We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2013  (Read 76542 times)

SJW

Re: Cyclamen 2013
« Reply #300 on: October 02, 2013, 12:45:23 AM »
Many thanks, all, for the kind comments.

David - I started exhibiting at Cyclamen Society shows about two years ago - a bit daunting to start with given the quality of the plants on the show benches; there's some very good growers in the Society! But it's good fun and I'm starting to have some success. In fact at the Birmingham show last week two of the purpurascens were winners in the large and small pot foliage classes (photo 1 and photo 6 respectively) with the larger plant of the two also taking best foliage plant in the show. It's the Wisley autumn show soon and looking forward to seeing the graecums in all their glory. As an aside, it's frustrating to see that this show clashes with the Ponteland show, and next year the Cyclamen spring show clashes with Hexham!   
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

SJW

« Reply #301 on: October 02, 2013, 12:56:51 AM »
Here's Cyclamen cyprium (ex 'ES') from seed (kindly sent to me by Tony Willis in 2009) sown October 2009 and flowering for the first time. I don't have 'ES' proper so can't say how close mine is to the original. Maybe others have it. Lovely scented form too.

David - here's one, also from 'ES' seed. On mine, I don't think there's enough, attractive silvery markings for it to qualify as 'ES'. Perhaps 'ES'-ish (and that's not easy to say after a couple of glasses)...

SJW

« Reply #302 on: October 02, 2013, 01:20:29 AM »
Having said I'm looking forward to seeing the graecums at the Wisley autumn show, mine are quite late this year. Photo 1 is the earliest plant to flower. Photo 2 is more indicative of how far advanced most of them are. Although it's all academic in terms of the Wisley show - there's always some seriously large and floriferous graecums on the show bench so I won't be troubling the judges in those classes!

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #303 on: October 05, 2013, 07:34:16 PM »
Couldn't resist a photo of some of my  seedlings in the frame. There are cilicium, cilicium album, intaminatum pink and white,hederifolium, confusum and the odd graecum flower

Also intaminatum in the garden
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #304 on: October 05, 2013, 07:52:23 PM »
nice intaminatum Ian. It's amazing how different pink cyclamen look when there is no nose blotch
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #305 on: October 05, 2013, 08:34:02 PM »
nice intaminatum Ian. It's amazing how different pink cyclamen look when there is no nose blotch

Thanks Mark I'm  surprised how well it's doing in he garden.

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #306 on: October 05, 2013, 08:49:26 PM »
I suspect as long as it is one of the more robust forms intaminuatum is as easy as C.cilicium outside. It's steadily increased and seeded in a trough here for 20 or so years. I posted pics a few pages back.
Oxford, UK

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #307 on: October 05, 2013, 09:48:04 PM »
Fabulous Cyclamen everyone

My lost label is C. cilicium but haven't noticed any scent. This is the leaf
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #308 on: October 05, 2013, 11:39:54 PM »
Wow, so many great plants! I love autumn. :)

Here some pics from the garden.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #309 on: October 05, 2013, 11:54:11 PM »
Hans, lovely to see these growing in the open ground, especially the rohlfsianum
Oxford, UK

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #310 on: October 06, 2013, 12:10:05 AM »
Hans, lovely to see these growing in the open ground, especially the rohlfsianum

I agree and I think that I definitely need some tuition in flowering rohlfsianum - not a single flower this year

SJW

« Reply #311 on: October 06, 2013, 01:04:28 AM »
I agree and I think that I definitely need some tuition in flowering rohlfsianum - not a single flower this year

Ian - that's normally the case for me, too, but I've got quite a few flowers on mine this year. I normally grow them on an east-facing windowsill (which probably doesn't help!); the difference this year is that they were all repotted into slightly larger pots and moved into a sunny spot in the greenhouse over the summer so perhaps that's why they've repaid me with more flowers? I think I'll bring them back indoors over winter, though...

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #312 on: October 06, 2013, 03:39:14 PM »
I keep mine in the greenhouse all year round but I try to keep the greenhouse above 5C (not that I think I always suceed). I find that plants are very individual, some seem to mark time and not flower, others grow rapidly. I don't find much variation in the seedlings from a pod so I think it's a question of finding a strain that works for you.

This relatively light green leaved one is one I find most vigorous here.

Oxford, UK

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
« Reply #313 on: October 06, 2013, 05:16:52 PM »
Steve and Mark thanks the recipe I have been given is to give them a hot and dry summer under glass  and water  in mid August so I will give it a try
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 05:18:31 PM by ian mcenery »

SJW

« Reply #314 on: October 07, 2013, 12:39:21 AM »
Hi Steve...There are two collected Cyclamen rohlfsianum plants at the Cruickshank Botanic Gardens and two of their offspring... I'm glad to hear someone is still growing plants from that seed... Is there variation in your C. rohlfsianums?     

Hi Roma - now that they're flowering, here's a couple of shots of some of my rohlfsianums - all progeny of the Cruickshank plants apart from the darker-flowered one at the bottom right. They're doing all right for me this year...so far.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal