We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2013  (Read 76443 times)

cycnich

• Mister 1000
Re: Cyclamen 2013
« Reply #510 on: December 01, 2013, 05:02:58 PM »
I checked the numbers on my Cyclamen graecum plants from CSE seed and realise I have a few from Monte Smith from CSE 91326 sown in October 2004.
The first two are the same plant flowering on October 20th and with more leaves on November 24th.  I have another two but they are just thinking about producing leaves now.
There is a cse plant collected on monte smith that always produces flowers identical to candicum and this may be what you have here. I am not sure of the collection number but these flowers sure look like candicum.
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #511 on: December 01, 2013, 05:24:30 PM »
I will try to get more info from martyn denney about the the collection number of the candicum like plant.

SJW

« Reply #512 on: December 01, 2013, 06:14:34 PM »
There is a cse plant collected on monte smith that always produces flowers identical to candicum and this may be what you have here. I am not sure of the collection number but these flowers sure look like candicum.

Hi Pat, as I have a pot of seedlings from the same collection number I was also interested to see the flower on Roma's plant! You've noted before that Monte Smith is steeply sloping. Checking the Field Notes, all it says is that 91326 was from site 91/14 - Monte Smith - and that C. graecum grew in three types of microclimate:
1. Pockets and crevices in conglomerate.
2. Amidst dense shrubby and herbaceous vegetation in full sun.
3. On virtually bare soil covered with needle litter in deep shade below Pinus and Thuja.

Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

SJW

« Reply #513 on: December 01, 2013, 06:18:42 PM »
And there's a photo of the parent plant here: http://www.cyclamen.org/cse_set.html

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #514 on: December 01, 2013, 06:53:19 PM »
Perhaps my memory is not so good amd the plant I am referring to came from the 98 field trip. Either way there is a picture under 98/21D on the website of monte smith as I remember it and where I would have collected seed.

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #515 on: December 04, 2013, 05:33:56 PM »
Very few Cyclamen graecum still in flower but here are two C.graecum ssp candicum with flowers still hanging on.

SJW

« Reply #516 on: December 05, 2013, 06:09:18 PM »
Very few Cyclamen graecum still in flower but here are two C.graecum ssp candicum with flowers still hanging on.

Hanging on perhaps, but still looking good though, Melvyn. My graecum have finished but it'll soon to be time for the winter and spring flowerers to take over and there's always some foliage interest, of course. These young rohlfsianum leaves caught my eye today.

Roma

« Reply #517 on: December 08, 2013, 09:15:57 PM »
Attractive rohlfsianum leaves there, Steve.  My plants have rather plain leaves.  No 1 and no 3 (not shown) have similar leaves and paler flowers and are from the same seed parent.  I used to have 2 of the darker one but it picked up a vine weevil when it spent too long in the greenhouse after a show.
These pictures were taken on November 9th.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Roma

« Reply #518 on: December 08, 2013, 09:22:34 PM »
Which of these leaves is correct for Cyclamen coum albissimum 'Lake Effect' ? or is it variable? They haven't flowered yet so I do not know if the flower is right.
C. coum albissimum 'George Bisson' looks to be hederifolium :(

SJW

« Reply #519 on: December 09, 2013, 05:15:27 PM »
My plants have rather plain leaves.  No 1 and no 3 (not shown) have similar leaves and paler flowers and are from the same seed parent.  I used to have 2 of the darker one but it picked up a vine weevil when it spent too long in the greenhouse after a show.

Hi Roma - thought you'd be interested to see the leaves of my rohlfsianum plants grown from Cruickshank Botanic Gardens seed (which I think you donated quite some time ago now!). In the first photo, the plant half in shot at the top is from my own seed, the rest are all from CBG.

SJW

« Reply #520 on: December 09, 2013, 05:26:25 PM »
Which of these leaves is correct for Cyclamen coum albissimum 'Lake Effect' ? or is it variable? They haven't flowered yet so I do not know if the flower is right.
C. coum albissimum 'George Bisson' looks to be hederifolium :(

I haven't grown 'Lake Effect' from seed so I don't know how reliably true-to-type the seedlings are, nor the variability of the leaves. But here's one I bought from a nursery last year for comparison. I wouldn't have thought the pewter leaf seedling in your pot would qualify as 'Lake Effect' even if it turns out to have white flowers?

Roma

« Reply #521 on: December 09, 2013, 09:14:57 PM »
Thanks for the pictures, Steve.  The Cyclamen rohlfsianum from CBG seed look similar to mine apart from the last one. I must get round to going in there and getting pictures of the original plants.
I thought the pewter C. coum was unlikely to be 'Lake Effect'.
I am hoping someone will compile a guide to Cyclamen cultivars showing leaves and flowers before I get too old to be still growing them ;D.
Why is Cyclamen cilicium 'Bowles Variety' still in seed lists when noone knows what it looked like?  When I grew it the leaves were unremarkable and the flowers varied from pale pink to white with a pink nose (my favourite) to pure white.

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #522 on: December 10, 2013, 01:13:52 PM »
Beautiful C. rohlfsianum leaves Roma and Steve! I agree in doubting the pewter coums could be 'Lake Effect', but if it would flower pure white it should be fabulous!
Here are among others still Cyclamen hederifolium crassifolium in flower.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #523 on: December 10, 2013, 07:04:12 PM »
Here are among others still Cyclamen hederifolium crassifolium in flower.

Some very good leafforms Hans !
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

SJW

« Reply #524 on: December 11, 2013, 12:03:36 AM »
Some very good leafforms Hans !

Seconded! The leaves in the bottom photo look similar to ones I have on crassifolium from Kithira and Zakinthos.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal