We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Pleione 2013  (Read 65784 times)

goofy

Re: Pleione 2013
« Reply #345 on: November 28, 2013, 03:06:46 PM »
Maren I agree with you 100%.  ;)

And Goofy... that makes sence. but it is sometimes very difficult to know who is the owner of the photos because it is not written on it.

The other thing i always worry is the colours... sometimes it can be very tempting, the colours are perfect... but is it pristine? is it the real colour or some photoshop picture? It is kind of sad to order something, you expect to be the perfect colour combination and then you get something completely different.  :-\

thats life............

:)

gregork

« Reply #346 on: November 28, 2013, 03:09:07 PM »
haha yes indeed :D
life oh life....  ;D
Ljubljana, Slovenia - Zone 7

KBruyninckx

« Reply #347 on: November 28, 2013, 08:36:50 PM »
The other thing i always worry is the colours... sometimes it can be very tempting, the colours are perfect... but is it pristine? is it the real colour or some photoshop picture? It is kind of sad to order something, you expect to be the perfect colour combination and then you get something completely different.  :-\

Well, that is where the word "trust" comes in :)

For sure the plant you actually buy would/could be slightly different, why:

• because the plant you bought may not be a 'division' from that very same clone they took the picture of
  • because if they are not clones you will always have some variation in the seedlings
  • because their camera may not perfectly render the actual colour with every picture taken (see the colour difference on the lip in Marens pictures)
  • because your computer screen may not be calibrated 'correctly' so that it does not render the colours as they should have been

too many variables ;D

+ ...a lot will also depend on you culture & conditions!
Did the plant suffer from a sudden heatwave (which has an influence on colours)?
Was it 'too dark' during development of the flowers (again the dreaded influence on colour)?
Which potting mixture do you use?
Which type of water?
Do you give fertilizer or not? And if you do.. which fertilizer! (yes, growers do from time to time notice a difference in colour depending on the brand they use...)

even more variables  ;D ;D
« Last Edit: November 28, 2013, 08:43:55 PM by KBruyninckx »

JPB

• My plants
« Reply #348 on: November 29, 2013, 12:38:16 PM »
Thanks for the nice pictures showing the variation in P. praecox :)

Below two of my P. praecox clones. They are in reality more "red"/less "blue" but I make copies of the photos with the colour correction for my archive. Also the second clone shown gets darker once the flowers age...

Also, the second clone has three callus ridges while IMO the flower form and colour are rather a normal praecox than reichenbachiana-like... puzzling ???

« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 12:41:21 PM by JPB »
NE part of The Netherlands. Hardiness zone 7/8

gregork

« Reply #349 on: November 29, 2013, 02:45:49 PM »
KBruyninckx I totally agree with you!

I have to say. If i choose to buy a plant from a nursery there is not much else to do than trust them completely. And i do trust them.

I know that the flower can't be exactly the same as in the photo for multiple reasons you just pointed out, but what does bother me is photoshoped pictures. I rather see lower quality picture and when the plant blooms it looks even better, then vice versa- the picture is perfect and the flower is a dissapointment. it's no problem with the slight differences but with the big differences ;)

What i wanted to say is, that i like pictures of flowers from the actual plant that is offered. And i see more and more people do that.  :)
Ljubljana, Slovenia - Zone 7

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #350 on: November 30, 2013, 11:32:46 AM »
Pleione maculata in flower now
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #351 on: November 30, 2013, 01:33:02 PM »
Beautiful, Tony !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

erf

• PleioneWorld
« Reply #352 on: December 04, 2013, 03:51:48 PM »
This might have been discussed earlier on. The pleione grandiflora 'pink' must be the same as pleione xbarbarae. Am I right?
Regards Erling
cbc35863586
For Pleione pictures, have a look at https://www.facebook.com/PleioneWorld
or find me at www.pleioneworld.dk

Slug Killer

• Koolplants
« Reply #353 on: December 04, 2013, 06:52:36 PM »
This might have been discussed earlier on. The pleione grandiflora 'pink' must be the same as pleione xbarbarae. Am I right?
Regards Erling
This is copied directly from Paul Cumbletons website:-

P. x barbarae : Cribb applies "x barbarae" to plants which were previously thought to be pink variants of P. grandiflora and so were often referred to as "pink grandiflora". Recent DNA analyses seem to confirm these plants are hybrids, with true (white) P. grandiflora as one parent and P. bulbocodioides (or a similar species) as the other. The variability and vigour of these plants suggest that they are from a hybrid swarm with both F1 and backcrosses among them. Torelli's view at present is that he is unsure whether these plants and "x barbarae" (as described originally by a botanist called Braem) are the same thing. On his website he still has these plants as pink forms of P. grandiflora.

Graham Catlow

« Reply #354 on: December 04, 2013, 07:27:10 PM »
This is copied directly from Paul Cumbletons website:-

P. x barbarae : Cribb applies "x barbarae" to plants which were previously thought to be pink variants of P. grandiflora and so were often referred to as "pink grandiflora". Recent DNA analyses seem to confirm these plants are hybrids, with true (white) P. grandiflora as one parent and P. bulbocodioides (or a similar species) as the other. The variability and vigour of these plants suggest that they are from a hybrid swarm with both F1 and backcrosses among them. Torelli's view at present is that he is unsure whether these plants and "x barbarae" (as described originally by a botanist called Braem) are the same thing. On his website he still has these plants as pink forms of P. grandiflora.

I have been wondering the same thing recently and had read the above information on Pauls website. I wonder though if there is an update to this as its a few years old now. Can someone confirm one way or the other? I have both P x barbarae and grandiflora 'Pink'. The latter which I bought without any knowledge of what it was or might be. I now have a large amount of both!! which I could mix if they are the same thing.
Bo'ness. Scotland

erf

• PleioneWorld
« Reply #355 on: December 04, 2013, 09:49:41 PM »
Thank you fore clearing this up David . For me it is clear that the xbarbarae and grandiflora .'pink' must be the same. Not that I will mix the bulbs, since xbarbarae comes in many different clones, where of some are quite beutifull. Maybe one should make a collection off different xbarbarae clones.
cbc35863586
For Pleione pictures, have a look at https://www.facebook.com/PleioneWorld
or find me at www.pleioneworld.dk

KBruyninckx

« Reply #356 on: December 06, 2013, 10:50:24 AM »
Maybe one should make a collection off different xbarbarae clones.

One should indeed(!) and then post pictures for all to enjoy :)
Which is in fact what I tell myself each year: that I should photograph every plant in the collection (not just the Pleiones), ah well the road to hell is paved with good intentions...

Graham Catlow

« Reply #357 on: December 06, 2013, 04:22:27 PM »
Maybe one should make a collection off different xbarbarae clones.

I have done this with my x taliensis and now have three seperated clones, so I will begin to do this with the x barbarae and 'Pink' grandiflora next year. I don't know why I didn't think of it for these. ???
Bo'ness. Scotland

Tamar

« Reply #358 on: December 09, 2013, 07:25:58 PM »
Hello everybody !

@KBruyninckx, thanks for clarify that why color of the new bought flowers is different than flowers grown in our conditions. That explains a lot, but still in my opinion one of the important thing is seller's honesty.  :)

@JPB, congratulations nice clones of Pleione praecox. Especially I like the second one. I suppose that intense color of both clones results from fact that flowers are fully mature. For me, flowers always at the beginning of growth are bright, and then darken as it ages.
I like Pleione praecox because they gladly grow and bloom, and they have fragrant flowers. Below is a photo of flowers my two clones of Pleione praecox.
By the way, in the next image you could see my another autumn Pleione Wharfedale 'Pine Warbler'. It is a pity that theirs flowers do not smell. 

Regards,
Tamar

Tamar

« Reply #359 on: December 09, 2013, 07:29:16 PM »
And concerning Pleione x barbarae I agree that some forms of this cross have interesting flowers. During the various shopping I have amassed a small collection of Pleione x barbarae by accident. Here are photos of them flowers. As a curiosity I give the name of the species which I have bought :
1 - Pln forrestii Vietnam
2 - Pln aurita
3 & 4 - Pln grandiflora
5 - Pln grandiflora 'Pink'

Regards  :)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal