We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2013  (Read 76502 times)

Naoto The Zombie

Re: Cyclamen 2013
« Reply #465 on: November 14, 2013, 08:25:34 AM »
Thank you @SJW, @Maggi and @cycnich!  :)

Though it may be still legal I don't feel right, so I will be more careful next time!
Contains 10% urea

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #466 on: November 15, 2013, 07:50:12 PM »
Cyclamen graecum anatolicum

There has been some discussion on the forum on how this should be distinguished from other forms of C. graecum. Tony Willis suggested (privately) to me that in this form growth occurs all over the top of the tuber rather than just from the centre; this is consistent with my own observations of the 3 plants I have under this name. I have also noticed that the flowers on these plants mostly tend to droop & then shrivel while remaining attached to the scape rather than falling away cleanly as mostly happens in other forms of graecum. Has anyone else noticed this?

Interesting. Is the Monte Smith form of graecum anatolicum? I have a plant raised from CS seed (so it may not be true) that has growth points all over it.
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #467 on: November 15, 2013, 07:53:55 PM »
 On the dried collected tubers - I thought that some cyclamen were now being grown in fields (presumably from seed) and then harvested and imported as dried tubers. I think I've seen some packs that made some statement about not being wild collected although they look the same as the infamous woolworth's packs of days gone by.

and of course they still have pictures that aren't right on the packs...

for me I buy tubers very rarely now, I prefer to grow from seed.
Oxford, UK

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #468 on: November 15, 2013, 08:55:27 PM »
On the dried collected tubers - I thought that some cyclamen were now being grown in fields (presumably from seed) and then harvested and imported as dried tubers. I think I've seen some packs that made some statement about not being wild collected although they look the same as the infamous woolworth's packs of days gone by.

and of course they still have pictures that aren't right on the packs...

for me I buy tubers very rarely now, I prefer to grow from seed.
I've seen some of those, Mark - but they all tend to be little, regularly sized and shaped tubers- nothing  like that giant bought at  the show.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #469 on: November 15, 2013, 11:26:30 PM »
hmm, that's a shame. Overall the whole sustainable growing of cyclamen in Turkey seemed a better answer for all concerned than simply ripping them out of habitat. I'm surprised that the importers still find wild collected plants an attractive proposition.
Oxford, UK

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #470 on: November 15, 2013, 11:30:14 PM »
Since there are packets of the "expected" type and size of tubers for sale there must be a degree of sustainable farming going on - maybe just not enough . :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

SJW

« Reply #471 on: November 16, 2013, 12:32:36 AM »
Interesting. Is the Monte Smith form of graecum anatolicum? I have a plant raised from CS seed (so it may not be true) that has growth points all over it.

Mark, yes I think the Monte Smith form (ie ex. Rhodes) is graecum anatolicum.
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

Gerry Webster

« Reply #472 on: November 16, 2013, 11:14:56 AM »

The provenance of the 3 plants I have of C. graecum anatolicum (from Peter Moore & Pat Nichols)  is said to be Monte Smith, Rhodes. They are quite different in flower though not in leaf.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #473 on: November 16, 2013, 02:29:40 PM »
mine is an odd thing. Basically green with slightly raised cream veins. Never a flower so far and it's tiny. I have another "anatolicum" that has more typical leaves and is also tiny as in the leaves don't even get over the rim of the pot.
Oxford, UK

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #474 on: November 21, 2013, 03:16:02 PM »
I visited the local Garden Centre today.  ...........so I left with my bags of grit.

Only one? I seem to go through potting grit at an alarming rate!
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Roma

« Reply #475 on: November 21, 2013, 07:44:57 PM »
It was 3 bags, Ralph.  I only meant to buy two but there was a bit off per bag if I bought three.  I'm running out of John Innes now.  Inverurie Garden Centre doesn't stock it and the last I bought from Homebase (seed compost nearly a year ago) was so wet it still hasn't dried out.  I got potting compost in Dobbies more recently and it was ok.  It is further away and I hate that place.  I found out last time I was there the chap who looked after the house plants and I've known for over 30 years had left.  He was working at Smith & Sons when I went there before I went to the Cruickshank Garden and stayed on when it was taken over by Findlay Clark and then by Dobbies.  I heard from another source all the full time staff have been sacked and it is all part time staff now.  Even a few weeks after the new shop opened the plants looked neglected.  It is a windy site and pots dry out quickly but there are not enough knowledgable or ?interested staff or maybe just not enough staff to look after the plants properly.  Didn't mean to rant but I think all you people out there who know their plants don't like to see them neglected before sale.   
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #476 on: November 21, 2013, 08:42:19 PM »
For Dobbies read Tesco!
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #477 on: November 21, 2013, 11:22:47 PM »
I sucumbed and bought to C.cilicium in bags, it says cultivated stock. No idea if they will survive. The picture on the pack looks like a persicum cultivar, bright pink with no nasal blotch. The plants are of course though cilicium, they are already in flower.
Oxford, UK

SJW

« Reply #478 on: November 22, 2013, 11:56:06 AM »
mine is an odd thing. Basically green with slightly raised cream veins. Never a flower so far and it's tiny. I have another "anatolicum" that has more typical leaves and is also tiny as in the leaves don't even get over the rim of the pot.

Mark - I read in the new Cyclamen book that the Monte Smith site is an "exposed windswept cliff and the windy conditions have created the most compact cushion forms of C. graecum often with leaves as broad as they are long. This characteristic feature is passed on to the next generation and is maintained in cultivation." Perhaps yours is an extreme example of this? Is anatolicum slower/more temperamental than normal C. graecum? Recently, I was debating whether to discard an ungerminated pot of anatolicum seeds sown in 2010 but noticed yesterday that one seedling has now come through. Better late than never! This Cyclamen Society seed was wild collected in May 2010 in the Goynuk Gorge, Beydag, Turkey. I'm sure I've read on the SRGC forum about the good graecum anatolicum leaf forms in this area (perhaps the collector is a forumist?) so I'm pleased that at least one of the seeds has eventually germinated.

Gerry's observation about anatolicum tubers having growing points all over rather than just from the centre is interesting. All my mature tubers came from mixed graecum seed so I don't know their subspecies status. Pretty sure none is candicum but one may be anatolicum although the flower markings aren't conclusive and none is scented. I'll take a closer look at the tuber growing points now though, if this is a consistent diagnostic feature.   
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #479 on: November 22, 2013, 02:20:54 PM »
This Cyclamen Society seed was wild collected in May 2010 in the Goynuk Gorge, Beydag, Turkey. I'm sure I've read on the SRGC forum about the good graecum anatolicum leaf forms in this area (perhaps the collector is a forumist?) so I'm pleased that at least one of the seeds has eventually germinated.

Cyclamen graecum grows in countless numbers (as it does over the whole area) in the gorge at Goynuk. This is a start to the walk to see Crocus wattiorum and once across the river the path which is part of the Anatolia long distance footpath follows an irrigation channel. Along this are magnificent plants both in size and in wonderful leaf forms of C. graecum. Leaf size is totally variable and ranges in my plants which are from my own seed  from just over 1 cm to 4 cms in diameter. The contribution to the Cyclamen society seed exchange is not mine.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal