We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2013  (Read 76488 times)

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
Re: Cyclamen 2013
« Reply #45 on: February 21, 2013, 01:30:02 PM »
....i have been trying to grow it for the last 12 years, probably sown hundreds of seeds, but they never mature due to the dry, hot conditions.
But out of these hundreds, a single seedling has adapted to these conditions and is thriving in the garden in hot backing sun and so probably this has been the same process with the above.

Friends and I have found this also to be true with some borderline 'hardy' palms.
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #46 on: February 21, 2013, 05:20:53 PM »
This coum is from the south most population of the species, located in the Upper Galilee region.
The wild population  counts less then 80 plants.
I have been growing it for the last 8 years and have already quite a number.
It is important first in order  to keep a stock in case this population would extinct, second reason is the potential of this form as it is the only one mange to coop with high temperatures.
In the wild it grows side by side with C. persicum.

That's really interesting! What's about Cyclamen coum album 'Golan Heights'? Is its provenance more southern than the place where your red specimen originated?
I never tested the hardyness of 'Golan Heights' - is there any experience from northern growers?

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2013, 06:01:38 PM »
This coum is from the south most population of the species, located in the Upper Galilee region.
The wild population  counts less then 80 plants.
I have been growing it for the last 8 years and have already quite a number.
It is important first in order  to keep a stock in case this population would extinct, second reason is the potential of this form as it is the only one mange to coop with high temperatures.
In the wild it grows side by side with C. persicum.

Fascinating Oron!
Had only one C.coum which survived the hot conditions here (seeds were collected  in southern turkey near Yayladagi in 1996 )- only one of several plants survived in my hot and dry conditions. Of this some seedlings appeared  last year and are still alive.
Another I am trying here because of the southern origin is C. coum 'Golan Heights'.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Diane Clement

• the people's Pepys
  • gone to seed
    • AGS Midland Garden Blog
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2013, 06:18:21 PM »
That's really interesting! What's about Cyclamen coum album 'Golan Heights'? Is its provenance more southern than the place where your red specimen originated?
I never tested the hardyness of 'Golan Heights' - is there any experience from northern growers?

Sadly, I have lost C coum 'Golan Heights' several times through the winter, always in a pot plunged in sand in a frame.  I've never tried it in the open garden, but I think it might stand a better chance.
Diane Clement, Wolverhampton, UK
Director, AGS Seed Exchange

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2013, 07:02:29 PM »
"The word on the street" (though one wonders what street that might be) is that it's a pretty weak grower anyway. I lost mine after a year or so and the Golan Heights from the Cyclamen Society so far have turned out to be normal coum.
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #50 on: February 21, 2013, 07:10:27 PM »
Wow, a BED of Cyclamen africanum. I'm struggling with a couple of seedlings in a pot on the kitchen window sill!

Oh, and I've lost C. coum 'Golan Heights' in the garden.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #51 on: February 21, 2013, 07:16:12 PM »
"The word on the street" (though one wonders what street that might be) is that it's a pretty weak grower anyway. I lost mine after a year or so and the Golan Heights from the Cyclamen Society so far have turned out to be normal coum.
Quite a few forumists have reported  here over the years that they've lost  Cyclamen 'Golan Heights'
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:42:11 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
« Reply #52 on: February 21, 2013, 10:05:50 PM »

It looks as mine set seeds Mark
just help me remember this summer
and I send you seeds if you are still interested

Roland
Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C  10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bulborum/

For other things see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pumpkins.Tomatoes.Sweet.and.mild.Peppers

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2013, 04:23:17 PM »

Well, i always suggests to grow it in the same way you would grow C. rholfsianum or C. graecum!
Coum 'Golan Heights' comes from the Northern part of the Golan, growing on basaltic soil, mainly at the base of Oak trees, less in the open area.
Conditions are very hard as in winter the area is damp and cold with some days of snow each year and temperatures that drop easily to -5. While in summer the area is completely dry for almost 7 month! with not even one drop of rain and temperatures that rise to 35c.
There for the southern populations of the species are growing very differently from the northern ones. You should stop watering it in early March and 'bake' it till November.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2013, 08:46:46 PM by Oron Peri »
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2013, 04:30:43 PM »
Gerd

Gerd,
The south most population is about 70km SW of the one in the Golan heights and at a lower elevation, in very different conditions which is an exposed, windy, rocky area.
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2013, 05:40:06 PM »
Roland, thanks for the offer  :)

Oron, thanks for the habitat information and tip.
Oxford, UK

bulborum

• Botanical bulbofiel
    • Facebook Forum
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2013, 05:56:37 PM »
I just had a look
There are four seed-pods
so help me remember in June

R

Zone <8   -7°C _ -12°C  10 F to +20 F
RGB or RBGG means:
We collect mother plants or seeds ourself in the nature and multiply them later on the nursery

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bulborum/

For other things see:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/Pumpkins.Tomatoes.Sweet.and.mild.Peppers

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2013, 07:32:19 PM »
Thank you alltogether for the information concerning the 'Golan' Cyclamen.
My plants - from Jan Bravenboer origin - although of a little bit dwarf appearance
do well and flower regularly (kept frost free).

Gerd

p.s.
Cyclamen coum (album) Lake Effekt seems to be the best totally white here
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #58 on: February 25, 2013, 06:18:34 PM »
Some other coums.

I found what appears to be C. coum Tilebarn Graham in my frame which i thought I'd lost years ago. I think it just didn't flower because these don't look like seedlings. Hope to get it into better condition - bit scrappy at the moment.

Also I found what I think I grew from AGS seed as "Macka". Anyone know anything about it and does this look like "Macka"?

Finally just a nice one I found, quite likely a self sown seedling.

Oxford, UK

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #59 on: February 25, 2013, 06:33:19 PM »
Also I found what I think I grew from AGS seed as "Macka". Anyone know anything about it and does this look like "Macka"?
Is this any help?  http://www.cyclamen.org/RegisterPage17.html

And  Ruby Baker wrote :" Cyclamen coum 'Macka' hailed from N.E.Turkey in the 1960s and has small but bright flowers in abundance, the leaves are silvery with darkly green centres."
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 06:38:10 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal