We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2013  (Read 76519 times)

cycnich

• Mister 1000
Re: Cyclamen 2013
« Reply #360 on: October 22, 2013, 06:10:05 PM »
@Hans A.
Thanks for your comment. I like your dark-pinkish graecum flower!

@cycnich, @SJW
Yeah, thanks for your info! Perhaps hederifolium "Ruby Glow (Strain)" or "Red Sky" could be good substitutes in the meantime? ??? ??? ???
yes ruby glow,rossenteppich and Jans dark purple will produce some amazing coloured plants, not sure about red sky, I have tried for seed but with no success so far but all of these will key out to purple on the rhs colour chart and not red as the corfu plants did, but be patient it will happen.
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #361 on: October 22, 2013, 07:48:46 PM »
Nothing like as dark or bold as the hederifoliums we are discussing but I rather liked this africanum I got from Wisely. The other one is from Tilebarn, flowers tend to be a little floppy.

Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #362 on: October 22, 2013, 11:47:54 PM »
Some Cyclamen leaves
The first two are old Wye College small flowered persicum hybrids. 
Very beautiful foliage Roma.

Lovely africanums too Mark.  Exchange seed received as such 2-3 years ago has given me a very pleasing variety of both foliage and flowers.

Can someone please remind me how best to distinguish africanum from hederifolium (from hybrids), short of leaving them out in the cold?
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

SJW

« Reply #363 on: October 23, 2013, 01:07:53 AM »
Can someone please remind me how best to distinguish africanum from hederifolium (from hybrids), short of leaving them out in the cold?

Ashley, the standard differences are that africanum roots from all over the tuber while hederifolium roots from the sides and the top; africanum leaves are more like confusum ie thicker, larger; and africanum flowers arise straight up from the tuber whereas hederifolium tends to send them out sideways before growing up (elbowed). Whether the plants themselves remember to follow these 'rules' is a moot point! 
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

SJW

« Reply #364 on: October 23, 2013, 01:18:26 AM »
So far this year the few flowers that have fallen off have gone floppy and will produce no seed so have been removed,I am hoping for a breezy sunny day when a few late insects are around when I am not at work to put them outside and let nature take its course, it is very frustrating.

Yes, it's really frustrating when the flower falls off and the stem keels over and turns to mush. Anyway, we've all got our fingers crossed for you, Pat. No pressure, then! :)
And it could be worse. Imagine how the custodians of the somalense plants must feel...
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #365 on: October 23, 2013, 09:38:44 AM »
Many thanks Steve.  Having several differences to cross-check is more convincing when individual plants are 'indeterminate' by one criterion alone.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #366 on: October 23, 2013, 10:19:08 AM »
Years ago I was told (or read) that seed set on cyclamen could be improved by taking plants for a drive. I've never tried; do people still believe this?
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Naoto The Zombie

« Reply #367 on: October 23, 2013, 11:03:45 AM »
@Mark
Nice cyclamens!

Yes, it's really frustrating when the flower falls off and the stem keels over and turns to mush.

So I'm not the only one....... ???
Contains 10% urea

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #368 on: October 23, 2013, 11:19:47 AM »
Years ago I was told (or read) that seed set on cyclamen could be improved by taking plants for a drive. I've never tried; do people still believe this?

I do think that some gentle vibration to a plant pot can work wonders to achieve pollination in plants that are reluctant  to set seed. .........
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fenius

« Reply #369 on: October 23, 2013, 11:28:09 AM »
Beautiful photos everyone!!
I have these three cyclamens and I was hoping someone here could help identify them, two pink and one turned out white
416174-0
416176-1

ps, I see the logic in shaking them up a bit !! A drive is not like taking them dancing after all ;D

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #370 on: October 23, 2013, 01:32:06 PM »
I do think that some gentle vibration to a plant pot can work wonders to achieve pollination in plants that are reluctant  to set seed. .........

I'd agree Maggi.  For cyclamen grown under glass, lightly tapping the flower stems over several days works very well when insects are scarce.  The only exception I've found is C. mirabile under damp conditions such as we've had recently.  Perhaps coincidentally this species also seems the most susceptible to botrytis, making it essential to pick off fading blooms regularly. 

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #371 on: October 23, 2013, 01:41:39 PM »
I'd agree Maggi.  For cyclamen grown under glass, lightly tapping the flower stems over several days works very well when insects are scarce.  The only exception I've found is C. mirabile under damp conditions such as we've had recently.  Perhaps coincidentally this species also seems the most susceptible to botrytis, making it essential to pick off fading blooms regularly.

I have the same issue and always tap the flowers but I think the conditions do have to be right. If I see pollen falling on to the  leaves it can work but if not.............................. 

Confusum and has almost been impossible this year in pots but we shall see how it fairs in the garden. Success  has also varied from plant to plant in other species ???
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #372 on: October 23, 2013, 01:42:03 PM »
Fenius, they look like C.hederifolium to me but not the usual form, could be ssp crassense perhaps? Are they scented? Where did you get them from?
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #373 on: October 23, 2013, 02:33:00 PM »

A drive in the country is probably less likely to spread disease than my pollination technique -- tapping the flowers from below with a finger.  My method, however, can be used to cross two or more separate individuals.  Just be sure to wash your fingers well before starting and avoid tapping any sick flowers.

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

Gerry Webster

« Reply #374 on: October 23, 2013, 04:03:00 PM »
I have the same issue and always tap the flowers but I think the conditions do have to be right. If I see pollen falling on to the  leaves it can work but if not.............................. 

Tapping never works here - even when pollen is falling. Hence my question.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal