We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2013  (Read 76428 times)

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
Re: Cyclamen 2013
« Reply #525 on: December 15, 2013, 09:00:50 PM »
Thanks Kris and Steve, both are ex CSE 93073. (not sure where this collection was)
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #526 on: December 15, 2013, 09:24:24 PM »
Hans, you may find the following link of interest:-

http://www.cyclamen.org/cse_set.html
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Naoto The Zombie

« Reply #527 on: December 16, 2013, 08:14:11 PM »
Hello gang of SRGC!

I picked up this C. coum "Ashwood Snowflake" last winter and it looks very similar to C.coum CSE88397 - does anyone know if I could recognise this as white versio nof CSE88397 or are they completely different varieties?  ??? Thanks!
Contains 10% urea

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #528 on: December 16, 2013, 08:37:33 PM »
C. coum "Ashwood Snowflake"  has been on my wishlist since Diane showed it a couple of years ago :
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=4752.msg137735#msg137735

Seeing your beautiful neat plant I am again convinced of its charm.  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

SJW

« Reply #529 on: December 17, 2013, 02:06:02 AM »
I picked up this C. coum "Ashwood Snowflake" last winter and it looks very similar to C.coum CSE88397 - does anyone know if I could recognise this as white versio nof CSE88397 or are they completely different varieties?  ??? Thanks!

Naoto - lovely foliage on your 'Ashwood Snowflake'. Those early Cyclamen Society expeditions introduced some really good leaf forms of C. coum including 88397 but, 25 years down the line and countless generations later, I'm not sure that any plant now really qualifies as eg ex 88397 - the parent plants are long gone, I think. And didn't one of the BSBE collected plants (from 1963!) also have a silver leaf with a dark christmas tree pattern? Snowflake is an Ashwood's selection and, as they grow most of the cyclamen species and varieties that are available, including those other coum whites - 'Golan Heights' and 'George Bisson' - who knows which plants were used in the breeding programme? But I suspect there's some cse plant genes in the mix! One of the West Midlands forumists more familiar with Ashwood's cyclamen breeding work may be able to comment further.
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

SJW

« Reply #530 on: December 17, 2013, 02:16:10 AM »
And as many forumists will know, CSE 90417 is the parent plant of C. coum 'Golan Heights'.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #531 on: December 17, 2013, 09:55:11 AM »
...... didn't one of the BSBE collected plants (from 1963!) also have a silver leaf with a dark christmas tree pattern?........

Steve - yes it did. I still grow  a plant  obtained years ago from Peter as BSBE 518. The flowers are quite dark magenta. Self-sown seedlings from this are very variable & include pure silver leaf plants. 'Ashwood Snowflake' has very attractive leaves but in my experience this leaf form is not particularly unusual; I presume the name refers to the  colour of the flowers.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Naoto The Zombie

« Reply #532 on: December 17, 2013, 12:28:04 PM »
@SJW-san
Thank you for your information - it really helps. So far "A.Snowflake" is my favourite coum (so far!) and I'd like to create a carpet of this in the raised bed in my garden someday.

@Mr. Webster
I think you're right - the leaves look nice but not so unusal, and what's more, the flowers weren't pure albissimum - I put it "between white and blushed pink". Let's see how it will look next year (there's no sign of flowers at all right now..... :'( )

By the way, is there anyone who could tell me where I can purchase mirablie Tilebarn Ann? I've been looking for it but no success, and my seedlings (which I got from the CS show last year) look very sad (only 4 out of 10 seedlings have been surviving), so I may have to give up......
Contains 10% urea

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #533 on: December 17, 2013, 04:14:02 PM »
This self-seeded Cyclamen coum is growing under a Malus. No idea where the parent plant came from, but the leaves look similar to those discussed above.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

SJW

« Reply #534 on: December 17, 2013, 05:02:58 PM »
By the way, is there anyone who could tell me where I can purchase mirablie Tilebarn Ann? I've been looking for it but no success, and my seedlings (which I got from the CS show last year) look very sad (only 4 out of 10 seedlings have been surviving), so I may have to give up......

Green Ice Nursery has 'Tilebarn Anne' listed on their website. You mentioned in an earlier post that you'd spoken to Jan B at the Wisley autumn cyclamen show. He normally attends the late Spring cyclamen show at Wisley and if you contacted him he could probably bring one over for you to pick up on the day. I've found the quickest way to get 'Tilebarn Anne' from seed is to sow a packet labelled as 'Tilebarn Nicholas' ;) The pewter leaf mirabile photo in your post about the Wisley show in October is one of my plants and that came from a packet of 'Tilebarn Nicholas' seed - they seem to pop up quite often (I think Peter Moore developed 'Tilebarn Anne' from 'Tilebarn Nicholas'?). Not that I label my plant as 'Tilebarn Anne'... 

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #535 on: December 17, 2013, 06:20:29 PM »
Nice coum leaves

Cyclamen x wellensiekii from society seed
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Naoto The Zombie

« Reply #536 on: December 17, 2013, 07:31:13 PM »
Green Ice Nursery has 'Tilebarn Anne' listed on their website
<---snip!---->

Yeah, I noticed that.....the problem is that I am going back to Japan next month and will come back to the UK on 7th Feb - the day before the early spring show at Wisley so that I may not be able to make it (I'm sure I'd be very knackered after 12-hour flight). I kind of expected Ashwood would have some, but they've been sold-out over the last two years or so..... :'(

Talking of seedlings, this is the result of mirabile "Tilebarn Nicholas"

419508-0

I purchased the seeds at the CE autumn show last year - 10 seeds in the bag and they all germinated but two died later.

419510-1

One of them is really pinky and the colour still stays even after 3 weeks - perhaps I should cherish this one the most.

Contains 10% urea

SJW

« Reply #537 on: December 18, 2013, 12:27:39 AM »
Naoto - I don't think Jan comes to the February (winter) show, but he's usually at the Spring show, which next year is on 29 March.

Roma

« Reply #538 on: December 19, 2013, 09:33:59 PM »
Cyclamen elegans
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Naoto The Zombie

« Reply #539 on: December 20, 2013, 10:37:03 AM »
@master SJW
Thank you for your reply - that's really helpful! I'll skip the early show and will go to the late spring show, then.

P.S. Nice elegans @ Roma!
Contains 10% urea

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal