums and Pleiones- NOT ONLY to private persons,
but also to "resellers" worldwide, who then naturally are allowed to use the pictures.

so you find the same pictures also from other sellers, like "P.C."

cheers

gregork

« Reply #344 on: November 28, 2013, 02:44:22 PM »
Maren I agree with you 100%.  ;)

And Goofy... that makes sence. but it is sometimes very difficult to know who is the owner of the photos because it is not written on it.

The other thing i always worry is the colours... sometimes it can be very tempting, the colours are perfect... but is it pristine? is it the real colour or some photoshop picture? It is kind of sad to order something, you expect to be the perfect colour combination and then you get something completely different.  :-\
Ljubljana, Slovenia - Zone 7

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal