We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2013  (Read 77184 times)

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
Re: Cyclamen 2013
« Reply #345 on: October 16, 2013, 10:15:57 AM »
I had a lovely day at the Cyclamen Society show at Wisley last Saturday. Saw some forum galanthus friends and some keen cyclamen friends  :D

There were some great dark purple flowered hederifolium and coum plants both on the showbench and for sale although you had to be quick for the darkest colours didn't you John  ;)

I said I'd post a photo for Melvin of his Trophy winning C. rholfsianum, but I did also say I'd go back and take a better picture that was in focus.  Silly me I forgot so here is a slightly off shot of it

I'll resize a few more pics and post again later.

Naoto The Zombie

« Reply #346 on: October 16, 2013, 11:50:46 AM »
Hello! :) I've just become a member of SRGC forum - nice to meet you guys! I'm originally from Japan, but I've been living in the UK for 20 years now.
I also went to the CS autumn show at Wisley last Saturday and it was fantastic! Here are some pictures I took on that day (sorry - this is cross-posting at Grows On You)

The last one was my favourite on that day - it was CSE hederifolium, but the colour was very close to red. I asked Mr.Bravenboer of Green Ice Nursery if the plant's available in the market. He told me that it was a seedling from seeds which were collected from somewhere Turkey (or Cyprus? - sorry I forget) and not available commercially......

Contains 10% urea

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #347 on: October 16, 2013, 12:24:56 PM »
Welcome Naoto - thanks for these photos - some really special plants on show there.

Jo,  the foliage on Melvyn's C. rohlfsianum is fantastic .
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Jo

• Cherubeer Gardens, Devon
« Reply #348 on: October 16, 2013, 06:17:37 PM »
Hi Naoto,  I must have seen you at the show.  Great pictures, I was using a small digital camera and being used to an SLR I'm afraid my pictures are very poor.

I don't know what I was thinking this morning talking about Cyclamen coum.  They aren't in season, but I did by seed from Jan B. of C coum, silver leaf + extreme dark purple flower that must have been on my mind  :D 

Here are a few more cyclamen pics. The first is a rholfsianum here which has enormous leaves but very few flowers so I guess doesn't get enough light.  Then a really beautifully marked C mirabile, I seem to remember it being a Cyc. Soc. expedition collection seedling. I've never seen a leaf like it.

The red hederifolium is so unlike all other reds that it really stands out though I'm not sure that it is actually a nice colour.  Then the intaminatum had really big flowers almost like a cilicium, nice  :)   And finally a great graecum,  loads of flowers and beautiful flowers.

Roma

« Reply #349 on: October 16, 2013, 10:20:50 PM »
Some lovely plants at the Cyclamen Society Show.  Thank you Jo and Naoto for sharing them with us.  I'd like to get there one day.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Roma

« Reply #350 on: October 16, 2013, 10:23:29 PM »
My Cyclamen rohlfsianum get plenty of light in the summer and flower well but as the sun gets lower in the sky it does not strike the plants and the leaves get very leggy.

Roma

« Reply #351 on: October 16, 2013, 10:28:51 PM »
Some Cyclamen leaves

The first two are old Wye College small flowered persicum hybrids.  They both have white flowers.
The other three are Cyclamen colchicum.  I have 7 plants in 5 pots grown from Cyclamen Society seed in 2007 and 2009 

SJW

« Reply #352 on: October 17, 2013, 01:58:19 AM »
The last one was my favourite on that day - it was CSE hederifolium, but the colour was very close to red. I asked Mr.Bravenboer of Green Ice Nursery if the plant's available in the market. He told me that it was a seedling from seeds which were collected from somewhere Turkey (or Cyprus? - sorry I forget) and not available commercially......

Hi Naoto, welcome to the forum. I think this is probably a seedling from plants collected on the Cyclamen Society expedition to Corfu in 2007. Some of the plants collected had very distinctive red flowers. Seed is made available through the Cyclamen Society seed distribution although there wasn't any this year. I think I'd heard that these Corfiots are not proving to be the easiest hederifoliums to grow but I may be wrong. Melvyn or Pat Nicholls would have more info.
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

Naoto The Zombie

« Reply #353 on: October 17, 2013, 08:18:23 AM »
@Thank you for your comments! @Jo, @Maggi, @Roma  :)

@Jo - Yes. I think I was the only oriental there on that day so you must have seen me!  ;)
@SJW - Thank you for your info! Yes, That's the place Mr. Bravenboer told me! I hope I could have some seeds of it in the future!  :D

And here's my hederifolium "Dark Purple Form" I purchased at CS show in Wisley last year. When I was repotting this summer, I found two corms in the same post so it was lucky dip! Unfortunately these have been in sunny position too long so the colour became rather dark pink  :'(
Contains 10% urea

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #354 on: October 21, 2013, 08:49:18 AM »
Thanks for showing such superb Cyclamen Kris, Melvyn, Jo and Naoto!

Some pictures from the garden: Cyclamen persicum var. autumnale, Cyclamen rohlfsianum and a nice dark (still small) Cyclamen graecum ex Archibaldseed.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #355 on: October 21, 2013, 06:10:11 PM »
Hi Naoto, welcome to the forum. I think this is probably a seedling from plants collected on the Cyclamen Society expedition to Corfu in 2007. Some of the plants collected had very distinctive red flowers. Seed is made available through the Cyclamen Society seed distribution although there wasn't any this year. I think I'd heard that these Corfiots are not proving to be the easiest hederifoliums to grow but I may be wrong. Melvyn or Pat Nicholls would have more info.
The plant shown is actually one of the original plants collected in 2007 in corfu. The problem with them is they flower very late and it is hard to get them to set seed although I know of a few people have raised red seedlings when seed has been available. The plant holders are trying their best but it could be some time before they become as widespread as we would like.
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

SJW

« Reply #356 on: October 22, 2013, 12:27:57 AM »
The plant shown is actually one of the original plants collected in 2007 in corfu. The problem with them is they flower very late and it is hard to get them to set seed although I know of a few people have raised red seedlings when seed has been available. The plant holders are trying their best but it could be some time before they become as widespread as we would like.

Thanks for the additional info, Pat. Last year through the seed exchange I was lucky enough to get 5 seeds from one of the Corfu plants. Frustratingly, only one has germinated for me thus far, although I'm hoping the rest will pop up this autumn. Now there's the wait to see if the flowers have the same extraordinary red colour...

I'm already having problems with seed set. This mild, wet weather and the high humidity in the greenhouse - even with ventilation - is really starting to spoil the flowers on my plants and affecting pollination. I have to remove spent blooms daily to minimise the risk of botrytis setting in.
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #357 on: October 22, 2013, 09:33:34 AM »

Superb plant! Would be happy to help you to get more seeds....  ;)
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

Naoto The Zombie

« Reply #358 on: October 22, 2013, 02:56:59 PM »
@Hans A.
Thanks for your comment. I like your dark-pinkish graecum flower!

@cycnich, @SJW
Yeah, thanks for your info! Perhaps hederifolium "Ruby Glow (Strain)" or "Red Sky" could be good substitutes in the meantime? ??? ??? ???
Contains 10% urea

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #359 on: October 22, 2013, 05:52:51 PM »
Thanks for the additional info, Pat. Last year through the seed exchange I was lucky enough to get 5 seeds from one of the Corfu plants. Frustratingly, only one has germinated for me thus far, although I'm hoping the rest will pop up this autumn. Now there's the wait to see if the flowers have the same extraordinary red colour...

I'm already having problems with seed set. This mild, wet weather and the high humidity in the greenhouse - even with ventilation - is really starting to spoil the flowers on my plants and affecting pollination. I have to remove spent blooms daily to minimise the risk of botrytis setting in.
I too am living in hope,in spite of being there when we collected them and having the privilege to look after some of them I have yet to raise a red seedling I can call my own, at the moment I have 4 x 2yr old plants looking healthy and should flower next year and like you hoping at least one is red. So far this year the few flowers that have fallen off have gone floppy and will produce no seed so have been removed,I am hoping for a breezy sunny day when a few late insects are around when I am not at work to put them outside and let nature take its course, it is very frustrating.

Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal