We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2013  (Read 76534 times)

SJW

Re: Cyclamen 2013
« Reply #135 on: May 09, 2013, 05:13:20 PM »
There are two flowers on persicum in the background, four out of six survived the big freeze of 2010 but are still not performing well

Hi Roma, I have the same problem although of those that survived some have recovered more quickly than others. The plants from Rhodes (ex CSE) fared the worst and are still sulking a bit. My plant ex Israel - progeny of one of the high altitude CSE plants - is definitely the toughest and copes with the cold conditions better than the others.

Incidentally, I think I read on an earlier Cyclamen thread that some of the C rohlfsianum you grow are progeny of the Cruikshank Botanic Gardens plants collected in the 1950s. Do they have much variation or are they all fairly standard? I ask because I have a few grown from CBG seed (CS seed distribution - perhaps you were the donor!) and it would be interesting to see any photos you may have so I can compare :)...
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #136 on: May 11, 2013, 07:30:42 PM »
Here are some repandums flowering in Tuscany last week. We saw large numbers in lovely woodland. The photos never do the plants justice
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #137 on: May 11, 2013, 08:24:18 PM »
very nice. I have one in a trough but it's not flowered for years.
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

Roma

« Reply #138 on: May 11, 2013, 09:45:16 PM »
Hi Steve
My Cyclamen persicum are also from seed from a CSE Israeli plant.

There are two collected Cyclamen rohlfsianum plants at the Cruickshank Botanic Gardens and two of their offspring (at least there were when I retired :-X).  i did send seed to the Cyclamen Society one year when we had a good crop.  I'm glad to hear someone is still growing plants from that seed.  I do not think I have any digital pics of the original plants.  They are a bit different in flower and leaf.  I used to have four, two from each parent but lost one to vine weevil when it was left in the greenhouse too long after a visit to the SRGC Discussion weekend.  They normally live on an upstairs bedroom windowsill.  i don't seem to have pics of the leaves.  Must remedy that this year ;D.  The following were taken in 2011 and show one plant has flowers darker than the other two.  Is there variation in your C. rohlfsianums?     
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Roma

« Reply #139 on: May 11, 2013, 09:51:53 PM »
Ian, Mark, I planted a few Cyclamen repandum close to a plant of Actaea simplex about two years ago.  Last year I had a few leaves and one flower.  This year I have a few leaves and one flower and as the Actaea is spreading and is growing fast I am not going to see the cyclamen too well :-\.

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #140 on: May 12, 2013, 09:10:38 AM »
Mark Roma I have some little plants outside and some self sown seedlings which have a couple of flowers. I hope that by continuing to sow a proportion of seed in the open I will eventually get a tougher strain. The repandum types to my eye are some of the most elegant of the family
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #141 on: May 12, 2013, 11:58:16 AM »
Mine got there by accident so it's in the wrong place. By accident the troughs also got C.intaminatum (the plain leaved white form) which has prospered and also the C.pelops that I manged to dig up and put elsewhere in the garden.

I actually have a pelops in the lawn too.
Oxford, UK

SJW

« Reply #142 on: May 12, 2013, 02:24:00 PM »

There are two collected Cyclamen rohlfsianum plants at the Cruickshank Botanic Gardens and two of their offspring... I did send seed to the Cyclamen Society one year when we had a good crop.  I'm glad to hear someone is still growing plants from that seed...They normally live on an upstairs bedroom windowsill... Is there variation in your C. rohlfsianums?     

Roma, thanks for showing pics of your flowering rohlfsianum. If I get any to flower this year I'll be interested to see how they compare. I confess that my plants have been a bit neglected - they really do need to be repotted this summer. I, too, grow them on a bedroom windowsill and I'm sure they'd be happier and flower better if I moved them to the greenhouse for most of the year, only bringing them indoors for the worst of the winter. There's some variation - a couple have good leaf markings and one has darker, roundish leaves ('cabbagey'). They've all gone over apart from a few lingering leaves on two of the plants. Photos below. I find rohlfsianum go dormant quite early if I don't watch the watering as the temperature starts to rise in the Spring. Cheers, Steve

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #143 on: May 12, 2013, 07:42:17 PM »
A pic of a rather nice form of C.balearicum.

On the subject of persicum a number of mine did poorly this year but I've just noticed that one that lost all it's leaves is now starting to sprout again.

Oxford, UK

SJW

« Reply #144 on: May 13, 2013, 07:21:50 PM »
A pic of a rather nice form of C.balearicum.

That's a good leaf-form, Mark.

C. purpurascens - first flower of the season (in the greenhouse).

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #145 on: June 15, 2013, 11:07:33 PM »
My thousand posting must be in the Cyclamen topic ...... ;D
Stil in flower .........never been so late in flower ......
Cyclamen rhodium ssp. peloponnesiacum
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #146 on: June 15, 2013, 11:51:27 PM »
very nice. I noticed today I still have C.creticum out. One lone flower but I'm sure it's lasted weeks now.
Oxford, UK

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #147 on: June 16, 2013, 09:50:34 AM »
very nice. I noticed today I still have C.creticum out. One lone flower but I'm sure it's lasted weeks now.

Strange season Mark , I also have one creticum in flower ....
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

Roma

« Reply #148 on: June 16, 2013, 01:58:13 PM »
Congratulations on your 1000th posting, Kris :)
I still have flowers on Cyclamen rhodium ssp. peleponnesiacum too, though the plants are suffering from the heat in my greenhouse.  The first flowers are opening on Cyclamen purpurascens

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #149 on: June 16, 2013, 02:25:58 PM »
I've just noticed buds on one of my purpurascens.

It somehow got a buddy which is a very dark C.coum - any suggestions when I might be able to seperate them? Usually I repot C. purpurascens in March, coum over the summer. And they are very close buddies - I think I'll need to wash the soil off and try and untangle - I don't really want to lose either plant, any suggestions?
Oxford, UK

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal