We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2013  (Read 76580 times)

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
Re: Cyclamen 2013
« Reply #225 on: September 17, 2013, 09:32:11 PM »
 Some unusual flowers on this C. hederifolium . This happens each 2 or 3 years with this plant
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #226 on: September 18, 2013, 01:51:22 PM »
Kris  - I just longs to be a snowdrop.  ;)

johnw
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #227 on: September 18, 2013, 03:14:50 PM »
 ;D ;D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #228 on: September 18, 2013, 07:11:55 PM »
Kris  - I just longs to be a snowdrop.  ;)
johnw

I dared not to say John ....... ;)  Don't want to chock the galanthophiles with something that looks even better  ;D ;D ;D
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

Roma

« Reply #229 on: September 18, 2013, 08:44:58 PM »
Cyclamen hederifolium still doing well
One of my favourite potted Cyclamen hederifolium - I like the elegant shape of the flowers
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Roma

« Reply #230 on: September 18, 2013, 08:47:02 PM »
Cyclamen rohlfsianum on an upstairs bedroom windowsill

Roma

« Reply #231 on: September 18, 2013, 08:48:41 PM »
Cyclamen mirabile keeps getting better
An odd flower
Cyclamen graecum

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #232 on: September 18, 2013, 08:50:39 PM »
I'm always fascinated by the Cyclamen mirabile leaves !!  This is "Tilebarn Nicholas"

]413100-0
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #233 on: September 18, 2013, 11:09:09 PM »
Lovely rolfsianum Roma. I used to have problems getting them to flower at all - I think I'd under water and the buds would abort at this time of year - now I water more but often the leaves are over the flowers - do you have a way of geting around that?
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

Roma

« Reply #234 on: September 19, 2013, 11:00:19 AM »
Mark, I usually do not water till I see the first flowers appearing, then I water round the edge of the pot about once a week.  We do not use the upstairs rooms and the windowsills are filled with plants mainly succulents and orchids so there is a fair bit of neglect.  I find the C. rohlfsianum produces one lot of flowers then another lot with longer stems and the leaves come up with the second lot of flowers and soon overtop them.  The light is fairly good as the Velux windows are in the slope of the roof so the plants get light from the top and a good bit of sun at this time of year but none later when the sun gets lower in the sky. 

Pauli

« Reply #235 on: September 19, 2013, 05:49:38 PM »
Cyclamen graecum ssp. anatolicum near Kemer, pictured on last Monday. The first flowers in a sunburned landscape...
I have beeen told, that there was no rain since May!
September is a good month for a summer holiday in Turkey , but for flowers a month later would be better - my family did not listen to my arguments!
Herbert,
in Linz, Austria

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #236 on: September 19, 2013, 07:35:18 PM »
Roma, thanks for the advice. In theory I have enough tubers to try different techniques so I'll see if can go for something like youur watering regieme.

Herbert, nice pics. In Greece I found some plants with leaves but they were in ditches or culverts 9is that the right word?)
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #237 on: September 20, 2013, 10:32:18 AM »
Herbert - It is arguable that C. graecum subsp. anatolicum does not exist. See the Cyclamen Society website:

http://www.cyclamen.org/graecum_set.html

I have three plants derived from seed collected on Monte Smith, Rhodes; although they have similar leaves the flowers are very different.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 10:34:03 AM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

SJW

« Reply #238 on: September 21, 2013, 01:04:02 AM »
Herbert - It is arguable that C. graecum subsp. anatolicum does not exist. See the Cyclamen Society website:

Gerry - as you're probably aware, the Cyclamen Society website is getting a little dated although I know there have been discussions about updating it. The new Cyclamen book (Genus Cyclamen in Science, Cultivation, Art and Culture) does recognise the three subspecies noting the distribution of subsp. anatolicum as southern and south-west Turkey in the provinces of Antalya, Mugla and Icel; Rhodes and possibly some of the other East Aegean islands; and northern Cyprus. It does point out that the distinguishing  flower and leaf characteristics listed in the Key to the subspecies are to some extent overlapping and that "knowledge of the origin is helpful when attempting to confirm the identity of a particular plant". I'll have to get my eye in and try to spot the different subspecies at the Cyclamen Society show this Sunday! I saw in a previous post that your graecum plants are well into flowering - mine are barely poking through the gravel. Although I don't plunge and I was a bit late giving them their first watering. Or perhaps it was the warm summer extending their usual dormancy?   
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

Gerry Webster

« Reply #239 on: September 21, 2013, 09:47:13 AM »
Many thanks Steve. As I noted I have 3 plants obtained as subsp. anatolicum ( 2 from Peter Moore & 1 from Pat Nichols) all supposedly from the same population in  Rhodes.  They are similar in leaf pattern - though not in colour - but differ markedly in flower shape. Hence my sceptical view of the supposed subspecies. How are they to be distinguished?
« Last Edit: September 21, 2013, 10:42:28 AM by Gerry Webster »
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal